GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

4 year lease too long

Artysta

Ready to race!
So im on a 4 year lease since last year but Im already kinda bored of the car. Is it possible to buy the car out early and sell, or switch the lease from 4 to 2 or 3 years?

zee

Go Kart Champion
IMO, 4-year lease is too long unless you 100% planned to buy it out and wanted the lower monthly payments. Lease busters is your way out now. http://www.leasebusters.com/en/

I look at leasing as a way to change cars ever 2 years not to sink a lot of mod money into..

In my case, I'm not leasing but already planned winter mods for each year to keep the car fresh and entertaining to me.

Yr 1 - stock
Yr 2 - lower and new wheels
Yr 3 - Intake & exhaust
Yr 4 - Tune and Dp with fresh wheels
Yr 5-6 - Back to stock for trade in or private sale.

Last edited:

Artysta

Ready to race!
So there's no way to do an early buy out and re-sell privately? I wouldn have to take a loss probably but would wait couple months before re-committing to a new vehicle again.

AdvanSuper

Banned
You can finance it then sell it and be in the negative then pay off what you owe.

OR

You can have someone take over your lease, but YOU are still responsible for the condition of the car when it is turned in at the end of lease.

IMO a lease should be no longer than 3 years. I'd look for someone you know ad trust to take over the lease if they are looking for a new car. That way it's just like you're walking away at the end of lease you lose nothing and gain nothing as opposed to buying the car out and selling it then being in the negative.

sawyer4340

Ready to race!
Leasebusters.com is a great way to get out of a lease. It's a bit pricey, but hey, it gets you the coverage you want and you'll have hits instantly. However, if you go with Leasebusters, you gotta be more than willing to part with some extra $$ incentive to even have any serious inquiries. Most people end up paying the lease transfer fee (approx $500) + cash to get their car gone. If you don't do this, nobody will care to look at it at all.

As for liability once it is gone, it's gone. I clarified this with my dealer on numerous occasions. You sign off on the lease transfer papers and the new leasee signs off and assumes the liability of the car.

I got out of my 4 year lease on my 08 Rabbit this way.

Lease transfer is low risk and has the least amount of financial burden IMO when trying to get rid of a leased car.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I don't like to lease any longer than the length of the warranty.