GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HPA K04 and United Motorsport Tune

VDubGTI12

Passed Driver's Ed
Recently I installed the HPA K04 kit. A easy straight forward install. Nothing crazy as long as you use the washers appropriately so you don't leaks!
On to the tune, I was originally REVO at stage 2 but was told the K04 upgrade was going to be full price. I also didn't like the peakiness feeling of REVO. Instead of that I decided to go with United Motorsport's K04 tune. Probably the best decision I have ever made! The tune is silky smooth with great power through the entire power band. Driving this as my daily, it was important that the drivability is there and it definitely is. The tune is still on the low boost tune which is 21psi because I don't have the 4 bar MAP sensor. Even only at 21psi, the power is ridiculous.

VDubGTI12

Passed Driver's Ed
Most reasonably priced with a great name in the r32 world. Plus no need to relocate the Diverter valve. Basically a plug and play option

'12 GTI Autobahn | REVO stage 2 | APR Carbonio Stage 1 & 2 Intake | CTS Turbo 3" Catted Downpipe | RokBlokz Mud Flaps | Spulen Street Dogbone Insert | VW DriverGear Springs

OhioMK6

Ready to race!
Maybe someone can answer this regarding the HPA K04. It says it is a "hybrid" K04. Does this mean it is not a BorgWarner K04 that has been modified to fit? If it's not a BorgWarner K04, who makes the turbo?

Chris659

Ready to race!
I've had this turbo on my car for almost a year now and no issues what so ever. I didn't install it myself as I had my trusted mechanic do the job.

I'm also using their software for ecu/tcu. Been really happy with everything and hopefully by the end of this next week my boost leak will be addressed (eliminating stupid green o ring) and will be able to enjoy full power again!

Edit: OP, 4 bar map sensor? Damn, HPA won't even tune for a 3 bar for me (2.0 TSI). They say they don't need to and start explaining stuff over my head

Edit: and no it's not a BW turbo but one they had a company (they leave unarmed of course) make them for them. More than likely Chinese made, but that doesn't mean anything bad. The Chinese companies make what we pay them to make. If the company wants to be at a certain price point, then quality of parts reflect that. Ultimately it's about keeping an eye on the produced units. How many and how often are they getting inspected before being shipped off.

FriggenT1

Banned
I've had this turbo on my car for almost a year now and no issues what so ever. I didn't install it myself as I had my trusted mechanic do the job.

I'm also using their software for ecu/tcu. Been really happy with everything and hopefully by the end of this next week my boost leak will be addressed (eliminating stupid green o ring) and will be able to enjoy full power again!

Edit: OP, 4 bar map sensor? Damn, HPA won't even tune for a 3 bar for me (2.0 TSI). They say they don't need to and start explaining stuff over my head

Edit: and no it's not a BW turbo but one they had a company (they leave unarmed of course) make them for them. More than likely Chinese made, but that doesn't mean anything bad. The Chinese companies make what we pay them to make. If the company wants to be at a certain price point, then quality of parts reflect that. Ultimately it's about keeping an eye on the produced units. How many and how often are they getting inspected before being shipped off.

Even BW turbos are made in China however, the obvious difference is quality control.

OhioMK6

Ready to race!
Even BW turbos are made in China however, the obvious difference is quality control.

Are you saying this HPA K04 is not quality controlled to a high standard? HPA is a good name in the VW world, but I'd like to hear if you've experienced or heard of anything to tell you differently about this turbo.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
I've reached out to HPA in the past and my understanding is that no, it is not a BW turbo BUT HPA sources their parts from the same suppliers that BW uses, which could be Chinese but I am unsure of that.

They do say it is a "hybrid" K04 but its not very much different at all from the other K04 kits that are available (APR, Uni, Revo, etc). It is not like an F23T that you can make more power of off.

FriggenT1

Banned
Are you saying this HPA K04 is not quality controlled to a high standard? HPA is a good name in the VW world, but I'd like to hear if you've experienced or heard of anything to tell you differently about this turbo.

No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that BW just in general has very good quality control, and is proven over many, many years. HPA I'm not sure of. Hopefully not like frankenturbo though.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that BW just in general has very good quality control, and is proven over many, many years. HPA I'm not sure of. Hopefully not like frankenturbo though.

HPA makes solid products; they are just more well known in the R32/Golf R world and not so much Gti.

Jerseynoob

Ready to race!
Recently I installed the HPA K04 kit. A easy straight forward install. Nothing crazy as long as you use the washers appropriately so you don't leaks!
On to the tune, I was originally REVO at stage 2 but was told the K04 upgrade was going to be full price. I also didn't like the peakiness feeling of REVO. Instead of that I decided to go with United Motorsport's K04 tune. Probably the best decision I have ever made! The tune is silky smooth with great power through the entire power band. Driving this as my daily, it was important that the drivability is there and it definitely is. The tune is still on the low boost tune which is 21psi because I don't have the 4 bar MAP sensor. Even only at 21psi, the power is ridiculous.

United Motorsport out of CT?

Was this a costume tune, or off the shelf?

What does this tune do to emissions readiness?

I've got the HPA turbo/tune...it's ok, but I'd like more. I'm looking tune jump, but not so sure what tunes will work with this turbo.

The HPA tune keeps all my readiness on, except they typical one regarding the cat which people use the spacer to correct.

VDubGTI12

Passed Driver's Ed

I've got the HPA turbo/tune...it's ok, but I'd like more. I'm looking tune jump, but not so sure what tunes will work with this turbo.

The HPA tune keeps all my readiness on, except they typical one regarding the cat which people use the spacer to correct.

The tune from United Motorsport in Milford, CT (they are based there) was custom to my car. They flashed it, took it for a drive and made some adjustments to ensure no clutch, misfiring, fueling, etc issues. They also said they were quite familiar with the HPA turbo and have quite a aggressive tune. I can say from personal experience that the butt dyno approves.

I don't know what it does for emission readiness. I haven't really checked it. But since they are close to me I can just drive down to them when it's emissions time.

'12 GTI Autobahn | United Motorsport K04 | APR Carbonio Stage 1 & 2 Intake | CTS Turbo 3" Catted Downpipe | RokBlokz Mud Flaps | Spulen Street Dogbone Insert | VW DriverGear Springs

FriggenT1

Banned

Mine turns readiness on, no issues