GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

cutting a spare key

fredf

Go Kart Champion
Hi guys

I have always made a spare key for my cars because (yes, I know, stupid) on 3 occasions I have managed to lock the doors with my key inside. So I tape a spare under the frame for an emergency.

I only need a key to get the doors open, not with a transponder to start the engine. It's for a 2011 GTI.

Anyone know somewhere in Toronto to get a blank and have it cut at a reasonable rate? I have tried a couple of locksmiths out of the phone book and they are not able to do VW keys.
Thanks

jasonweremy

Ready to race!
What about using the valet key that you get when you buy the car? You get two transponder keys and the valet key for when you take it into the dealer. Would the valet key work to open the door? I am not too sure if it's going to be cheap to get another key like you have unless you get it made from the dealer. These chip keys are "apparently" not cheap to make. Your keys are registered under a code number for when you go to the dealer to get your keys made they can make the ones that are just for your car itself.

fredf

Go Kart Champion
Jason: I don't need the key to have a chip. Yes, the valet key does open the door. But I want a key for me, one for my son and I thought the valet key would be nice to just leave in the house in case one of us misplaced our key.

The key I want would be a valet, non chipped key, to stick under the frame. The dealer charges $60 and I thought maybe if I could get one made for $15 to $20 just to open the door, that would be all I need.... if it can be done.

koolgreen

Ready to race!
No general key maker cuts this type of key.
Obviously, the cutting tool is entirely different than most typical cylinders.
So the Valet key is the cheapest way to go.

My understanding is that it has a chip in it.
But I am not sure about that.

Also, audi used to make a plastic key that has the same pattern as the metal and is used in emergency.
But you must be careful and not use it often as it is plastic and cannot handle constant twisting on it.
But I had mine for ten years and maybe used it half a dozen times as I kept it in my wallet.

Geofux

Ready to race!
A valet key will have the chip in it. No other way around it really... Not many dealers even have their own key machine. My dealer does but VW stepped up the security with their keys and now we are unable to cut the keys.

Your cheapest bet is to get the valey key for $60 because it will come cut for your car.. you don't need it to be programmed unless you plan on using it in your ignition.