GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Parking Brake Issue Due to Caliper?

Logan176

Parking Brake Update

Okay... I'm starting to get frustrated.

When I replaced the rear rotors and pads at the end of October, the parking brake seemed to be working almost like new. So, I thought maybe the handle previously had too much play because the piston in each caliper was extended too far.

But during the past month, the problem got progressively worse to the point where the parking brake handle has 2 inches of play (1 click). I can actually get the parking brake indicator on the dash to light up before I feel any resistance in the handle. I can still get the brake to engage, but the handle has to be pulled up 12 clicks.

I bought new springs from ECS (the guy on the phone was really helpful) and had a local shop install them because it is way too damn cold to get under the car right now without a garage. Unfortunately, that didn't solve the problem. I also tried adjusting the parking brake by pressing the pedal down all the way, pressing the button on the e-brake handle, and pulling up on the handle 2-3 times. No change.

Can you guys think of what else could be causing this problem? I just find it weird that after replacing the pads and rotors that everything was fine for a while. Is it possible that the small arm where the cable and spring attach is gunked up? I'd rather not have to replace the caliper if I don't need to.

Last edited:

ce4

Ready to race!
Parking Brake Update

Okay... I'm starting to get frustrated.

When I replaced the rear rotors and pads at the end of October, the parking brake seemed to be working almost like new. So, I thought maybe the handle previously had too much play because the piston in each caliper was extended too far.

But during the past month, the problem got progressively worse to the point where the parking brake handle has 2 inches of play (1 click). I can actually get the parking brake indicator on the dash to light up before I feel any resistance in the handle. I can still get the brake to engage, but the handle has to be pulled up 12 clicks.

I bought new springs from ECS (the guy on the phone was really helpful) and had a local shop install them because it is way too damn cold to get under the car right now without a garage. Unfortunately, that didn't solve the problem. I also tried adjusting the parking brake by pressing the pedal down all the way, pressing the button on the e-brake handle, and pulling up on the handle 2-3 times. No change.

Can you guys think of what else could be causing this problem? I just find it weird that after replacing the pads and rotors that everything was fine for a while. Is it possible that the small arm where the cable and spring attach is gunked up? I'd rather not have to replace the caliper if I don't need to.

Did you ever get this solved? Starting last night, my car is doing the same thing again. I haven't changed the brakes yet and my driver side rear gets hot and smells burnt. Pulled over on the side of the road and tried the adjustment method and nothing.

AM407

Autocross Champion
Brake sticking and play in the handle? Could just be a worn out parking brake cable.

You can spray some WD-40 into the cable housing at the brake end and see if that helps. If it does, then you’ve found your problem. It will come back, though, so cable needs to be replaced regardless.

ce4

Ready to race!
n46-10001_1a7c9a.jpg
would you be able to id which part i should try spraying in? Just curious, might go try after work. TIA!!!

AM407

Autocross Champion
Looks like 18 (it’s a lot longer, pic just shows the end.)

You might need to pull the end of the cable free from where it attaches. Can’t remember what you need to take apart to make that happen, but should be obvious when you’re in there.

Once the end is free, you can pull the inner cable back and forth a bit. You’ll probably find it’s gritty and sticking. Spray some lube in there and work the cable back and forth. It will feel smoother, but in my experience it won’t last long.

I think road grime and grit gets in there and chews up the housing. Solution is a new cable. There are two, one for each side. Can’t remember if they’re sold in pairs, but as I recall they were pretty cheap. Took me maybe an hour to replace both.

Reactions: ce4

ce4

Ready to race!
Nice! Thanks for the info!