GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

40k Service - Costs vs. DIY - Dealer vs. Indie - BS Meter goes to 11

dave80

Go Kart Champion
Fuel filter is like $30 at the dealer. Do not clamp the fuel lines. Grab a rag, take off the caps from the new filter and use a allen wrench for the one fuel line that's hard to reach (just pull down on the clip with the allen wrench). Put the caps on right away when you pull the fuel lines of the old filter, and use the rag to catch the fuel that's dripping from the fuel line (little amount).

Cackalacka

Ready to race!
Interesting, not quite timely, as I've got another 6k to go before the big 4-0, but certainly something I've been thinking about, particularly as I had the 30k servicing done a couple hundred miles early thanks to the water pump issues that started rising up.

Most (if not all) of the items (save for tire rotation) seem well within the realm of a self-wrencher. As for tire-rotation, that is moot as I expect I'll be replacing my treads over the next 5-6k anyway.

Does anyone have a handy link to the Guru Grambles' 40k service thread?

McQueen77

Banned
im not really scared to do the fuel filter, ive done it on my old truck. but i want to attempt at 40k to build a relationship with a good indie mechanic because things will come up that i can't do or won't do and i don't want to go to the dealer for them. im not going to rotate my tires, although i could and as far as inspecting everything, there are a few things i don't know what to look for. so ill prob buy the fuel filter myself, or do it myself and then pay $50 for them to rotate my tires and inspect everything. they would catch something that i wouldnt catch.

McQueen77

Banned
btw, the indie shop I spoke to as well quoted me way high on the fuel filter, like 60 bucks, when you can get the mann filter on amazon for like $25. think i'll be going that route. guess they all have to make money somehow, as if charging $100 p/hr for labor isn't enough, gotta mark up those parts at least 50%..

grambles423

Automotive Engineer

Dun Dun

Ready to race!
i work at a shop and i know prices are high but heres a little understanding of why it's so high.
techs have to constantly go to school to be updated on new technologies.
the equipment is EXPENSIVE. (lifts, tire machines, alignment machines, ect)
you're getting charged 90 an hour but he's paying a tech around 24 an hour.
up keep on a shop (especially if it's big) is expensive
all the tools tech are using are expensive too.
you think 60 dollars is expensive for a fuel filter...my flashlight was 200 :lol:
it's just an exspensive business. there should be insurance like a dr office:laugh:

i'm not saying don't do your own repairs because i always did but i couldn't tell you how many times we've had cars towed in because the owner was playing mechanic and broke his spark plugs in the head.

just be careful and read up before you go tinkering around:thumbsup:

Killswitch24

Ready to race!
BAHAMA's got it right. The fuel filter replacement is only specified for the TDI. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, that's your choice, just maybe give the dealer the point on that one.

SALMKSiX

im with dun dun on this one just because dealer charges insane for labor doesnt mean they keep that, just out of labor us techs get paid out of it plus the service writers get paid out of that then the rest is shop fees.

you think what they quoted you is much our labor rate is $125 and hour, our services go by 5k so 5k 10k 15k 20k 25k.. our 45k service is just oil change, cabin/engine filter, and wiper blades and that service runs up to $395, if you want to get into the spark plugs we do our 60k service which is a 40k for us with a vw but we do a coolant flush with it and thats an $845 service and out of that over $600 is just labor lol

McQueen77

Banned
im with dun dun on this one just because dealer charges insane for labor doesnt mean they keep that, just out of labor us techs get paid out of it plus the service writers get paid out of that then the rest is shop fees.

you think what they quoted you is much our labor rate is $125 and hour, our services go by 5k so 5k 10k 15k 20k 25k.. our 45k service is just oil change, cabin/engine filter, and wiper blades and that service runs up to $395, if you want to get into the spark plugs we do our 60k service which is a 40k for us with a vw but we do a coolant flush with it and thats an $845 service and out of that over $600 is just labor lol

I'm sorry but shelling out 400 bucks for an oil change and wiper blade swap makes you either really inept, foolish or busy.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I'm sorry but shelling out 400 bucks for an oil change and wiper blade swap makes you either really inept, foolish or busy.

I second this. Who would ever do such a thing?

Dun Dun

Ready to race!
a maroon:iono: my shop isn't nearly that exspensive

Pjai

Ready to race!
Dealers are funny sometimes.

When i took my car in for the 1st service at 15000kms, i asked for tyres rotation and the dealer said they don't recommend that and had some funny bull shit reason. I just gave up listening and talking, just do watever u think you should do, i m jst here for the records as "serviced at dealers" for the new car. Then they rang later saying I should get the tyres replaced for prices that's doubled the market price at a tyre shop.

I guess they manage to rip a lot of ppl off that way... i'd picture a lot of less car minded people will just pay up and let them do watever they like.