GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Forge Twincooler + Golf R install help

MK6GTI-10

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys,

I recently purchased a Forge Twincooler and A golf R intercooler for my car. Got both of them for a fairly good price and decided to tackle the job this weekend.

The problem I ran into is that the forge intercooler is designed to run with the OEM intercooler and its connectors. Where as the Golf intercooler looks like a hose just goes on it.

Does anyone know how to run the forge intercooler with golf r?

For now I am about to install my OEM intercooler and run it with the Forge intercooler, but I'd like to run the golf R intercooler in the future.

I know this has been done before, its also been done with the S3 IC but I can't find any info as to how it was done.

Thanks for the help!

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Have you tried installing it yet? Curious if the forge silicone y-pipe has enough length to just fit over the golf r intercooler inlet then you can just clamp it down. I know the forge/ebay kits you have to trim the silicone pipe to fit with the factory installation couplers but idk maybe theres just enough length uncut.

MK6GTI-10

Passed Driver's Ed
Have you tried installing it yet? Curious if the forge silicone y-pipe has enough length to just fit over the golf r intercooler inlet then you can just clamp it down. I know the forge/ebay kits you have to trim the silicone pipe to fit with the factory installation couplers but idk maybe theres just enough length uncut.

Yes I did try to install it.

The Forge hoses are long enough, thats not the problem. The diameter of hoses and intercooler are different.

With factory intercooler, you have the adapters the connect to the GTI IC and the Forge Hoses.

The Golf R does not use these adapters and the diameter of the hoses provided by Forge are to large. Hence my predicament.

For now, I am about to reinstall the GTI intercooler.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Hm, maybe get a short silicone reducer to fit inlet, then put a short metal tube between them to bind them together and secure with some hose clamps.

Uberryan

Banned
If you're just going to reinstall the GTI intercooler, you might as well just install a larger intercooler in the stock location and sell the forge and Golf R one. Keep the GTI one for going back to stock. APR sells a decent one, and there's a few others out there. Having two larger areas of potential pressure drop/loss isn't going to help your setup no matter what mods you have done. Temps might be marginally better, but your spool time is going to feel like forever.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I have the Ebay twintercooler with stock IC on mine. Didnt really notice any lag. I actually ran my fastest time with it at the track. I felt like I was more consistent between runs as well. Could have been other factors though. IAT def dropped a bit based on logs.

Uberryan

Banned
I used to run the Forge twin unit on my car, then swapped it out for a godspeed intercooler v2, which is the APR clone. Does a great job, heat soak is non-existent, but I don't beat on the car nearly as much as I used to. I noticed a distinct difference in spool time and low-end torque 'umpf' with the forge twin on vs the godspeed. I had a massive BSH/Garrett intercooler which is just the single FMIC style, and that felt really good... but it wouldn't fit properly under the front bumper without trimming, but my $0.02... stick to single surface intercooler setups... those twintercoolers leave too many potential weak points with the unevenly trimmed silicon and weak clamps, and of course the added surface area causing the pressure drop.

MK6GTI-10

Passed Driver's Ed
After going through all this, I am definitely considering selling the setup and going a different route. I did have some reach out to me who ran this same setup and they use a 3-ply silicone hose on the Golf R IC and slid the Forge Silicone hoses over it, said it was tight but it fit.

Anyone have any experience with the Wagner Intercooler?
I have a CBFA car and I read a forum post that the sensor in the radiator can cause some fitment issues.

Uberryan

Banned
After going through all this, I am definitely considering selling the setup and going a different route. I did have some reach out to me who ran this same setup and they use a 3-ply silicone hose on the Golf R IC and slid the Forge Silicone hoses over it, said it was tight but it fit.

Anyone have any experience with the Wagner Intercooler?
I have a CBFA car and I read a forum post that the sensor in the radiator can cause some fitment issues.

Wagner is just a black APR variant. That said, I would opt for it over your current setup. Can't comment on the rad sensor though.