GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM pistons/ rods vs aftermarket

steelcurtain

Go Kart Champion
Your with integrated engineering right? I think my tech just contacted you guys about pricing up a package with forged rods and pistons:)

Lol. Issam is the owner/operator of INA Engineering. They are not Integrated Engineering.

steelcurtain

Go Kart Champion
Oh... Oops

I couldnt find a website for INA Engineering however it's integrated engineering that comes up when I search...

Google INA + Facebook. His FB page appears to be the most informative. INA has a website but it's useless since all sales inquiry are thru email.

Good luck. I've been unsuccessful in attempt to make a purchase so I just gave up with trying to do any further business. Makes no sense to me.

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
If you are going to change the head gasket then change your rods. I find it hard to believe that you / your tech can work on the engine inside of the engine bay.
3 hours to get @ chains for 10 mins once the engine is out. Changing a head gasket over changing connecting rods is about an hour difference in labour.

300whp =~ 400chp. You are pushing the limits of those internals.

Well looks like it's official... I've emailed my tech to go ahead with the bottom end rebuild with the forged rods and pistons.

Turns out he has been talking with you guys (INA Engineering/ Issam) about getting the parts:)

I know for what I'm doing it's prolly overkill & the OEM internals are likely fine, but I intend to keep the car awhile and I don't want to risk snapping a connecting rod in the future.

Ultimately however I'm going to need an external oil cooler and bigger radiator for track work.

steelcurtain

Go Kart Champion
Good call. What I found out thru IE last week was that the drop in rod for the stock piston doesn't fit JE pistons for the TSI.

Given that I have no interest in replacing the rods i just installed if i decide to do pistons later is a no brainer to upgrade them when you purchase rods.

Halvie

WOOSA
Good call. What I found out thru IE last week was that the drop in rod for the stock piston doesn't fit JE pistons for the TSI.

Given that I have no interest in replacing the rods i just installed if i decide to do pistons later is a no brainer to upgrade them when you purchase rods.

What rods have to be used with JE pistons? I think RSW rods only work with oem pistons too.

steelcurtain

Go Kart Champion
What rods have to be used with JE pistons? I think RSW rods only work with oem pistons too.

They said the IE rods for the rabbit work. I didn't get anymore details than that. Same price $399 as the IE TSI forged Drop in rods for the OEM pistons.

Maybe Issam or IE can chime in?

lakwanphillips

So I've searched this topic, but not finding too much solid info on any of this.

What is the weak point in the TSI engine?

I've read that it's the cast rods and that the pistons are either forged or reinforced cast.

Additionally I've also kinda found out that the FSI engine specific for the GOlf R and TT-S already have forged rods and pistons to support the factory Ko4.

So any of the big tuning companies out there have any insight into what goes into the OEM part? and I don't want no BS answer that their test cars have done numerous dyno pulls as well as street racing/ 1/4 mile racing and none of their cars have any issues pushing upwards of 400hp... because the internals will handle that, but I think/ finding heavy track work on a every other month for the past 20,000 miles can make a significant impact.

I'm leaning towards forged rods with OEM pistons & piston rings vs forged pistons and forged rods... any input? how many more hours of labor is involved vs just replacing a head gasket?

It would take just a few hours or less for the labor, unless you want to make a quick replacement of the head gasket.

Saro773

Ready to race!
If you are going to change the head gasket then change your rods. I find it hard to believe that you / your tech can work on the engine inside of the engine bay.
3 hours to get @ chains for 10 mins once the engine is out. Changing a head gasket over changing connecting rods is about an hour difference in labour.

300whp =~ 400chp. You are pushing the limits of those internals.

Wait so, aren't we around 300whp w/TBE, CAI, & stage 1or2? So upgrading these internals need to be done once we start dynoing around 300?

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
Wait so, aren't we around 300whp w/TBE, CAI, & stage 1or2? So upgrading these internals need to be done once we start dynoing around 300?

You can go to about 400whp/350ish wtq with stock rods. And so far my pistons and Patricks have handled 470whp

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion

You aren't even close to 300whp when your stage 1 or 2. K04's seem to average around 300whp and I think only one guy around here upgrade his internals with a K04 setup. No of us have any issues.

TKE Mario

Ready to race!
Nah bro, the old FSI in the MKVs, and audis needed replacement internals to hold up too. The revision that they supposedly put in the Golf R is completely different setup.

Also, if a headgasket is the only current sign of extreme wear and tear from your K04 upgrade, then you're sitting petty, right now. Head Gasket on my MKV GTI went at Stage 2 with 20k. Had it replaced. These don't hold up for shit, and the part is literally $30 and 30mins to replace, if you have the right tools. I believe over time, even Stage 1/2 cars on factory turbo will blow the head gasket. Probably within 40k miles. Just gotta be sure to check your plugs and coilpacks every couple thousand miles for excessive oil build up.

:( currently dealing with this
did my 40k maintanance service yesterday and noticed the oil on the back side of the engine while i was underneath it, took it to my buddy's shop today so we can take a look at it on the lift...leaking from the head gasket and backside of the valve cover...it's safe to say i will not be running my car tomorrow at Show N Go :(:thumbdown::cry:

currently stage 2 btw

Hoosier Daddy1

Ready to race!
Apologies as I did not read the entire thread. The stock conrods on our cars can handle around 600 Nm on the wheels, as does the the stock clutches. Most guys tend to just place in IE's drop in rods with calico bearings and ARP bolts and you can easily run a GTX setup reliably on a daily.

There are many cars here in SA running these setups and they run hard. I'll be using these rods for my K04 setup in order to bring in torque earlier in the RPM range and also have peace of mind in doing do.