GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

is this price I got normal?

vitaminC

Passed Driver's Ed
I was asking price quotes from my local VW dealers. I am looking for a GTI 4 door base model with only DSG and HID, and looks like I am running into some problems.

the 1st problem is it is very hard to find a car that I specifically want. most of the dealers have the cars with stuff in them, and the prices were more than $30,000. if a GTi costs more than $30000 I think I am going to go for a BMW, and also no dealer has a base model GTI in carbon steel gray.

I went to the closest dealer to my house and they told me they did not have the car on their lot, and they could not locate one for me. the only luck I could try was ordering the car from VW so I can have the car in exact way I want it. the price I got was $27000 out to door, with DSG but no HID. if I want HID it is going to be about $28000. I live in NJ and the sales tax is 7%.

Do you guys think it is a good deal to buy a automatic 4 door base model GTI with HID for $28000 out to door? I kinda want to pay less than $27000, is that possible?

subdoc

Passed Driver's Ed
Try Edmunds.com and review the TMV of the car in your area. Thats what i used.

vitaminC

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks, the edmunds TMV is 25,770, if I time 25770 to 1.07 + 400 registration fee it is 27974, which is very close to the quote that dealer gave to me. so I guess 28000 is the way to go...

but there is a invoice price of 24746, looks like I cannot negotiate to that price, am I correct?

CBRadio

If you are doing a built to order GTI, it is near impossible to get very much off the sticker price.

I recently got a good deal because I walked in, told them the color I wanted and they didn't have it. So I settled for my 3rd color choice (United Gray) and couldn't be happier about the car and deal.

ms6bb0y

I got the following options on my GTI:
-Candy White
-18 inch alloy detroit wheels
-bi-xenon lights
-sun roof
-dynaudio system
-rubber mats
-manual
for 24,485 not including tags and taxes...

If you want something, dont settle for whatever is on the lot.. otherwise, youre spending money on a compromise.. and money is hard earned... Haggle and go to a dealership that does well. They're more likely to offer better prices because they're already making money in their other sales...

NJ GTi

vitaminC

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks!

if your car is 24,485, then I believe the OTD is around 26500!! I know your car is a 2 door and manual but you have so many options that should have driven the price all the way to more than 27000!

I just look for an automatic 4 door with HID and I cannot believe the dealer is asking me for 28000 OTD...I told them I do not want ANY OTHER options...

do you mind to tell me which dealer did you go to? I probably should contact with them...

PureDrive

Go Kart Champion
Just read this and had to say that some of the pricing is a little crazy, imo. The dealership up the street from where I work has two GTI's on the lot and both are over $30K.......for a GTI, that is simply crazy.........

vitaminC

Passed Driver's Ed
exactly. if a 200 HP FWD car sells for more than 30000, I would go for a BMW, not a GTI, and I believe a lot of people would think the same way...

vitaminC

Passed Driver's Ed
What BMW u talking about?

128i, with starting price of $29,000. of course if you add all the options to 128i it will be more than a fully loaded GTI, but you get RWD and 6 cyl plus a BMW brand, and the price difference won't be that much.

I do not like 128i, I just like the GTI, but $30,000 for a GTI is simply too much, that's why I asked the dealer for a base model with only HID on it.

blueshirts0819

Ready to race!
hey Vitamin C. where in NJ are you from? I'm from Bridgewater area and maybe Paul from Millennium VW can help you out. My GTI was ordered 2 months ago took delivery last Wednesday and have every option (except for NAV). The car came out to be like $29500 before tax but it feels like a luxury car.

If you can wait a few months maybe this is an option for you. Email me if you need help.

ForkInBrain

Passed Driver's Ed
If you are doing a built to order GTI, it is near impossible to get very much off the sticker price.

I recently got a good deal because I walked in, told them the color I wanted and they didn't have it. So I settled for my 3rd color choice (United Gray) and couldn't be happier about the car and deal.

Really? With a custom order, you are in control (unless you're in a hurry). One way to get a deal on a custom order is to go with the internet/online sales person that most dealers have. The dealer I went with offered me $143 off invoice, plus tax, plus reasonable charges for tax/doc/license, and that's it.

These sales people are used to dealing with folks who research the car ahead of time and know exactly what they want. Also, over email, you're in a better position, since time is on your side and you can carefully verify everything with zero pressure. A floor salesman is going to want to close the deal that day, and so has incentive to steer you away from custom orders. Internet sales folks are used to an email exchange, and know their competitor is literally a click away.

