GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car photography

well THE Nikon is very generic. which nikon would you go for? personally i dont like the feel of the 7d in my hands.

GTAye1

Ready to race!
It really depends on how far you want to go into this hobby. 7D is a good prosumer and there isnt really an APS-C DSLR from Nikon that competes on the same hardware/IQ level.

However, if you choose to pay a bit more, you can get a Nikon D700. It's full frame and changes the whole ball game again. I am not sure if you are familiar with the term bokeh. You might also want to consider if 1080p video is crucial to what you want to do.

Lens is also a big part of the whole scene. I find Nikons to have better and more updated premium zoom lens. However, I personally prefer Canon prime (fixed focal lens) due to the larger variety of the premium ones.

It really depends on how far you want to go into this hobby. 7D is a good prosumer and there isnt really an APS-C DSLR from Nikon that competes on the same hardware/IQ level.

However, if you choose to pay a bit more, you can get a Nikon D700. It's full frame and changes the whole ball game again. I am not sure if you are familiar with the term bokeh. You might also want to consider if 1080p video is crucial to what you want to do.

Lens is also a big part of the whole scene. I find Nikons to have better and more updated premium zoom lens. However, I personally prefer Canon prime (fixed focal lens) due to the larger variety of the premium ones.

I agree with what he said. Once you go full frame you will never go back. its amazing. opens a new world of photography.

But as lenses im canon thru and thru, and i find that canons L glass is amazing, and focuses great.

itsed65

Passed Driver's Ed
Canon vs Nikon is like asking BMW vs Audi! Both make excellent products and it really comes down to personal choice. Either camera body is fine, but as the other posts eluded, it is the glass that makes the biggest difference.

That said, I shoot with a full frame Canon (5dMkII) and love it!

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
Are you sure you need the 7D or Nikon's version of it? I had a Rebel XTi for a few years and the only thing I wished it had on it was better high ISO quality. Now I have a 60D and I don't really see myself needing more than ISO 6400 or 12800. :)

Besides, the lenses are far more important anyway. :thumbup:

low'n'slow

Passed Driver's Ed
Very true. It all comes down to personal preference. I shoot with a nikon d3003 and couldn't ask for anything better. I have full frame lenses on it but it only effects focal length because of sensor size. I think nikons are awesome but if you want something that you can shoot both good photos AND great video. Canon 7D is the way to go. I personally think nikons are easier to use and navigate through but canons are excellent also! Also remember... The lens is WAY more important then the body. That's why I have nice full frame lenses on my nikon. Investing in nikons new d7000 with a couple lenses will give you near professional quality vs getting a canon 7d with kit lenses won't give as good of a picture. Never underestimate lenses because they are most important!!!

andylaiphoto

Go Kart Champion
I shot with Nikon early in my career. Last Nikon I had was the D2Xs. I eventually moved to a Canon 5D because I wanted full frame and Nikon was so damn slow to the game. Both make great camera systems. I think that the Nikon speedlight system is head and shoulders above the Canon line but I like the look that the Canon lenses give me at certain focal lengths. Especially at 85mm and 135mm. I like Nikon camera ergos mich better than the Canons as well. Bottom line is image quality/control and I feel that I had better results with the Canon setup.

Looking back I'm very happy with my switch. It was an expensive one but worthwhile for me. But in reality it's all subjective. Go to a pro shop and play with the cameras and lenses. Tell tem what you want to shoot and they'll offer up suggestions on lens choices and accessories. I really don't think for what you're doing as a beginner anything more than a Canon 60D would be required. Plus it has beautiful video capabilities.

Just make sure you buy all the memory cards and necessities like that online, it's much cheaper. But as far as the body and lenses go, building a relationship with a local shop will save your ass when the unexpected happens.

Do a research on a Nikon D5100... You will FALL IN LOVE! :wub:

plumpzz

Ready to race!
There isn't much of a benefit of using the 7D over the 60D unless you're looking for frame rates. I personally use the 60D, with a 70-200 F2.8 and a 24-105 F4 and a 50 1.4. Those lenses are more than enough... I'm actually contemplating selling the 70-200 F2.8 to get the 300 F2.8

Rod Knock

Buying expensive bodies and lenses and leaving it on auto won't make you a good photographer. Learning the modes and features on any camera is key to successful photography.
Get a good tripod and remote shutter release. Read up on rig shots. At some point Adobe Photoshop will be a very useful tool.

I'm still shooting with a Canon XTI but using various lenses. The one I seem to have on the most is a 70-200 F4 L lens. Will be upgrading bodies next year because I want something that will do HD video, higher ISO, more focus points and auto level would be nice. Probably going with a 7D, just wish it was full frame.

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion
It really doesn't matter...its all about personal preference, i love the feel and function of a cannon, but some people like the function of the Nikon...the biggest part of any camera investment is lenses, they really do make the picture