GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

radiator leaking, how hard to replace?

markus037

Ready to race!
noticed a few drips on my driveway and took a peek at work today. bottom left of the radiator is dripping. anything else i should do while everything is apart?

zrickety

The Fixer
I did NOT have to remove the front bumper. It's not a hard job, trickiest part for me was getting by one of the a/c lines. Everything else was straightforward.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
I never took apart my front bumper before and it took a buddy and I 3-4 hours. If I was to do it now I could do it in half the time. Taking off the bumper is probably the worst part since there are so many stupid little screws and clips that hold that thing in.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
please explain
nevermind looked it up. Interesting. I never thought to take the rad out from that side, seems like it would almost be harder that way being so cramped. Who knows.

I've taken the bumper off dozens of times, not sure why people think it's such a big deal to do so. Comes off so easy and never broke any tabs that people talk about.

Mk6 Steve

Ready to race!
nevermind looked it up. Interesting. I never thought to take the rad out from that side, seems like it would almost be harder that way being so cramped. Who knows.

I've taken the bumper off dozens of times, not sure why people think it's such a big deal to do so. Comes off so easy and never broke any tabs that people talk about.

+1

zrickety

The Fixer
Well the radiator is on the engine side, so I pulled the fans and unbolted it. I don't remember any problems removing it except that one a/c line. Replaced with a Nissens unit a couple years ago, no issues so far.

markus037

Ready to race!
did the radiator without removing the bumper. took the fan off and had plenty of room to get it out. not sure why people said you had to remove the bumper/