GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ARM vs. Neuspeed FMIC. What's the difference?

SteveInLA

Ready to race!
Other than ARM Motorsports costing much less, is there a difference between these two company's front mounted intercooler? I've had nothing but good experiences with Neuspeed for my exhaust, wheels, turbo outlet pipe and brake lines but the cost difference is significant. A bit of searching the forum found some posts by people who seem happy with their ARM items. Is there any reason to spend more money on the Neuspeed FMIC?

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
I have been running the ARM fmic for a little under a year now. I agree with the consensus that it is ok for daily driving. Living in the south however it's lack of size/cooling capability has shown over the last 2 weeks with it being 110+ outside, with my IATs staying high.

I plan on adding WMI to my setup sometime in the next 6 months to aid in keeping the car cool next year.
I'd say stick with stock location. I also plan on getting Integrated Engineering's FDS Intercooler next year. I have their intake and intake manifold, and the quality is unmatched.

https://www.performancebyie.com/ie-fsi-tsi-tfsi-fds-performance-intercooler-kit

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I have been running the ARM fmic for a little under a year now. I agree with the consensus that it is ok for daily driving. Living in the south however it's lack of size/cooling capability has shown over the last 2 weeks with it being 110+ outside, with my IATs staying high.

I plan on adding WMI to my setup sometime in the next 6 months to aid in keeping the car cool next year.
I'd say stick with stock location. I also plan on getting Integrated Engineering's FDS Intercooler next year. I have their intake and intake manifold, and the quality is unmatched.

https://www.performancebyie.com/ie-fsi-tsi-tfsi-fds-performance-intercooler-kit

I also plan on getting IEs intercooler soon also, but that's only because i'm planning on going BT. If you're staying on the stock turbo, a single jet WMI system post intercooler and an ARM/Neuspeed frontmount should do the trick

SteveInLA

Ready to race!
I am on the fence still about going to a KO4, but if I did it would most likely be the APR OEM kit with their downpipe since I already have their intake, ECU and TCU software. Their IC is even pricier than Neuspeed but on par with IE's.

Is there a quick answer to the question of stock location vs. front-mounted?

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
I am on the fence still about going to a KO4, but if I did it would most likely be the APR OEM kit with their downpipe since I already have their intake, ECU and TCU software. Their IC is even pricier than Neuspeed but on par with IE's.

Is there a quick answer to the question of stock location vs. front-mounted?

I know that despite my desire to stay stage 2, I'll eventually go BT. Arm + WMI is plenty for a street setup probably even light track duty.

Fmic have their pros and cons.

Better air flow, better positioning. I never understood the sandwich setup on VWs especially coming from a Evo X before this. However from my understanding the radiator still receives less flow even with the stock ic removed when running a fmic. Core size is also limited.

I'm assuming that since you live in LA you see a fair amount of stop and go traffic. So I'd say a larger stock location, especially with your potential K04 plans.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable on the subject than me will chime in.

cevil203

Ready to race!
I'm reviving this thread. I just purchased a k04 and hoping to get it installed soon, and with that comes getting an intercooler. Will the ARM be fine for Texas heat? I don't track my car, but enjoy an occasional pull here or there on the highway.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I'm reviving this thread. I just purchased a k04 and hoping to get it installed soon, and with that comes getting an intercooler. Will the ARM be fine for Texas heat? I don't track my car, but enjoy an occasional pull here or there on the highway.
I'd say go arm then if it isn't enough add a water meth jet in the charge pipe.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
I'd say go arm then if it isn't enough add a water meth jet in the charge pipe.

That's my plan. With IE intake manifold (aluminum), my iats are too high for my liking.

It's ok in Texas heat. I've never had any overheating issues, only saw temperatures creep up on a 110+ degree day and I did a WOT pull to 140+ mph. And I'm pretty sure that is because my water pump pulley is shot.
Like smanierre said WMI will solve any heat issues. I plan on buying and installing a hfs4 or torqbyte kit over the winter in prep for next spring/summer.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
How do you gauge the temp to the degree?

I have a accessport so I can gauge my engine temps, iats, etc. With the arm on the hottest days I've seen 221-223 engine temps after pulls, which still shows 190 on the car gauge, goes back down pretty quick though. My car hovers around 208-212, ours cars operating temp is actually 207 iirc.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
In this context,the engine temp which is the coolant is irrelevant. This will only affect IATs. Also the temp gauge on the car sits at 190 no matter what, unless the temps get really high. The coolant temp fluctuates too much for it to be accurate or people would freak out.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
In this context,the engine temp which is the coolant is irrelevant. This will only affect IATs. Also the temp gauge on the car sits at 190 no matter what, unless the temps get really high. The coolant temp fluctuates too much for it to be accurate or people would freak out.

The car gauge moved off-center around 230. But yeah iats is what I take notice of.