GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Almost Traded my MK6 for an RS today

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
same. I do about 10-15 track days a year. It adds up so fast. I took on some students for the first time this season, not really a big fan honestly. It makes for a super long day if you are getting out of your session, then hopping right into a students car.

I was approached to teach as well. I didn't go for it mainly due to safety issues I felt the "students" cars had. Even though their respective cars would pass tech, some of the suspension tuning was so bad that we would be bouncing off bump stops and normal speeds during the orientation of the track lap. I got out of the car, and said, "Dude, seriously how do you drive this thing" I refused to do any laps at speed in the car for what I felt were "Safety Issues". Some students thought I was some stuck up prick, but I take it seriously. They didn't, so I walked away from it.

All this stuff you guys are giving me is food for thought. :wosschilder980:

Jeff

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I was approached to teach as well. I didn't go for it mainly due to safety issues I felt the "students" cars had. Even though their respective cars would pass tech, some of the suspension tuning was so bad that we would be bouncing off bump stops and normal speeds during the orientation of the track lap. I got out of the car, and said, "Dude, seriously how do you drive this thing" I refused to do any laps at speed in the car for what I felt were "Safety Issues". Some students thought I was some stuck up prick, but I take it seriously. They didn't, so I walked away from it.

All this stuff you guys are giving me is food for thought. :wosschilder980:

Jeff

There's a lot of that unfortunately. I ask a lot of questions. Namely what kind of fluid are you using, when was it last flushed, what kind of pad etc. I usually will ask to drive their car first for a few laps before agreeing to get in as a passenger.

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
Friends of mine from the Evo world have told me they have seen their fair share of RS issues at the tracks. It actually puzzles me to be honest because Ford specifically designed the RS to handle 30 min of track use at a time. Maybe they just didn't give it much room for error. We know people all drive differently and to vouch for 30 minutes of track use for all driving styles may have been a reach to say the least.

Yeah I read that somewhere too, but I just don't see it with the way the RS comes setup from the factory. Ford also had issues with their base GT350's overheating at the track (I think they're actually getting sued by owners over this), so their track testing might not be too rigorous. FWIW I did come across an RS at the track last year and he didn't seem to be having any overheating issues, but it was a cool day and he was going at a slower pace. Probably still feeling the car out, but at least it shows the RS can handle track duty in the right conditions I guess.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
same. I do about 10-15 track days a year. It adds up so fast. I took on some students for the first time this season, not really a big fan honestly. It makes for a super long day if you are getting out of your session, then hopping right into a students car.

One of my friends started instructing recently and says the exact same thing. He's constantly hopping into students' cars and never has time to get his car sorted before his session is gridding. When I think about it though, I'm almost always riding in friends' cars anyway or having friends ride along so it might not be that different for me. Maybe not 2, but I'd take on 1 student per weekend if it means $50 track days! Too bad my wife doesn't think the same way :(

Last edited:

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
If nothing is wrong with your car and it's paid off, I would not trade it in/sell it to have car payments.

$500/mo is $500. Sorry but there's no way in hell I would pay $32K for a Ford Focus.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
If nothing is wrong with your car and it's paid off, I would not trade it in/sell it to have car payments.

$500/mo is $500. Sorry but there's no way in hell I would pay $32K for a Ford Focus.

Try $42K

You are right $500 a month is $500 a month.

Jeff

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Can anyone help me figure out how to put photos on here? I tried some links not sure if you could see those, I used to use Photo Bucket but they wont allow you to share photos without paying a fee. Is there a new app or something out there to post the photos?

Thanks. That way I can share photos of the cars with you all..

Jeff

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie

Something to think about though:

Is a Lancer worth $500 a month? Lancer Evolution

Is an Impreza worth $500 a month? STI

Is a Golf worth $500 a month? R

Is a Focus worth $500 a month? RS

The only one of the group that even remotely looks like a $40k car is the Golf inside and out. I have not considered a Golf R for several reasons. 1) VW dealers dont have many of them and dont really deal, at least not in SoCal. 2) I look at my GTI and an R and I am like....yeah not much difference going on there to warrant the $$$$ and 3) Even though the R is the "top" Golf in many regards, on track it is the worst of the group above mentioned. Or I should say is the least "turn key" track car of the group. So just never looked at them.