I used edmunds.com to send out requests for bids to the 5 closest WW dealers. They all came back with automated answers and I replied to them with a message that told them they had one chance to get a winning bid:

I'm ready to buy/order now. Today I am collecting bids/quotes from a
set of dealers. I would like a bid that includes all costs to drive
the car off the lot, including taxes, license, fees. I'll go with the
lowest price after one round of this, which should minimize both of
our time while giving me some assurance that I'm getting a descent
deal.

I then listed the car + options I wanted. All of the dealers played along with this. I got bids that ranged from $28,495 to $27,433 -- a range of $1000. Two were below invoice, and the lowest $250 below invoice.

Bonus: Getting multiple quotes lets you spot outliers and games. E.g. if one dealer charges a lot more for doc/license than others.

Gotcha: Verify the math on each bid. Add up invoice cost of your car, including destination, and figure out the difference from their quote. Make sure their "total price out the door" is the sum of the charges they list. The lowest bid turned out to be a dud. It took a few days and multiple email round trips to get an itemized bid that added up right. The end result was misleading: claimed $500 below invoice, but inflated the destination charge from $750 to $1150, and this was only revealed when I found the math on the quote was wrong and ask for an explanation. I dropped that dealer on principle and went with 2nd best (only $100 more).

Car is on order now. The dealer has been straight so far, quoting me the same relative price from invoice as I added/deleted items over the next several days.

Brum85

Passed Driver's Ed
Really? With a custom order, you are in control (unless you're in a hurry). One way to get a deal on a custom order is to go with the internet/online sales person that most dealers have. The dealer I went with offered me $143 off invoice, plus tax, plus reasonable charges for tax/doc/license, and that's it.

These sales people are used to dealing with folks who research the car ahead of time and know exactly what they want. Also, over email, you're in a better position, since time is on your side and you can carefully verify everything with zero pressure. A floor salesman is going to want to close the deal that day, and so has incentive to steer you away from custom orders. Internet sales folks are used to an email exchange, and know their competitor is literally a click away.

I used edmunds.com to send out requests for bids to the 5 closest WW dealers. They all came back with automated answers and I replied to them with a message that told them they had one chance to get a winning bid:

I'm ready to buy/order now. Today I am collecting bids/quotes from a
set of dealers. I would like a bid that includes all costs to drive
the car off the lot, including taxes, license, fees. I'll go with the
lowest price after one round of this, which should minimize both of
our time while giving me some assurance that I'm getting a descent
deal.

I then listed the car + options I wanted. All of the dealers played along with this. I got bids that ranged from $28,495 to $27,433 -- a range of $1000. Two were below invoice, and the lowest $250 below invoice.

Bonus: Getting multiple quotes lets you spot outliers and games. E.g. if one dealer charges a lot more for doc/license than others.

Gotcha: Verify the math on each bid. Add up invoice cost of your car, including destination, and figure out the difference from their quote. Make sure their "total price out the door" is the sum of the charges they list. The lowest bid turned out to be a dud. It took a few days and multiple email round trips to get an itemized bid that added up right. The end result was misleading: claimed $500 below invoice, but inflated the destination charge from $750 to $1150, and this was only revealed when I found the math on the quote was wrong and ask for an explanation. I dropped that dealer on principle and went with 2nd best (only $100 more).

Car is on order now. The dealer has been straight so far, quoting me the same relative price from invoice as I added/deleted items over the next several days.

This is an excellent way to shop for cars. It's very similar to what I did. I used the VW website instead of edmunds, but same idea. I sent out emails to three different local VW dealers. I used the bids from the other ones to talk down the one close to my home. Got just over $2000 off MSRP and a free logo key chain!

freddi

Hmm u jus want HID's and they offering you 28000 out the door. Try palisades VW in NY, i know our sales tax is higher but every dealership I contact in NJ doesn't respond to me. I only want a sunroof and I got offered 24,395 which is jus 200 over invoice. HID's are cheaper than the sunroof on invoice. Ask for James. Also on another forum a guy got his with 18" rims for 23189 at Riverbank VW in stamford, ct. Now another guy, i dont kno where he's from says he got offered 25,500 for a white DSG, 4-door, bi-xenons, rubber matts. You can definitely get a better deal then 28000, I hope this post helps and that you haven't purchased ur car yet. Good luck!!