GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is this the oem clutch? (Pics)

Aaron_1995

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm getting my Southbend stage 2 clutch installed today and my shop sent me pictures. There's one picture where the logo Clutch Masters is visible. I have no idea what the previous owner did to this car and why he'd need to replace the clutch before 32,000 miles. The only thing the dealership told me was there was some bodywork done from hitting a deer. He must have really ran this car hard for the clutch to go out at 36,000 miles on me. I'm don't know too much about cars, but the condition of the old clutch looks in pretty bad shape. Never did any launches and have basically only done pulls. Any help is appreciated :)

Bonus pics of southbend clutch installed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surferboy120

Passed Driver's Ed
That was not a stock clutch. To me this means he either was a terrible standard driver or he had stage 2 mods on the car at one time. Can you tell if the down pipe had ever been removed? The clutches in these cars are weak with any kind of mods so I am not surprised to see the clutchmaters setup but shocked it needed replacing already.

Aaron_1995

Passed Driver's Ed
That was not a stock clutch. To me this means he either was a terrible standard driver or he had stage 2 mods on the car at one time. Can you tell if the down pipe had ever been removed? The clutches in these cars are weak with any kind of mods so I am not surprised to see the clutchmaters setup but shocked it needed replacing already.

I know he has some type of aftermarket exhaust. It looks like it's called OBX performance and I know there's no cat, but I am unsure about the downpipe. Everything else seems stock from the looks of it. I would assume he would have a CAI if he was stage 2 but I have the stock intake. I wish I knew the previous owner so I could find out what all he did.

Surferboy120

Passed Driver's Ed
I know he has some type of aftermarket exhaust. It looks like it's called OBX performance and I know there's no cat, but I am unsure about the downpipe. Everything else seems stock from the looks of it. I would assume he would have a CAI if he was stage 2 but I have the stock intake. I wish I knew the previous owner so I could find out what all he did.

These motors are strong so I wouldnt give it to much thought considering the miles just get the basics done and I am sure the car will be awesome for you.

Fluids
check plugs
validate no leaks
make sure the DV is not torn and is current revision if old

Drive and enjoy

nygti3491

Ready to race!
You can call unitronic apr giac etc. with your vin number and is if the car was ever tuned. But as stated above that definetly isn't stock. Just because of the stock intake doesn't mean it was modded at one point. It's very easy to put a stock air box in.

nygti3491

Ready to race!
I have loved since day one. After break in same feel and catch point as the stock on. Holds stage 2 gti power like a champ. The single mass fly wheel is louder then the dual stock one but me personally barely notice it. All and all I would recommend SB as a clutch to anyone that needs one.

Aaron_1995

Passed Driver's Ed
I have loved since day one. After break in same feel and catch point as the stock on. Holds stage 2 gti power like a champ. The single mass fly wheel is louder then the dual stock one but me personally barely notice it. All and all I would recommend SB as a clutch to anyone that needs one.

Dope can't wait to see how many car feels when it can actually put the power to the wheels! What'd you do for break in? I've heard 500 miles but I've also seen where people don't go over a certain rpm? What did you do?

nygti3491

Ready to race!
All I did was baby it for the first 500-700 miles in stop and go traffic not sure at what rpms but I didn't really go into boost then I slowly starting to beat the hell out of it shortly after that.