Did you guys see the new European Car Mag? GTI and all plaid on the cover?? Pretty cool, good article in there about an MK6 GTI modded with Unitronic gear. Inspiring me. :wosschilder980:

Jeff

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
I look at my GTI and an R and I am like....yeah not much difference going on there to warrant the $$$

Jeff

Really? Not the AWD? Or the stock is38 turbo? The fact that's it's made in Germany over Mexico? The better interior? Need more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Sorry I'm comparing to the mk7 gti not yours

Yes those factors you mentioned are subjective. The R is part time AWD not full time. The Haldex system isn't the greatest AWD, especially for track use.

The fact that the R is built in Germany? My MK6 is built in Germany, its not perfect I have had issues, so I doubt the Mexico built cars are much better or worse.

The R is nice, but honestly folks, new for new a MK7 GTI SPort would be the best option to me IF I wanted to get a new VW. The R, though quicker in some regards for the most part, isn't the best buy. Too many others available in the same price point.

The R does have a nice interior, yes but I dont care about that, I want a good platform to build from with as little issues as possible. I was spoiled in the Evo world I guess. Never had any issues at all. Nothing mechanical anyway. Apples to oranges though in comparison IMO.

My GTI is my first German car. There is one other in the family a 1960 Bug Convertible that has been in the family for over 50+ years. Ironically that 60 bug has been in the shop less than my car has been:thumbup:

Things are different now of course, I am just saying, I love the GTI for what it is, a very nice car with good performance, good build quality and decent MPG's. It may be a great car modded, or my worst nightmare modded :23: and I guess that is the risk, or chance you take with any build. I know this.

You guys are just braver than I am, or just love the brand more than I do? Or just love your car more than I do? Not sure. I am just not doing anything till I decide.

I have put like 500 miles on my GTI in the last 10 months. It just sits. What a shame :yikes:

Jeff

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
Yes those factors you mentioned are subjective. The R is part time AWD not full time. The Haldex system isn't the greatest AWD, especially for track use.

The fact that the R is built in Germany? My MK6 is built in Germany, its not perfect I have had issues, so I doubt the Mexico built cars are much better or worse.

The R is nice, but honestly folks, new for new a MK7 GTI SPort would be the best option to me IF I wanted to get a new VW. The R, though quicker in some regards for the most part, isn't the best buy. Too many others available in the same price point.

The R does have a nice interior, yes but I dont care about that, I want a good platform to build from with as little issues as possible. I was spoiled in the Evo world I guess. Never had any issues at all. Nothing mechanical anyway. Apples to oranges though in comparison IMO.

My GTI is my first German car. There is one other in the family a 1960 Bug Convertible that has been in the family for over 50+ years. Ironically that 60 bug has been in the shop less than my car has been:thumbup:

Things are different now of course, I am just saying, I love the GTI for what it is, a very nice car with good performance, good build quality and decent MPG's. It may be a great car modded, or my worst nightmare modded :23: and I guess that is the risk, or chance you take with any build. I know this.

You guys are just braver than I am, or just love the brand more than I do? Or just love your car more than I do? Not sure. I am just not doing anything till I decide.

I have put like 500 miles on my GTI in the last 10 months. It just sits. What a shame :yikes:

Jeff

Dude go get your gti and run a golf R off the line and tell me which one is better. Go try to accelerate in wet conditions and let me know if that "part time" awd is gonna help. They also have Haldex controllers.

If I'm paying $40,000 for a German brand I want it built in Germany. Nuff said.

Once again is38 turbo you know what that is?

I don't live on a track and I'm sure you don't either. I need a good over all car and the golf R is just that, fast and with grip. I got a gti heavily modded and I can tell you that.

It's obvious that you made up your mind already. So why keep going with this?

Please tell me others in price point that have a superior transmission like the DSG? That will shift faster than you and hold more power than a manual stock!

Buy an old WRX as a track only car and that's it.

We not braver we just know what we got and what it can and can't do. We know the brand better than you and that's obvious. this is not my first VW and it won't be my last.

Both my mk5 and mk6 have barley been in the shop. And when they have it's been for minor issues. And my shop is very friendly and they make sure I'm happy with the work.

As to you saying the golf R is not the "best buy" that's subjective. To me it's an amazing buy with a DSG and AWD and is38 and better brakes from factory is perfect. I drive my car on the streets about 98% of the time. The rest on the track.

Last edited: