GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Getting misfires and ruff idle... CEL & EPC lights on

Jamester

Hoping to get suggestions on my problem. For the past month when I first start the car up in the morning it will be misfiring with the CEL blinking. I'll drive it like this for about 2 miles shut the car off for about 20 minutes. After I let it sit I restart the car and all seems normal (CEL still on) like there's nothing wrong. The CEL test reads Multiple misfires in a given period of time. I've checked the fuel, disconnected battary for 2 hours to reset computer, new plugs and coils with no discoloration or residue, unplugged maf no change and looks clean. Checked fuses all good. No idea what to do next I like to fix my own vehicles and trying to avoid paying a shop. Only thing I can think of is a bad tune (stage 2) but it's been fine for the 6 months I've had it. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
My guess is plugs or coils, and you should stop driving it with a blinking CEL.

Jamester

My guess is plugs or coils, and you should stop driving it with a blinking CEL.

Plugs and coils are brand new and still look new when I inspected them. And this only happends when I first start it up in the morning then it's fine the rest of the day.

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Blinking CEL + EPC + misfires is almost always a coil or a spark plug. I can't think of what else it might be, but maybe someone more knowledgeable has a better idea. You might get some better answers if you get it scanned too.

corydd

Go Kart Champion
Could be an injector... but most likely a spark plug or coil pack. Have you checked error codes to see which cylinders are misfiring? I would try getting some R8 coilpacks. They usually fix the problem.

Jamester

Blinking CEL + EPC + misfires is almost always a coil or a spark plug. I can't think of what else it might be, but maybe someone more knowledgeable has a better idea. You might get some better answers if you get it scanned too.

Just got the CEL scan.
-P0100 mass or volume air flow A circuit
-P0304 Cylinder 4 misfire detected

Jamester

Could be an injector... but most likely a spark plug or coil pack. Have you checked error codes to see which cylinders are misfiring? I would try getting some R8 coilpacks. They usually fix the problem.

I have the R8 coils packs on already and autolite platinum plugs about 3 months old.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
It sounds like p0100 could be a faulty MAF? I tried finding some results on google, but didn't really come up with anything other than the MAF. You could try a MAF cleaner. I'm not sure if that'll help or not though, I couldn't find a lot of info on that code.

I've experienced a bad MAF in my last car, but it's like you described. It would misfire and it had a really rough idle, I think I probably even stalled it a few times. When I unplugged it the car actually ran better, and I drove like that for a day or 2 until I got a new one, but you said you tried that and it didn't change anything...

Idk man, that's as much as I can help lol

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
Sounds like maybe the wire harness for the MAF? Autolite plugs wouldn't be my first pick, but have you ever had the intake manifold replaced or a carbon clean?

Jamester

Sounds like maybe the wire harness for the MAF? Autolite plugs wouldn't be my first pick, but have you ever had the intake manifold replaced or a carbon clean?

Nope no carbon clean and stock intake manifold. I'm at about 63000 miles and I know I'm going to need to do that soon.

Jamester

Could I be throwing a maf code cause I disconnected it when I was testing?

pamatt

Passed Driver's Ed
I had the same problem. It was my intake manifold.

Jamester