GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Attack of the gravel...

proffsionl

So, I am going down the highway (in the middle of nowhere) when a gravel truck I'm passing starts leaking gravel....all over my car (at 70 mph).

So, now I have about a dozen little rock chips in my paint on the front bumper, hood, and quarter panel (some down to the metal).

The car is not even a month old and this just pissed me off beyond belief. Anyway, now I have to figure out my options for fixing it. I really don't want a total respray but would invite any ideas for touch-ups, etc.

Argh!!! :mad:

Krazy_Z

Go Kart Champion
This sucks man you may be able to get a professional touch up done for a few bills. I have seen some touch ups done and you with how new they are you will never even notice that there was one even done.

Bender1

Banned
This sucks man you may be able to get a professional touch up done for a few bills. I have seen some touch ups done and you with how new they are you will never even notice that there was one even done.

Yup - new cars definitely take touchups better than old.

hobbes

Ready to race!
Did you get the license plate of the truck? It's supposed to be illegal for shit to come flying off of your vehicle. If you did, report it to the cops and get the driver to pay for it.

Bruh Man

Go Kart Champion
Sorry to hear man, I'm dreading the night I get stuck behind one of our salt trucks this winter. I would definitely follow up on the plate # if you got it, worth a shot you know.

SVS

Passed Driver's Ed
Thats a bummer, really sorry to hear that.

I'd explore touch-up as the first option for sure, unless the number and severity of the chips makes a complete panel paint a more viable option. Good luck either way.

coreypgh

Passed Driver's Ed
Were you able to spot the name of the trucking company? This happened to my girlfriend and I in her MINI S. We were able to call the company and give them a truck number. They confirmed it's route, and made good by paying for the repair to the large chip in our windshield. Said we weren't the first to call about it that day.

TOE_FAST

www.TonyScavo.com
So, I am going down the highway (in the middle of nowhere) when a gravel truck I'm passing starts leaking gravel....all over my car (at 70 mph). :mad:

This is why I have a 0 deductible on comprehensive and $250 on collision - I'd be paying zero out of pocket whichever route they went - food for thought OP - having good coverage is key.

NEOHMark

Ready to race!
I would be extremely leery of disturbing the integrity of the original paint. No matter how good the body shop is, they don't have the tools to re-galvenize steel (if they have to take it down to bare metal), or get a finish anywhere near as orange-peel-free as the factory. If the chips are normal sized, and you don't glom too much of it on, touch up paint can be almost undetectable. You get any amount of orange peel on the car from a 'journeyman' body shop? My guess is you'll regret it. I just waxed ours yesterday and I continue to marvel at how pure the finish is.

If you absolutely want to get it sprayed, if it were me, I'd search out the absolute best, most studly custom paint shop in the region to get it done.

P

plac

I would be extremely leery of disturbing the integrity of the original paint. No matter how good the body shop is, they don't have the tools to re-galvenize steel (if they have to take it down to bare metal), or get a finish anywhere near as orange-peel-free as the factory. If the chips are normal sized, and you don't glom too much of it on, touch up paint can be almost undetectable. You get any amount of orange peel on the car from a 'journeyman' body shop? My guess is you'll regret it. I just waxed ours yesterday and I continue to marvel at how pure the finish is.

If you absolutely want to get it sprayed, if it were me, I'd search out the absolute best, most studly custom paint shop in the region to get it done.

+1. The body shops just dont have the same baking techiques to get the paint as nice as original. Although I did have pretty good luck on my Alpine white 135i when I got my rear bumper corner resprayed once..

FN in MT

Ready to race!
So SAD.

Welcome to MY world. I think my 2010 was 2 months old and I had a similar situation, though my rock was golfball sized...denting my hood and damaging it down to the bare metal. Then a few weeks later...smashed W/S!!

Unsure about TX but many states have what they call "loaded so as to spill" statutes. Damage from an illegally loaded vehicle is the liability of the violator.

FN

THX-1138

Passed Driver's Ed
My question to the OP or anyone in a similar situation, why didn't you slow down to gain distance from the dump truck? You probably saw a couple of pebbles coming out of it to give you ample warning sign to slow down and avoid the truck. I place my self a nice distance from any truck or pickup that appears to have carried debris with them, not just for paint damage but safety and avoiding chipped or broken front windshield.