GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 02-08-2018, 07:12 PM   #1
GtiDom25
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: Mk6 GTI, Stage 2. BillyBoat �
Michelin Pilot Super Sport, Or???

With summer coming up soon I need some new tires to go with my new summer wheels. I was going to buy the Michelin Pilot Super Sports because I hear they have the best grip and grip is a serious problem I have with my car now that it's tuned. But a buddy of mine told me those tires wear out extremely fast, and he told me to look into Federal 595 rs-rr tires. These tires are about $100 cheaper each than the Michelins, does anyone know if these are good and worth it? Or if there's is another tire I should be getting that will give good grip and last long?
GtiDom25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:16 PM   #2
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
Pss are way over rated for the price they cost. If grip is your focus, go up to the next level and get something like an RS3 or RS4.
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:53 PM   #3
GtiDom25
Drag Racing Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay745 View Post
Pss are way over rated for the price they cost. If grip is your focus, go up to the next level and get something like an RS3 or RS4.
Are Rs3 and 4 Michelin?
Old 02-08-2018, 08:01 PM   #4
Boscogn
FIA GT Champion

Drives: CSG 2013 GTI DSG 4DR
I got the pss. What made me change up from cheaper options was if they wear fast I could take advantage of their 30k warranty and get a discount on my next set of tires. Provided my wear was even. I rotate every 5k. We'll see. Some other brands offer even better warranties but if u read the fine print even a flat repair will void the warranty which with these it won't.

Edit: also these grip much better I was used to burning out launching and when I got these I thought my launch control broke because I would no longer spin launching from 3k RPM.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2018, 08:44 PM   #5
GtiDom25
Drag Racing Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscogn View Post
I got the pss. What made me change up from cheaper options was if they wear fast I could take advantage of their 30k warranty and get a discount on my next set of tires. Provided my wear was even. I rotate every 5k. We'll see. Some other brands offer even better warranties but if u read the fine print even a flat repair will void the warranty which with these it won't.

Edit: also these grip much better I was used to burning out launching and when I got these I thought my launch control broke because I would no longer spin launching from 3k RPM.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
How long have you had the pss for?
Old 02-08-2018, 09:50 PM   #6
cybonic
Autocross Newbie

Drives: Mk6 Gold GTi
get your hands on re71r
Old 02-08-2018, 10:10 PM   #7
GertieGTI
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2DR CW DSG
I only got 21k miles out of Continental Extreme Contact DW. America's Tire had a $70 rebate on PSS and brought the price to the same as DW's and less than the replacement DW's. PSS have a 30k mile warranty which I thought was worth it. We will see how they feel in comparison and wear.
GertieGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:19 AM   #8
snobrdrdan
Formula 2 Champion

Drives: a VW
Send a message via AIM to snobrdrdan
The new Conti ExtremeContact Sport has a 30k warranty and is supposed to be a rival to the PSS, while being cheaper
Old 02-09-2018, 09:57 AM   #9
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 Candy White 3-Door GTi DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrdan View Post
The new Conti ExtremeContact Sport has a 30k warranty and is supposed to be a rival to the PSS, while being cheaper
i wanna try these. Just hoping i can get ~20k out of them.
I love my conti extreme dw summers. but the tread life is PRETTY BAD. I have maybe 12-15k miles and im down to 4/32 and looking at getting new tires.

The only downside is the Conti Xtreme DW are like 122 per tire where as the new conti extremecontact sports are like 170 per tire. I know its not that much but 200 bucks plus the extra certificate price is a bit to swallow at the end of the day its almost like 2 more DW tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
hahaha why am I your signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123 View Post
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
lilonespaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:17 AM   #10
jay745
Mod Flanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtiDom25 View Post
Are Rs3 and 4 Michelin?
They are from Ventus Hankook
Old 02-09-2018, 10:41 AM   #11
Mlody91
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: Manual DBP 2010 GTI
I'd take a look at the BF Goodrich G-force Comp 2 A/S tires. They're like the Michelin A/S 3+ where they're all-season tires but emphasize more dry/wet traction over winter performance, all the while lasting 40k+ miles and being $50 cheaper per tire.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:42 AM   #12
Stock-GTI
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 MK6 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilonespaz View Post
i wanna try these. Just hoping i can get ~20k out of them.
I love my conti extreme dw summers. but the tread life is PRETTY BAD. I have maybe 12-15k miles and im down to 4/32 and looking at getting new tires.

The only downside is the Conti Xtreme DW are like 122 per tire where as the new conti extremecontact sports are like 170 per tire. I know its not that much but 200 bucks plus the extra certificate price is a bit to swallow at the end of the day its almost like 2 more DW tires.
extreme contact sport $147 @ tirerack for stock size, I'm about to buy a set.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:17 AM   #13
GreyGti1990
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2011 Gti 4-door
I've got PSS as well but will be looking at the RE71R's next. The RE71's are supposed to have a little more grip but the tread life isn't great at all. I hear they are a good auto cross tire though.

I may look at other options that have more tread life instead but I haven't needed to cross that bridge just yet.
2011 4-door CSG 6-speed GTi - Sigma Six, Boost gauge, AWE TOP/CTS Throttle, APR Carbonio, Revo 2, GFB DV+,SB st3 Daily(485ft lbs), VWR FSB, DG Springs, WALK, Collar Kit, Fluidampr, APR downpipe, 225/45/17 PSS, Sparco Assetto Gara, Stoptech slotted rotors/pads, Uni Intercooler, BFI Knob, USP SS lines, ATE fluid, Beluga Cat-back, LED Tails, New Tensioner.
Soon to Come: Tints, R Bumper, Headlights, Pendulum Mount, Rear sway
GreyGti1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:23 AM   #14
jay745
Mod Flanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGti1990 View Post
I've got PSS as well but will be looking at the RE71R's next. The RE71's are supposed to have a little more grip but the tread life isn't great at all. I hear they are a good auto cross tire though.

I may look at other options that have more tread life instead but I haven't needed to cross that bridge just yet.
re71r are awesome tires, for a daily I wouldn't recommend them unless you're fine replacing the tires every year.