GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What type of coolant?

rc0224

Ready to race!
Was washing my car today and saw my coolant level is under the min. line...
Did some search and came across this thread...
Therefore, wondering If I should buy this to top up the coolant or go to the stealership to buy it from them and do the mixing myself

truuuuuuuuu

Ready to race!
Was washing my car today and saw my coolant level is under the min. line...
Did some search and came across this thread...
Therefore, wondering If I should buy this to top up the coolant or go to the stealership to buy it from them and do the mixing myself

What you should do is get your water pump checked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Davespence20

Ready to race!
What you should do is get your water pump checked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Yepp this for sure. Around waterfest my light would come on every now and then and I'd just top it off. Maybe a month and a half later I needed a new water pump.

Avant

Ready to race!
You're fine if you run a tad under the minimum line. Just go to the dealership and mix distilled water yourself. The car manual/handbook states what kind of coolant will fit our cars. I'm not really sure if I would trust those coolants that you posted. Plus I don't think you're supposed to mix an off-brand with factory coolant. There's an infographic somewhere for what kind of coolant can mix with what.. like G12/G12+/G13/etc. Someone else should post it :)

Check your undercarriage to see if there's any liquid just sitting there.

Edmundo

Ready to race!
G12 coolant is the recommended coolant by VW. While the dealer only has the gallon size nowadays, 1.5 liter containers are available from selected vendors. As usual, please check to confirm a low coolant level is not secondary to a leak

cbs_24

Ready to race!
Might wanna check out your water pump. Definitely keep an eye on your coolant level, and if it continues to drop, take it in to the dealer.

GTI_MD

I was losing coolant ever SINCE i had my water pump checked (screaming engine after running hard). Apparently the dealership over torqued the plastic inlet flange thingy on the bottom of the engine when they replaced the pump (still have warranty, I didn't look I just lost coolant and complained).
Anyway.. lost small amounts of coolant for 10k miles, figured it was a leaky coolant tank cap, then all of a sudden lost the rest. Like.. big pool under the car, thank goodness for coolant reservoir sensor. Had it towed to dealer, and they found that that plastic attachment thingy had given up. When I asked how... they said "its plastic, these things happen" which is true I suppose. My mk1? or mk2? one of those, had the same type plastic inlet on the top of the engine and I lost 2 of those for unknown reasons... just noticed the left over gunk from the leaking coolant till it started dripping.

Anyway.... watch it.. smell for coolant. It doesn't just disappear.

rc0224

Ready to race!
The last time I was in for maintenance at dealer was at 45k
Now I'm sitting at 70k...If I go in to have a check at the dealership; and If there is no problem with the water pump....I believe I'll have to pay for the labour...since Im in canada

ManWellmk6

Ready to race!
I was looking under the hood today and notice that my coolant was low when i just took it to the dealer like 1 or 2 mothns ago(to top off all fluids) is that normal? or should i go get it check?

Ps i drive my gti everyday and i live in ca weres i use the ac alot

Sent from my LG-P659 using Tapatalk