GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hood insulator falling off, how to reattach?

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
As you can see in the picture, the 3 tab things are super soft now and they cannot hold the weight of the hood insulator anymore. Any tips on how to reattach it?

It's probably fine, but I'm paranoid it may be resting on the engine, which, you know, gets hot....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
im not sure where to start on this - the topic has been discussed thoroughly in various threads already - i'd refer you to them by suggesting you search on here for them.

but, to summarize:

- hood insulation is, by design, a flame retardant. resting on the engine will melt it but not incinerate.
- the primary function of this insulation is to dampen noise, not suppress engine fires. as such, it is not necessary. I removed mine, and enjoy the increased engine noise. Some people argue that the heat that your paint will see will cause degradation of the paint - unless you're in a hot climate and are perpetually heatsoaking your engine, the heat from your turbo with is located below your engine will not harm your paint. if this is a concern, i'd recommend getting a turbo blanket because this would insulate the hottest part of the system.
- if you're adamant about having this insulation, you can buy an OEM one on here, a dealership, or any number of online vendors. aftermarket ones are also available.

nagokart

Ready to race!
Mine is hanging off too. It was fine until I removed it to clean it up. I was thinking of gluing some thin sheets of metal onto the tabs to strengthen it.

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
Take cut lengths of coat hanger and thread them into the tab as stiffeners. Wrap the ends with tape after you have finished.

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie

speeding_ant

Go Kart Newbie

riceburner

Autocross Champion
I removed mine for the turbo noises. The only trade-off is you also hear all of the enhlgines 'beautiful' clickly/clanky noises like the valvetrain, timing chain, direct injection and n80 valve lol

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Mine sagged and was on the verge of falling out. Of course, humidity and all makes it worse down here in FL. I know what everyone says, oh, it doesn't matter, it's just for noise, the heat doesn't hurt the hood or paint. I don't think VW would have put it there if it didn't matter, it would be just another thing they could skimp on and not worry about. I think it does have some value, I got a replacement on ECS tuning. But then, I'm particular....:laugh:

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Mine sagged and was on the verge of falling out. Of course, humidity and all makes it worse down here in FL. I know what everyone says, oh, it doesn't matter, it's just for noise, the heat doesn't hurt the hood or paint. I don't think VW would have put it there if it didn't matter, it would be just another thing they could skimp on and not worry about. I think it does have some value, I got a replacement on ECS tuning. But then, I'm particular....:laugh:

to each their own, but if VW put it there with purpose it was for noise reduction only. they probably didn't like the engine noise or though it would be offputting to the average consumer, the target of the mk6...

hack-man162

Passed Driver's Ed
I gave in and took mine off last weekend. If anything, it is very slightly louder in the drivers seat? I don't think it made much difference though.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I haven't had mine in for 3-4 years now and I haven't had any negative side effects from it even as a FL resident.