GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CTS Turbo TSI Intake Review

P

plac

very nice quality parts, better than i anticipated. kinda sits strange on the engine, but decent fitment.

ManofManyGTs

Passed Driver's Ed
@ManofManyGTs

by the way you can open up the maf plug part and flip the wire around so it doesn't go the opposite way

Thanks, I'll do that.

That's why they should have placed it in the stock location. Where it is right now is in an area of extremely turbulent air flow with no MAF housing/screening to straighten it out. However with the bend right after the filter the OEM location probably wouldn't be much better (although not a 90*).

Hopefully you don't have any issues but a whole lot of people ditched their forge intakes because of a similar MAF placement.

I've put maybe 30 miles on the kit today just around town and highway going here and there, multiple stops. So far I have not had any issues with driveability or CELs. What kind of issues were there with the MAF placement on the forge?

CLapperhighs

Go Kart Champion
So this is an EXACT replica of the BSH intake..? Its the same in every way. I remember a lot of people hating the bsh intake for some reason. Is this supposed to be any different? I have the BSH intake and i have absolutely no complaints with it. I love it.

However i've noticed the tray the filter sits in gets pretty damn hot to the touch after driving for a while. Im sure theres no difference with this one, so thats something to check out if you get a chance. But Im sure it doesn't make much difference at all as regards IAT.

ManofManyGTs

Passed Driver's Ed
So this is an EXACT replica of the BSH intake..? Its the same in every way. I remember a lot of people hating the bsh intake for some reason. Is this supposed to be any different? I have the BSH intake and i have absolutely no complaints with it. I love it.

However i've noticed the tray the filter sits in gets pretty damn hot to the touch after driving for a while. Im sure theres no difference with this one, so thats something to check out if you get a chance. But Im sure it doesn't make much difference at all as regards IAT.

I have never seen a BSH in person but from the pictures, I believe they are petty similar. I would not say it is exact though. To my knowledge, the CTS is still a CTS in house developed and built item.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
FYI, it is the exact same design.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
What were the issues people were having with BSH? I remember hearing something about knocking because of bracketry/engine movement, but that's not a huge deal and easily fixed with a little fab work.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
What were the issues people were having with BSH? I remember hearing something about knocking because of bracketry/engine movement, but that's not a huge deal and easily fixed with a little fab work.

My BSH was crap:
- Uneven welds
- HARD brakeline vibration (even wore away some of the material).
- Bracket to heat shield was cracked with a bad weld.
- Rusting Heat shield
- Heat shield Rubber came off
- Bad silicone connection to turbo
- Bad Clamps

Its no wonder why I got rid of it.

CLapperhighs

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, it looks like the only difference between this and the bsh one is the maf location. This intake has it a bit closer to the bend In the pipe. And thats it. But yeah I've heard all these complaints about hard knocking and vibration and weird howl noises... I have had none of these problems, except that the rubber sealing did pop off like grambles mentioned, so I had to super glue it back on. Problem solved. So I guess bsh had an issue with build quality consistency. I guess I got lucky.

MAD_GTI

Ready to race!
Yeah, it looks like the only difference between this and the bsh one is the maf location. This intake has it a bit closer to the bend In the pipe. And thats it. But yeah I've heard all these complaints about hard knocking and vibration and weird howl noises... I have had none of these problems, except that the rubber sealing did pop off like grambles mentioned, so I had to super glue it back on. Problem solved. So I guess bsh had an issue with build quality consistency. I guess I got lucky.

I had a rubber seal pop off as well, anyone know where I can get more seal like this?

MAD_GTI

Ready to race!
I've put maybe 30 miles on the kit today just around town and highway going here and there, multiple stops. So far I have not had any issues with driveability or CELs. What kind of issues were there with the MAF placement on the forge?

Likewise, I've put aboout 150 miles on it, no CEL, no weird stuff, etc.

CLapperhighs

Go Kart Champion
I had a rubber seal pop off as well, anyone know where I can get more seal like this?

I considered just emailing bsh to send me new ones, but then I realized the same thing would just happen again. It seems like the heat just melts the factory adhesive. So I spliced them and superglued them back on, and now its good and strong.

ManofManyGTs

Passed Driver's Ed
My BSH was crap:
- Uneven welds
- HARD brakeline vibration (even wore away some of the material).
- Bracket to heat shield was cracked with a bad weld.
- Rusting Heat shield
- Heat shield Rubber came off
- Bad silicone connection to turbo
- Bad Clamps

Its no wonder why I got rid of it.

It is a similar design in theory, but CTS does not skimp when it comes to materials or build quality. I believe that many of the problems with BSH will not be seen with the CTS, but only time will tell.

MAD_GTI

Ready to race!
So I have some thoughts that I wanted to discuss.

1. whistling under heavy load, could be normal, could be a loose end.

2. Surge under load. Not sure if this is the tune of the intake due to the different MAF location or what, lets hear some thoughts.