GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Preventative Maintenance / To Do

demon342

Ready to race!
Hey Everyone, got my 2011 GTI about 6 months ago now and the first few months were tough right off the bat. Needed new clutch, fought with the RMS (fixed finally), new revision PCV, recently just did wheel bearings, and have plans on doing a carbon cleaning since idle is rough and misfires are occurring left and right. Also there's this weird bicycle ticking that no one could figure out so I'm hoping a carbon cleaning might resolve that.

My saying is do basic maintenance and get the car running perfectly before you do any mods, basically start off on a clean slate. As of now I think after carbon cleaning I can finally start throwing on mods (super excited) my inquiry or question is what other things should I check (i.e. timing chain tensioner) before modding? Any common issues I haven't already taken care of, anything I should replace from the OEM part, possibly spare parts in case something goes wrong? Just trying to be as prepared as possible when shit does hit the fan. Car has about 146k miles (yea I know bite me) and I'm having high hopes this car reaches 200k or even above!

Also just a general question, as I am doing the carbon cleaning I saw recommendations by VW to use part number g-001-780-m3 before doing a manual cleaning. Does that fuel additive even work? With my mileage is it even worth it to try that as a prep step of a manual cleaning?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
The VW fuel additive is not going to do anything for heavy carbon buildup that is already on the valves. You really need to get it blasted or do a manual chemical scrub. I think the additive is meant to mitigate carbon buildup over time by helping to clean the injectors and create a more efficient burn or so they claim or maybe they just want to charge people $100 to pour fuel system cleaner in the gas tank. Do you have any codes by chance besides misfires? Spark plugs might be good to change as well.

Also you should check the timing chain tensioner ASAP over anything else. Could be a disaster waiting to happen especially at that mileage. The chains on these engines are known for becoming worn or stretched over time as well so it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace both if they were never done. If you're lucky maybe the tensioner was already updated.

andrewd

At your mileage I would definitely be looking to do a chain and tensioner if it hasn’t been done. In addition if you are doing a carbon cleaning might be worth while to replace the intake manifold and injectors if they are original while the intake is off. Other than that maybe plugs and coils.

GTIguy30

Passed Driver's Ed
At your mileage I would definitely be looking to do a chain and tensioner if it hasn’t been done. In addition if you are doing a carbon cleaning might be worth while to replace the intake manifold and injectors if they are original while the intake is off. Other than that maybe plugs and coils.

I also have a 2011, and had a rough few months with it recently. Between the fuel injectors, RMS, and turbo failing...

There is an extended warranty for the 2011s (not sure any other years) out to 120,000 miles.

However, as Andrew pointed out above, when you are doing the carbon cleaning often times at least 1 or more of the injectors will come out AND you are right there anyway. The bosch ones aren't too expensive, just do it.

The chain and tensioner is a MUST. If you are planning on going Stage I (and even if not really) just plan on doing the red top coils, and buy 5. Throw the 5th near the spare tire or in your glove box. Coilpacks have a tendency to fail at the most inopportune times.

Fuel additives aren't going to do much for carbon build-up. The valves aren't being sprayed by the fuel... So how is the additive supposed to get there to help? I wouldn't waste my time and money on them. Buying a better quality gas will do much more than buying cheap gas and using an additive.

demon342

Ready to race!
The VW fuel additive is not going to do anything for heavy carbon buildup that is already on the valves. You really need to get it blasted or do a manual chemical scrub. I think the additive is meant to mitigate carbon buildup over time by helping to clean the injectors and create a more efficient burn or so they claim or maybe they just want to charge people $100 to pour fuel system cleaner in the gas tank. Do you have any codes by chance besides misfires? Spark plugs might be good to change as well.

Also you should check the timing chain tensioner ASAP over anything else. Could be a disaster waiting to happen especially at that mileage. The chains on these engines are known for becoming worn or stretched over time as well so it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace both if they were never done. If you're lucky maybe the tensioner was already updated.

I watched HumbleMechanics video on this and he has the same synopsis on the fuel additive. Please see my other post about the bicycle chain noise, thinking if I'm hearing a chain noise that I might wanna do chain and tensioner first rather than carbon cleaning

demon342

Ready to race!
I also have a 2011, and had a rough few months with it recently. Between the fuel injectors, RMS, and turbo failing...

There is an extended warranty for the 2011s (not sure any other years) out to 120,000 miles.

However, as Andrew pointed out above, when you are doing the carbon cleaning often times at least 1 or more of the injectors will come out AND you are right there anyway. The bosch ones aren't too expensive, just do it.

The chain and tensioner is a MUST. If you are planning on going Stage I (and even if not really) just plan on doing the red top coils, and buy 5. Throw the 5th near the spare tire or in your glove box. Coilpacks have a tendency to fail at the most inopportune times.

Fuel additives aren't going to do much for carbon build-up. The valves aren't being sprayed by the fuel... So how is the additive supposed to get there to help? I wouldn't waste my time and money on them. Buying a better quality gas will do much more than buying cheap gas and using an additive.

