GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > In Car Entertainment, Electronics, Navigation, Phone (Audio / Video / Electronics / Etc..)

Old 06-29-2018, 05:08 PM   #1485

Drives: 2013 Golf R 4 Door CSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwarthoffr View Post
An update regarding the Dynaudio issue, sadly i've had no succes with the alpine adapter.

First of all the adapter had DIN connections, which I changed out for 8 pin quadlock connections. Then I added in the adapter in the quadlock extending the original 8 pin through the adapter.

However, no succes, the sound still distorts 60%+ volume and there is still static noise from the tweeters
The volume of the sound does seem lower with the adapter though.

Although I do have a Scirocco it's the same Dynaudio system.
Is there any improvement to the sound quality at higher volumes with the Alpine unit?

Are you willing/able to remove the casing from the adapter to see what components it consists of? Or perhaps measuring resistance across the device?

Thanks!
posty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:27 PM   #1486
billowusu47

Drives:
Hi, does anyone use an aftermarket setup with the rcd330? Will an amp get rid of the distortion problem? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
billowusu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:34 PM   #1487
FndrStrat06
Go Kart Champion

Drives: Black 2014 GTI Wolfsburg Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakmaN View Post
Anyone have any clue what the difference is between the 187E version with Y510 FW and the 187B version with 5314 FW? Or even the 5515 FW?

I recently contacted a reviewer who bought the 5515 FW and is reporting no bugs unlike what I've read here from posts a few months ago.

I think, functionally, there are few noticeable differences between firmware revisions. They seem to mostly consist of bug fixes, as a lot of the bugs are extremely irritating or make it impossible to use. Personally, my HW is 187B and I'm running FW 5314. I've read about tons of crazy bugs with higher number FW revisions, so I haven't bothered updating it.
FndrStrat06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:05 PM   #1488
jamesCA

Drives: 2013 Driver's Edition GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSSIVE View Post
I installed my RCD330 the other day, latest E part number with 565 hardware and Y510, C210 software. Now I can see why some people think it works fine with Dynaudio and others realize it doesn't 100%. It depends on how loud you turn it up. It works fine with the volume anywhere below half, once you go towards 2/3 or 3/4 it starts to distort and all the way up is just a wall of distorted noise unlike the stock RNS315.

After taking some voltage measurements from the speaker outs I was right in my thinking. The RNS315 only puts out a 4V max from the speakers when all the way up. The RCD330 being made for cars without external amps isn't limited on it's speaker output and will spike above 6V when all the way up. That's why at around that 2/3-3/4 volume it starts to distort since it's surpassing the 4V the Dynaudio amp is expecting from the headunit.

Since you can't Vagcom code the voltage down on the RCD330 like you can the other RNS units since it never came in a car with an amp you have to drop the voltage with hardware, essentially treating it like any aftermarket headunit that also can't be coded. I have what should be the answer to this problem on the way and once I can confirm it works I'll post more info. I don't want anyone who cares about this to spend money on something until I test it.

It also, as expected, doesn't show the fader, just balance which is due to coding. Once I get my hardware speaker level fix I'll also try some alternate coding since apparently coding it for a Skoda amp will then show the fader.

Beyond that, at 50% volume and lower the RCD330 is a real nice upgrade to the very small screen, very dated feeling RNS315. I much prefer using Android Auto and Google maps to the old RNS315.

As for any other things to note, mine does have the odd quirk that others have mentioned where after using Google assistant the volume will drop on the music you were listening to, but not every time and only if it's Android Auto music, not SD card or radio. I can live with that little quirk since it takes an extra second or two to raise the volume back up.
Did you ever end up figuring this out? I see that you posted your unit for sale in the classifieds...so not super optimistic.
jamesCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:39 PM   #1489
RossGTI6

Drives: Golf GTI MK6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChancreScolex View Post
Finally got my OEM-replica backup camera installed and working. If anyone needs help installing one, feel free to send me a PM.

Been reading in depth through this thread trying to get my above combo to work with the Aycetry camera whilst pulling my hair out, and noticed you got the exact combo working!

I have a 2009 Mk6 GTI, RCD330 Plus is in and working perfectly.
I installed the Aycetry camera as per instructions, and via a separate AV monitor, can confirm that when I put the DSG into reverse, the camera image appears on the AV screen, so I know I wired the camera correctly and it is working.

However, when I connect the yellow AV cable into the AV cable adapter that came with the RCD330 (blue square plug with a white and black wire and yellow AV plug at the other end) and put the car into reverse, I get black screen and 'The "rear view" camera system is currently not available' with an OK button.

I have enabled bit 6 'back up camera installed' in VCDS, and I cannot for the life of me work out what I have done/not done to make this happen.

I'm praying you went through this also and have the solution, because i'm fast running out of ideas. I don't believe I need the timer delay box as the the badge camera has the built in timer, and don't need an RGB converter, as both the camera and RCD accept a composite video input.

The joys of retrofit troubleshooting! Any input from everyone appreciated
RossGTI6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:22 PM   #1490
tylorr83
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2013 White GTI DSG 4 door
Curious if anyone has attemped to get mirrorlink to work while driving? I know there is a coding thing for the OEM unit, but would it work on this as well? Wanting to try to use my Torque App on the headunit instead of my phone as the display.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:33 PM   #1491
XSSIVE
Oval Champion

Drives: 2013 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesCA View Post
Did you ever end up figuring this out? I see that you posted your unit for sale in the classifieds...so not super optimistic.
Nope, sadly never got it to work and sold the RCD330. I still think I'd take an RCD330 over my RNS315 though, despite the quirks. I ended up going to THIS 9" Android 8.0 headunit instead, which has it's own different set of quirks. There's no good 100% issue free option for a DynAudio equipped headunit upgrade from the RNS315, aside from the $1550 MIB2 PQ conversion. My R is a garage queen and not a daily driver, so I can tolerate a few quirks that if I had to deal with daily would probably bother me more. So for now the android headunit will work, but once I can blow the cash on the MIB2 I think that's the way I'll go.
XSSIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:06 AM   #1492
Chabnar
Go Kart Champion

Drives: '11 GTI
Just installed my rcd330 unit and everything works fine right off the bat except for one thing. When i turn off the car, the headunit still stays on while playing the radio. So i have to manually turn off the radio every single time. I also have to manually turn on the radio everytime i get into my car and start it. Does anyone else experience this? Is there a solution to this? Thanks bros
Old 07-21-2018, 10:05 AM   #1493
Kwelitysoul
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 4dr CW DSG
Hey community, I installed my noname 187b unit and everything works great except when I get notifications the volume is way too loud. I've heard this is an issue for other Carplay units, but is there any fix to this problem?
Kwelitysoul is offline   Reply With Quote