GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Canberra GTI Advice Reverse Gear and First Gear

stauncho

Long time reader first time user here.
Just encountered a bit of an issue recently with my 2012 Gti 2.0 Manual.
I have no performance mods (yet) on the car everything is stock standard.

Two nights ago whilst driving back on a commute which took no longer than 30 mins, at the second last set of lights near my house, whilst in neutral i went to put the car into first gear and really really i mean really struggled to pop the car into first.

As i pulled into my driveway i needed to reverse to realign the car as i went to put the car into reverse the same problem occurred. It will go into first at reverse however its really hard to do so.

In all honesty i can shed some light on the matter as i figure the truth may set me free. I haven't owned a manual before and this is essentially my first well deserved toy and i go further to say i hope i don't drive it like a potato. But in the excitement i have probably changed the gears a touch to aggressively and have researched a little into what the issue may be.The car has 19,000kms and no other issues from what I gather could it be my shifter cables need to be re-aligned or my shifter fork is bent ?

The clutch engages, there is no slip in any other gear and when i am out of reverse and first the car gives me no problems what so ever. Could someone with more experience shed some light into the problem for me.

Also the car is still under factory warranty and am booking in a service through a dealership. Could someone provide me with information on what the issue could be, if the warranty could cover the issue, what are the costs i am looking at to fix the issue.

thanks in advance
regards a sad gti lover
:iono:

brobst

Go Kart Champion
If it gets hard to put in those two gears, try shifting into second gear first then try the intended gear again. My understanding is that first has syncronizers and if you aren't perfectly aligned with it, it feels like you have to fight the gear to get it. Switching to another gear first should help this issue.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

stauncho

thanks its helped slightly, mostly with first gear. But to my dismay reverse is still a killer.
Has anyone had to deal with this issue before if so was it hard to fix it/costly.