GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2.0 TSI Injector Failure... How Common?

s word

Ready to race!
I'm at 13,500 miles. The car was having hard starting issues. I scanned it yesterday & got pending codes P053f & P2293. Today the engine light came on, I scanned it again & got the same codes. It's at the dealer now. I'm modified quite a bit & holding my breath that it will be covered. Fuel system parts are stupid expensive. I can't help but wonder why on the fsI motor with K04 they used s3 injectors & s3 hpfp .

My injectors had been stuck open a few times now. Last time was right after a P2015 code with intake manifold, carbon cleaning service. I left the lot, first light car sputters and dies. 4 new injectors installed.

EliPR

...The technician told me that injectors 3 and 4 were stuck open. They found faults P087 (low fuel rail pressure) , P0300 (random misfire), P053F (cold start pressure). There were also codes for misfires in cylinders 1, 3, and 4...

I'm having the same problem with my '13 GTI and it's only in the 5K miles, it's right now on the dealership I hope that they resolve this problem pronto!, I'm a little disappointed with this since I buy the car 5 months ago, this is really sad and frustrating.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
Not sure about you guys, but I got a letter in the mail from Volkswagen the other day regarding this. The intake manifold and injectors are getting a 10 year/120k mile warranty extension since the failures are so common.

Hope that helps.

MK5GOLFGTI1

Ready to race!
I got the same letter on my 2009. So now I have 10 yr on DSG, Injectors, Intake Manifold and 3rd Brake Light.

All I need is a letter for timing chain tensioner and water pump and I will feel even better. Come on VW, where is it?

cosmokramer

My GTI just had an injector stuck wide open. Car I believe went into limp mode, I pulled over, turned it off and that was it. No restart and I had to get it towed.

The dealership replaced the injector, however, no oil change was done.

What is the likelihood of oil contamination with a stuck injector?

I think I am going to get an oil change done anyway for peace of mind.

boki

Ready to race!
^The advice would be to change the oil for the peace of mind. Unburned gas could leak down the sidewall of your cylinders and behind the piston rings and dilute the oil to the point where oil loses it's lubricating efficiency causing the parts (crank bearings, rods and other internals) to overheat and bind, peal, chip or deform. Changing oil is so much cheaper than damaging engine internals and possibly doing the overhaul sooner than expected.

Last edited:

postulio

Passed Driver's Ed
So I've had 4 injectors fail on me in about a 2 month period.

The first three that died (two different occurrences) were possibly due to a faulty fuel pump control module (under the rear seat). However I just had #3 fail again and am very nervous as to what could be causing this. I know I have carbon build up on the intake valves and am getting a couple of misfires here and there (according to mode$06 diagnostic, 0-3 average misfires per 10 trips), not getting any CEL codes yet.

car is 09 2.0 TSI with about 95k miles. the spark plugs were replaced at about 45k, not sure if the coils were ever done, if that matters. PCV/TB/HPFP/LPFP/MAF/Intake Mani were all replaced relatively recently as well. Replaced the pre-cat o2 sensor recently as well.

zrickety

The Fixer
What kind of gas do you use? I have 2 cars over 100k on original injectors, no carbon cleaning or issues. Italian tune up goes a long way, drive it harder!

TiCoyote

Ready to race!
Mine just went at 55k mi. Got stuck open pulling onto the highway. Lots of smoke. Had to wait in a parking lot for a tow for 2hrs in 25degree weather.

The dealer fixed it under a warranty extension.

I just had the valves de-carbonized last week. I had been using Stop'n'Shop gas, premium grade (aka high octane cheapo). I'm planning to switch to BP or Shell on every other fill-up.

firsttimebuyer

Ready to race!
Can you seafoam these cars to clean em out?

firsttimebuyer

Ready to race!
Oh ok, Well can someone whos tried it chime in. Or can someone tell me its a resounding no lol.

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Oh ok, Well can someone whos tried it chime in. Or can someone tell me its a resounding no lol.

I used Seafoam on my previous oil change to hopefully get rid of/ prevent some carbon buildup. Ran like shit for a few minutes while it smoked it all out, havent had any issues in the last 7500 miles, so I doubt I will.

I also did mine through an extra port on my boost tap rather than removing a sensor on the intake