Yikes m8, at least my car was driveable other than clutch and even then I could still "drive" it to the shop and back to my house. The car has 140k miles on it so I'm probably out of the warranty period but I knew that when I bought the car so I really don't care the price I have to pay, just trying to make it "like new" again

GTIguy30

Passed Driver's Ed
Not sure the bicycle chain noise... Have you own a direct injection car before? They tend to "tick" and these engines do it a little more pronounced than some others.

If it is a rattle, only at startup, it is almost for certain chain stretch and your tensioner is likely failing.

At 105,000 miles, my factory suspension has seen better days. While no worn out, it certainly isn't doing me any favors. If at 140,000 miles you still have the factory suspension, it is likely toast.

Alignments can do wonders to "tighten up" the feel of the car.

Other than that, a solid tune up (plugs, coils, carbon clean, new air filter) will go a LONG ways towards unlocking power being robbed by old components.

demon342

Ready to race!
Not sure the bicycle chain noise... Have you own a direct injection car before? They tend to "tick" and these engines do it a little more pronounced than some others.

If it is a rattle, only at startup, it is almost for certain chain stretch and your tensioner is likely failing.

At 105,000 miles, my factory suspension has seen better days. While no worn out, it certainly isn't doing me any favors. If at 140,000 miles you still have the factory suspension, it is likely toast.

Alignments can do wonders to "tighten up" the feel of the car.

Other than that, a solid tune up (plugs, coils, carbon clean, new air filter) will go a LONG ways towards unlocking power being robbed by old components.

No this bicycle noise is very profound and can be clearly heard in person. It's not the valve chatter or the n80 valve. The only way I can describe it is it sounds like a mountain bike when it's gliding that chain chatter/ticking. Only happens when the rpms drop. I started the car and had someone rev it while I held my hand on the timing chain cover and the vibrations match with the noise. That might be normal but either way I'm sure it's a timing chain due for service and nothing a carbon clean can fix. Also I have not owned a direct injection vehicle before. I did have a 2.5l golf that I totaled but it didn't have this chatter. That also had 62k miles

I believe the suspension is stock but the car sits lower than I would think stock would be and I have some fender rub (stock wheels and tires too) so I'm not sure if the po did any suspension work. They did add a CAI, throttle body piping, bigger discharge and charge pipes as far as I can tell. After I got the wheel bearings tho I fell back in love with the car. Note: old wheel bearings fucking suck

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
Timing Chain tensioner. Then Carbon cleaning with plugs and new red top coils you will be pleased. Mods generally should be tires, tune, IC, mounts then Cai/exhaust for noises

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
No this bicycle noise is very profound and can be clearly heard in person. It's not the valve chatter or the n80 valve. The only way I can describe it is it sounds like a mountain bike when it's gliding that chain chatter/ticking. Only happens when the rpms drop. I started the car and had someone rev it while I held my hand on the timing chain cover and the vibrations match with the noise. That might be normal but either way I'm sure it's a timing chain due for service and nothing a carbon clean can fix. Also I have not owned a direct injection vehicle before. I did have a 2.5l golf that I totaled but it didn't have this chatter. That also had 62k miles

I believe the suspension is stock but the car sits lower than I would think stock would be and I have some fender rub (stock wheels and tires too) so I'm not sure if the po did any suspension work. They did add a CAI, throttle body piping, bigger discharge and charge pipes as far as I can tell. After I got the wheel bearings tho I fell back in love with the car. Note: old wheel bearings fucking suck

I would say it’s tensioner and or chain time (maybe post up a video of it), Get it done as a priority or you may regret it later! As for the ride height post some pictures/side shots, if it’s rubbing then probably not stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jarred767

Ready to race!
I got an ‘11 about six months too (just rolled over 100k) and i love the car. I felt the same way as you about PM before mods. Along with what others mentioned (tensioner, carbon cleaning, spark plugs, red top coils) i also changed my manual transmission fluid, fuel filter, air filter, cabin air filter, coolant, and brake fluid is the last one on my list. I didn’t know when most had been done last, so wanted a fresh start, and all are pretty easy/cheap to DIY.

I just recently went stage 1 and love it even more. Next up is to make it sound better and upgrade some suspension parts, which at 146k miles, if you’re running original parts, that would probably make a huge improvement. Have fun with it!!

Uberryan

Banned
I'm lucky because I had a full long block replacement about a little over a year ago. The oil pan has a oil pressure plug on the bottom which many have indicated puts the new engine in the 2013-2014 range, so I should be saved in regards to timing chain/tensioner. I did have my A/C sensor die a year ago, so I'm waiting to replace that and hoping it doesn't require the blower, condenser, and compressor to be replaced.

I had to replace the clutch pack in my DSG though, before the 50k mark on my dime. That was kinda shitty. Other than that, coil packs, etc are the norm. RMS has been done twice now, so I assume we're all good there. My suspension kinda feels like garbage though. Can feel every bump in the road, so either my shocks are done, or the bushings are...

Some suggested the bushings fail like crazy on these, even if they look ok... so I'm going to look into that job soon.

demon342

Ready to race!
Cars currently in the shop for the timing chain tensioner, cross fingers this fixes the bicycle chain noise