GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is it true, you need to reprogram your 2010 GTI after changing batteries?

sherwood

Ready to race!
I am new to the VW scene, but have owned three different BMWs in the past couple of years and apparently they need to be registered to the car. I ran across some info on e90post a long time ago that made me use my local mechanic to "register" my batteries in my BMWs just for peace of mind. Here is a thread about.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=468750

Again, I am not saying you need to register/program your battery as I don't know at all, but thought you may be interested in the info. Obviously they are two different brands of cars, but both being german made cars thought it was interesting.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Since this forum is filled with a bunch of retarded clowns I'll give you an honest answer since I'm not one of the said idiots.

When the battery is undone this is stuff the reprogram. Pinch protection/auto up on the windows, the throttle body basic settings, the transmission lockdown basic settings, the steering angle sensor (if not done correctly can cause ESP issues as it won't know the direction/zero position of the steering wheel, if the radio get locked from loosing power they can look up the radio code to unlock it, the faults in a bunch of systems from unhooking the get cleared out. It's up to if that's worth it. Wallmart isn't going to do / can't do any of that when changing a battery.

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!
Oddly when I disconnect my battery my 'second click' (auto-up/down) windows switch function stops working on random windows.

For instance the second to last time I disconnected/reconnected the battery the driver's window lost it's auto up/down function, but then it came back randomly after clicking around in the MFD (not actually changing any settings - just clicking through menus). Then just a few days ago after disconnecting the battery to fool around with fuses both front windows have lost their auto up/down function (I haven't clicked around the MFD yet, to get the function back).

There's no explainable reason the auto up/down window function would stop/start functioning upon a battery power loss, or why it would come back inexplicably. It never goes away on it own, so I know it's correlated directly to the door losing battery power.

tunner2307

Ready to race!
Oddly when I disconnect my battery my 'second click' (auto-up/down) windows switch function stops working on random windows.

For instance the second to last time I disconnected/reconnected the battery the driver's window lost it's auto up/down function, but then it came back randomly after clicking around in the MFD (not actually changing any settings - just clicking through menus). Then just a few days ago after disconnecting the battery to fool around with fuses both front windows have lost their auto up/down function (I haven't clicked around the MFD yet, to get the function back).

There's no explainable reason the auto up/down window function would stop/start functioning upon a battery power loss, or why it would come back inexplicably. It never goes away on it own, so I know it's correlated directly to the door losing battery power.
You have to press and hold each window switch for like 5 sec and the auto function will come back. Easy fix ;)

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!
You have to press and hold each window switch for like 5 sec and the auto function will come back. Easy fix ;)

Thanks, bro. :thumbsup:

It's weird that most switches don't lose the function at all, though. And, I mean on the same switch body. The front driver's switch body, which houses all four windows' switches, only loses function in the driver's window and whatever other randomly chosen window(s).

GTI2012

Ready to race!
battery change

I've seen these 9V things that plug into the power port/cigar lighter to just give enough power to maintain the memory settings for a short time (why they don't just put a capacitor in these memory devices to maintain a voltage on these memories like other appliances, I don't know). Does anyone have any experience with these?

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
I've seen these 9V things that plug into the power port/cigar lighter to just give enough power to maintain the memory settings for a short time (why they don't just put a capacitor in these memory devices to maintain a voltage on these memories like other appliances, I don't know). Does anyone have any experience with these?

it doesnt work in the cigarette lighter/12 v port, since it is ignition controlled. Easy thing to do to maintain everything in car is hook up a trickle charger (like for a motorcycle) and hook it to the lugs on the front of the fuse box under the hood, for power, and then ground it to something metal. Then remove battery and replace.

Honestly just swap the battery out and reprogram the windows. Let the vehicle do the rest. I have had my battery disconnected multiple times on my 2010. always have to reprogram the windows, and turn the sterring wheel full clock right and then left. and thats it.

sleeplessTO

reprogram after changing batteries

2010 GTI battery died on the weekend, went to Canadian Tire to have it replaced. Then the AC stopped working afterwards.

Went back to dealership the next day, took them some time to find out something was not done right during the installation and somehow it triggered the AC to shut off intermittently....and steering wheel light was also on, they had to re-program the code to make it work again. $200 gone.

so yes, it seems more complicated than a simple battery change. :(

zrickety

The Fixer
Old thread. Have had my battery out multiple times (mostly doing DSG changes), never had to do anything but drive the car and all the lights go out.