GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

***Highway Madness ***

dibblet

Ready to race!
i only know...miles per hour...but as far as how fast this car is going I have no ides...looks about 50mph faster than cameraman

eh maybe 60-65

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
The First vid shows the video car doing 180KPH; and getting passed at what seems less than 100 KPH faster from the looks of it; not 200KPH faster... So I doubt that car was doing 380.
It is but definitely no regular 911 turbo. To hit 380 kph you got to be running north of 800 hp.The Veyron does north of 400 kph with 1001 hp. Either way it crazy fast. It also looks like the German Autobahn. I been fortunate to have driven on the Autobahn. The rental car that I had could only do 180 kph and have been passed like I am standing still while my right foot is to the floor. I even had the opportunity to drive an S class Benz with a electric limiter at 250 kph and still would be passed. Crazy and fun!

The Veyron Does it with 1001 hp; but it is also pulling over 4200 Lbs. A lighter car with proper aerodynamics could certainly do those speed figures with far less HP. The key issue for the veyron was maintaining both safety features and comfort, that's why they had to push it to 1000+ HP.

The HP itself isn't the requirement; but the HP to weight ratio along with the drag coefficient will decide how fast a car can go with a given HP figure. As a comparo; a Veyron is pulling just over 4 Lbs/HP; a GTI is pulling more like 16 Lbs/HP... :D

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
Guys it is a Supra. I posted the video that was with the others. It is not a Porsche, or a Veyron. It' a 1000 hp Supra.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
The HP itself isn't the requirement; but the HP to weight ratio along with the drag coefficient will decide how fast a car can go with a given HP figure. As a comparo; a Veyron is pulling just over 4 Lbs/HP; a GTI is pulling more like 16 Lbs/HP...
HP/weight is important for acceleration, for high speed it's all about horsepower and downforce. HP is absolutely required to displace air, otherwise a Lotus Elise or Ariel Atom would be the fastest cars on the road with their silly power/weight ratios.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I couldn't ID the car, but I can ID the driver as a Douche Bag!

Saabstory

HP/weight is important for acceleration, for high speed it's all about horsepower and downforce. HP is absolutely required to displace air, otherwise a Lotus Elise or Ariel Atom would be the fastest cars on the road with their silly power/weight ratios.

Downforce itself just keeps the car planted rather than flying off the road. Downforce is a part of areodynamics to be sure, but the overall measurement of a car's ability to push through the air with minimal resistance is, as I stated already, drag coefficient ;) The more aerodynamic the car the faster it can go with less resistance, or drag.

I did not say horsepower was not needed, only that a lighter, more aerodynamic car could do the same speed figures with less HP. You could put 2000 HP in a Peterbilt and it still could not go 250+ mph; however, the same 2000HP in a F1 car would likely put it over 300mph.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
Either way diesels are meant for low rpm grunt. Apples to oranges.

Like I said, weight isn't an important detractor of top speed runs. Downforce, by definition, is artificially creating extra weight. Those F1 cars generate something like an extra ton of weight at speed, it's their 850hp that lets them hit high speeds. The low static weight of the car lets them hit that speed quickly.

Horsepower pushes you past drag, that's why there's 200mph old Pontiacs at Bonneville (which have the drag coefficients of large bricks). It takes more and more power to get each extra mile per hour, whether the car is stable at that speed is a different matter.

Phenix3939

Ready to race!
First one Vette ZO6 socond one Porsche. I've seen the first one years before the ZR1 came out. Both ridiculously fast!

Saabstory

Either way diesels are meant for low rpm grunt. Apples to oranges.

Like I said, weight isn't an important detractor of top speed runs. Downforce, by definition, is artificially creating extra weight. Those F1 cars generate something like an extra ton of weight at speed, it's their 850hp that lets them hit high speeds. The low static weight of the car lets them hit that speed quickly.

Horsepower pushes you past drag, that's why there's 200mph old Pontiacs at Bonneville (which have the drag coefficients of large bricks). It takes more and more power to get each extra mile per hour, whether the car is stable at that speed is a different matter.

We are saying the same thing... Essentially (weight does matter, as you just proved, sorry) :thumbsup: