GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HELP! Screw lost to intake manifold

ccmk6

So I recently intalled a boost gauge and a forge motorsports boost tap onto my PCV breather hose. While in the process of checking for any boost leaks after installation (engine was running but idle) one of the port plug screws fell through into the hosing. I immediately started hearing a rattling noise (caused by the screw) and rushed to shut off the engine, only ran for 5 seconds at most. Am I screwed and caused irreparable damage to my engine or is it possible the screw is in the intake manifold or can be recovered? I am 90% sure its somewhere either in the cylinder or IM.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Really only way would be to pull off the intake manifold and check and or boroscope inside of cylinders to see if its in there and pull it out with a magnet. But yeah screw can def cause damage to a cylinder if its gets sucked in while running.

dcpppf

Ready to race!
Yup, i'd be pulling off the manifold and looking in each cylinder with a boroscope. I can't imagine much damage being done, but I honestly don't know. Big thing is just getting the screw back out of the cylinder as it probably got sucked in.

torga

Autocross Champion
Am I screwed

Nice pun.
But yeah, what the others have said. The IM definitely needs to come off and you need to find that screw before anything else. If it actually got sucked into a cylinder, there might be some damage. If you're lucky, maybe it's just some light galling/pitting on the piston.
But I honestly don't know how much space remains between the top of the piston at TDC and the ceiling on the head or an open valve. So I could be full of hot air.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Really only way would be to pull off the intake manifold and check and or boroscope inside of cylinders to see if its in there and pull it out with a magnet. But yeah screw can def cause damage to a cylinder if its gets sucked in while running.

This is what I was gonna say. If you're lucky it was just bouncing off the valves but my guess would be it got sucked in.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Hate to say it but at the very least I expect valve damage. What are the odds the valve opened and the screw just fell in there, not likely. Man, that was not a good idea to have the car running!
I would pull plugs and go fishing with a magnet. If the head\valve is jacked I would just drive the piss out of it anyway. At worst buy a low milage motor, I see them for $1500 in my area. That sucks man!
(Is the pcv hose before or after the flaps? If before you might be lucky and flaps caught it since they would be "closed")

ccmk6

Hate to say it but at the very least I expect valve damage. What are the odds the valve opened and the screw just fell in there, not likely. Man, that was not a good idea to have the car running!
I would pull plugs and go fishing with a magnet. If the head\valve is jacked I would just drive the piss out of it anyway. At worst buy a low milage motor, I see them for $1500 in my area. That sucks man!
(Is the pcv hose before or after the flaps? If before you might be lucky and flaps caught it since they would be "closed")

PCV hose is before the flaps, the hose to the right of the connector. Picture isnt mine but thats where it fell in.

Attachments

• 56DAA23A-0D19-4805-AB07-5602E4278C3F.jpeg
    56DAA23A-0D19-4805-AB07-5602E4278C3F.jpeg
    271.5 KB · Views: 441

ccmk6

I’ll get the IM off tomorrow and inspect the cylinders if its not in the IM. Will the valves be in a position to where I can route a boroscope under them and see inside the cylinders? Hopefully I wont be making a thread “what a screw can do to your engine”.

OhioMK6

Ready to race!
I’ll get the IM off tomorrow and inspect the cylinders if its not in the IM. Will the valves be in a position to where I can route a boroscope under them and see inside the cylinders? Hopefully I wont be making a thread “what a screw can do to your engine”.

You can look in the cylinders via the spark plug holes since all of the valves won't be open.

ccmk6

Got the IM off, throttle body off, and spark plugs out. There seems to be like slight surface scratches on cylinder 3’s head but nothing too bad. Cant seem to actually find the screw, I dont even know if its in cyl 3. I also realized its not magnetic so im going to sweep around the cylinder with some duct tape on a coat hanger. I’ll post pictures tmr of what I see, planning to crank it so I can get cyl 3’s head lower so I can see into it a little better. Definitely nothing that requires replacement parts.