GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any recent GTI owners wishing they waited for the MK7 US release?

If I were in the market for an mk6 GTI today, I wouldn't hesitate because although mk7 is a good improvement over the GTI on paper, it just doesn't have the gradual evolutionary history of the mk5 and mk6. The mk6 today is still a thoroughly modern feeling car and still whoops anything else in the 26-30k segment because it is just so sophisticated to begin with.

I wouldn't touch a 2014 made in Puebla GTI because I dont need to be a guinea pig.

Having said that, I also like the rounder effeminate curves of the mk6 GTI. The Mk7 is trying too hard to be butch and driving around with red lipstick in my headlights is just off-putting.

I'd wait for 2015 and a Golf R with that monster motor and no lipstick and no stupid front whiskers covering my fogs.

the Golf R is the one I'd take... but only in 2016.

And for the 18th time, we are not getting the 8" screen Nav. We are getting the 6.5" screen in the Mk7. We don't need massive screens in a small car.

Last edited:

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
No regrets especially considering the new one is not made in germany. I know that the build quality will be fine but, it's nice to have a true german car.

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
That's bad?

the TSI motor in our cars is designed by Audi and built in Hungary where Audi build so many of their cars.

i think its good, i always view audi's as being more upscale than vw's. the interior of the mk7 feels like an audi a4.:thumbsup:

booey1979

Go Kart Champion
Only thing I'm jeolous of is the factory LSD. But to be honest, my next car is gonna be AWD or I'll go back to RWD.

Cbrad4d

Where in West Hollywood? Man, I think the manual would push me over the edge if I lived over there and had to drive in that shit every day. No freeway anywhere near there, traffic all the time, santa monica, la cienega, melrose, beverly, robertson, sunset, wherever.. Youre better off having a moped, you'd make better time. I commend you having a manual in that part of LA.

I commute to Santa Monica for work so I do get opportunities (albeit brief) to open it up occasionally. It's certainly not ideal for Santa Monica Blvd but the clutch is superb and the thrill of rowing those gears on Mullholand makes up for giving my left leg a workout during traffic. I'm new to this forum and I'm sure this debate has been discussed ad nauseam but there's no way in hell I could go for the DSG in this car.

Cbrad4d

Cool first post bro.

This has been discussed many times. US specs for the MK7 are still not confirmed and given that you can get $5500 off a new drivers edition it will make the MK7 a ton more expensive than the outgoing Mk6.

A bit of a now vs then.

Very true.

But hold up, $5500 off new driver's edition? I was only able to finagle about $2.5k off MSRP...:mad0259:

McQueen77

Banned
I commute to Santa Monica for work so I do get opportunities (albeit brief) to open it up occasionally. It's certainly not ideal for Santa Monica Blvd but the clutch is superb and the thrill of rowing those gears on Mullholand makes up for giving my left leg a workout during traffic. I'm new to this forum and I'm sure this debate has been discussed ad nauseam but there's no way in hell I could go for the DSG in this car.

nice to hear and always nice to know there are other GTI drivers in LA that are willing to drive an MT. Ive done it here since 1999 and have lived just about everywhere around the city. Used to do it living in hollywood, commuting to Century City every morning. 1 hour to go 5 miles. Brutal. Now my commute is a cake walk. Welcome to the forums.

Winoman

Ready to race!

I'm 100% with you there on the DSG - my dealer pushed it hard and I never even bothered to test drive it - not interested - it was MT fer sure....

I lived in LA (East Hollywood) for 5 years in the 1980s...always drove stick ....once I got stopped for doing 75 on LaCienega...cop ended up letting me go...

KO7

Ready to race!
I got my CPO GTI about 6 months ago, and I haven't regretted (yet) not waiting for the MK7. Even a brand new MK6 GTI fully loaded was out of my budget, so I'd rather have my used Autobahn than a new base MK7. If I tracked my car or pushed it 9/10ths on the road, then I would be lusting over the Performance Pack though. Only things I really like on the new one are the panoramic sunroof and much nicer infotainment screen / system.

If I could do it again, I would've looked for one without as much hood rock chips and rim curb rash though.

Cbrad4d

I got my CPO GTI about 6 months ago, and I haven't regretted (yet) not waiting for the MK7. Even a brand new MK6 GTI fully loaded was out of my budget, so I'd rather have my used Autobahn than a new base MK7. If I tracked my car or pushed it 9/10ths on the road, then I would be lusting over the Performance Pack though. Only things I really like on the new one are the panoramic sunroof and much nicer infotainment screen / system.

If I could do it again, I would've looked for one without as much hood rock chips and rim curb rash though.

Congrats on your purchase! What color/trim did you get?

I'm 100% with you there on the DSG - my dealer pushed it hard and I never even bothered to test drive it - not interested - it was MT fer sure....

I lived in LA (East Hollywood) for 5 years in the 1980s...always drove stick ....once I got stopped for doing 75 on LaCienega...cop ended up letting me go...

Hah nice. I've taken two trips to Palm Springs and it's been some of the most fun driving of my life. Well worth stop and go fuckery on the 10 every morning.

And look the DSG is a great transmission as far as autos go. I was a tad overdramatic there. Especially since there have been times in traffic when I wonder if I made a mistake. But ultimately the manual was too fun to pass up.

newcarsmell

Go Kart Champion
And look the DSG is a great transmission as far as autos go. I was a tad overdramatic there. Especially since there have been times in traffic when I wonder if I made a mistake. But ultimately the manual was too fun to pass up.

I LOVE my DSG transmission since it's such an awesome automatic. The most fun i have is when i'm racing my friend's manual gti (we're both stage 1 apr tuned) and pulling half a car length on him every time he has to shift! The dsg also handles power upgrades better than the manual transmission on the gti. Many people need to replace the stock clutch on their manual gti when they move up to apr's stage 2 tune.

Honestly though i'm sure you enjoy your car tons and you do feel much more connected with your car when you row your own gears. If i had my way i'd be sitting in a manual golf r instead of my dsg gti but i could not afford the R :/

Anyways, welcome to the forum!

i'm in the San Gabriel Valley, kinda far from you but hit me up if you ever want to go on some canyon runs at night! I know some good spots and it's always fun driving with other gti's!

Happy Modding :)

oh yea, and to add to the thread topic:

i am very satisfied with my mk6 over the mk7 for many of the same reasons that others have mentioned:

-Reliability since it's basically a refresh of the mk5 platform.
-made in germany vs. mexico
-i love the mk6's front end and the mk7 is very similar to a mk6 with color matched front bumper insert
-the mk6 rear end looks better to me. period. OEM led tails from germany make the car soooo much classier and nicer.
-aftermarket is well developed.

Last edited:

luv my dub76

Ready to race!
Bought a 2 door autobahn 7 weeks ago...
Don't regret it one bit

VadGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Where in West Hollywood? Man, I think the manual would push me over the edge if I lived over there and had to drive in that shit every day. No freeway anywhere near there, traffic all the time, santa monica, la cienega, melrose, beverly, robertson, sunset, wherever.. Youre better off having a moped, you'd make better time. I commend you having a manual in that part of LA.

Really?

6-speed LA owner checking in. Not an issue at all.

Bought mine June 30th, 2013.

Sent from a rotary-dial phone using Edna the Small Town Operator