GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2012 Volkswagen Golf R w/ K40 Radar, APR Stage 3, VWR Swaybars, Stage 3 Clutch & more

GMP Performance

Ready to race!
2012 Volkswagen Golf R w/ K40 Radar, APR Stage 3, VWR Swaybars, Stage 3 Clutch & more

What do you get when you mix a Volkswagen, some of the top-in-their-class manufacturers, GMP Performance and a customer who wants to make a super fast car even faster? A Golf R that is practically a rocket ship. From its APR Stage III Turbo kit down to its HRE wheels and Michelin tires, we went for a "go big or go home!' approach to this build. Excited doesn't begin to describe how we feel about being presented with opportunities like this.

Parts Installed:
Brembo Front 6-piston 350x34 2-Piece Big Brake Gran Turismo Kit
DXD Stage III Clutch
Sigma 6 Speed Short Shift Kit
K40 RL System
APR Audi/VW 2.0T FSI High Pressure Fuel Pump Upgrade
APR FSI and TSI Front Mount Intercooler
APR 2.0T FSI Stage III Turbocharger System
Carbonio Cold Air Intake System for the VW/Audi 2.0T TSI Engine 2008.5+
VWR Engine Mounts
VWR Transmission Mounts for all Transverse 2.0T FSI, 2.0 TSI and 3.2L VR6
Bilstein PSS Height Only Adjustable Coil-over
Powerflex 2.0T TSI Lower Engine Dogbone Mount Insert (large)
VWR Adjustable Front Swaybars for All Transverse FSI, TSI, TFSI, TDI, 2.5L
VWR Adjustable Rear Swaybars for All Transverse FSI, TSI, TFSI, TDI, 2.5L
Michelin Pilot Super Sport
HRE P40SC Wheels

We started straight in with the performance upgrades first. We wanted this super-R to be fitted with the best so to APR we went, grabbing up a Stage III Turbocharger, front mount intercooler, and upgraded, high pressure fuel pump. A Carbonio Cold Air Intake was added to keep the car breathing and Volkwagen Racing engine mounts to stabilize all that additional power and we were ready to move on to the next, very crucial step in performance: drive train and suspension.

APR Stage III Turbo Charger

Carbonio Intake

APR Intercooler

VWR Engine And Transmission Mounts

DXD Clutches are some of the most popular clutches among VW and Audi owners and with good reason. Strong and reliable, they are designed not only for your car's power capabilities, but also for the purpose of the car. With the choice of daily, endurance, and drag, this Golf R was fitted with a Stage III daily configuration, a clutch that concentrates on keeping an OE feel but with increased benefits. To take full advantage of the new smoothness of the clutch, we also installed a great short shifter kit that would be light, precise and responsive.

DXD Clutch

When it came to suspension, our customer particularly wanted a kit that would allow for height adjustment. The Bilstein PSS Coilover kit covers that excellently. The PSS system will allow him to set the R to an ideal height for whatever he's tackling that day. With progressive rate springs and monotube gas pressure shocks, the kit promises better heat dissipation, optimum ride comfort, greater stability, and better road handling. For additional stability, especially when using the car for a bit of fun, front and rear adjustable swaybars from Volkswagen Racing were set up. When VWR developed their swaybars, they wanted them to be efficient upgrades for anything from a daily driver to a full on race car. Thus these bars significantly stiffen the cornering response characteristics without sacrificing comfort and were perfect for this Golf R, which would be demanding both.

Bilstein PSS Coilover Kit

VWR Swaybars

For a stock Golf R, good brakes are important. For a Golf R with all the power upgrades we did with this project, good brakes became crucial! We knew Brembo was the best place to go. Their big brake kits are second to none when you need supreme braking. Their kits are designed to give you the advanced technology and performance of their racing systems but with comfort and driveability for your daily driving as well. From the calipers to the rotors, each component is engineered to offer the most optimum performance available and we knew they were the greatest choice for the job.

With all this go, we needed some show. And what is the most effective way to get great looks in a quick swap? Wheels! HRE provided us with a set of P40SC wheels, a monoblock wheel that is lightweight, strong, and gorgeous. Designed for street performance cars and made from aerospace-grade forged aluminum for both high strength and low weight, HRE developed these wheels with a racing mentality; they needed to ensure enhanced braking, acceleration and handling while also reflecting a distinguished sense of style. We knew we needed to match wheels of this caliber with a tire that would be strong both on the street and strong on the track. Michelins always offer exceptional performance that can be relied on and we went to a favorite of ours: Michelin Pilot Super Sports. The Pilot Super Sport is a tire that uses all the technical knowledge and expertise Michelin has gained through their motorsports teams, delivered directly to you so you can conquer the asphalt, no matter where you are.

Before

After with HREs and Michelins

This car was now powerful, agile, and eye-catching, which meant we had one last upgrade to add and this was one of security. We installed a K40 RL Radar Detector System, a discreet and effective system we knew would help this customer to avoid speeding tickets in his new street-rocket. The K40 is a great system that is invisible with the exception of two small LED lights in the cabin that warn you of possible threats in the area. With the speeding tickets it can save you, it'll practically pay for itself!

K40 Radar System

From far away. Can you spot the radar system?

The rear

Inside- Off

Inside- On

This Golf R is a beast, from the ground up, and ready to tackle anything and everything it can have thrown at it. With serious power, extreme performance, superior handling, excellent braking, and snazzy looks to boot, we turned this R into the Super R it deserves to be! The customer is ecstatic and more than anything, that is our ultimate goal for the end result of
all of our projects here.

For more on this build, click here to visit the gallery!

GMP Performance

Ready to race!
Golf R Photoshoot

While we had it here, we decided to do something kind of cool for our customer and we took the car to a place nearby and did a bit of a photoshoot with it. We think some of the shots turned out nicely. What do you guys think?

TEFF

godfather
Congrats. I bet she runs awesome.

What about hp? You have some numbers?

Teff

08CW R32

Ready to race!
Congrats on a well thought out build from A to Z. Was curious if you left internals stock and I did not see a boost gauge in the pics. Being Stage 3 I would imagine the owner would want to keep an eye out on his boost levels.

Looks Amazing with or without the OEM Euro LED tails:)

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Horsepower? Was there a boost gauge installed that i missed?

kendrickhphoto

Ready to race!
Congrats on a well thought out build from A to Z. Was curious if you left internals stock and I did not see a boost gauge in the pics. Being Stage 3 I would imagine the owner would want to keep an eye out on his boost levels.

Looks Amazing with or without the OEM Euro LED tails:)

Horsepower? Was there a boost gauge installed that i missed?

It doesn't look like he had a boost gauge installed. If you look at the last engine bay shot he doesn't have a tap at all.

Okay. Not a crazy number to go balls out.

Yeah I'd say he still had a few thousand in labor on top of that though.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
What offset are those HRE's?

sprytdi

Ready to race!
What was the labor cost, on everything installed, including the radar set-up. Cuz I'm already looking into the APR gtx turbo kit and appropriate hardware and software, and have been wondering what labor would be.

sprytdi

Ready to race!
What offset are those HRE's?

Depends on wheel width, but I run a 15mm spacer on stock R wheels which have a 51mm off set, effectively making the off set 36 on a 7.5" wide wheel, or is it 8" wide, I can't remember. If its a 8.5"-9" wheel I bet the off set is somewhere between 42-48