GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch Questions

GtiDom25

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys what's up, I have a question about a clutch. So I have a 2012 gti with a 3inch full turbo back catless billyboat exhaust, neuspeed air intake, forge spacer, and a custom stage 2 tune. I've had this tune for a few months now and it's wearing down my stock clutch obviously, so when the weather warms up I'll need a new clutch. My real question though is can I get away with buying a new clutch disk and keep the stock flywheel and pressure plate? Im asking because I've heard this a few times. If I can save an extra $700 id like to. So is it ok to just buy and use a new stage 2 clutch disk without the the rest? Any insight helps, thanks!

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
How many miles on the clutch? How many have been tuned? Are you hard on the clutch? Will you be installing the clutch yourself?

Some have gotten away with upgrading the disk only to the South bend stage 3 drop in disk at low mileage. If you have a lot of miles or a lot of wear on your clutch you'll want to replace the whole clutch. Look into the DIY RSR clutch kit as a budget, full-clutch, alternative for holding up to K04 power levels. I think you have lots of research ahead of you :D

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I'd replace the pressure plate for sure. It seems like that's the reason the clutches begin to slip in the first place.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the flywheel too, but if you have pretty low mileage you could get away with reusing the old one. If you've been driving around with a slipping clutch you might want to replace it. You can't resurface a dual mass flywheel.

GtiDom25

Passed Driver's Ed
The car has just under 50,000 miles, I've had the tune for probably 2,000 miles maybe a bit more. I don't drive it hard because I want my clutch to last as long as i can, but it does slip if I do a pull.

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
I'd replace the pressure plate for sure. It seems like that's the reason the clutches begin to slip in the first place.

Also, the OEM pressure plate has been revised since the original one in your 2012. Some folks (myself included) have had the old one suddenly fail, so now's your chance to replace it with a better quality part and not have to worry about it.

slowgti08

Ready to race!
If it was me I’ll replace everything . Dropping the trans ( labor ) once is a lot having to do it twice for something such as the pressure plate or flywheel having issues is absurd. Do it right the first time. Save your self money in the future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GtiDom25

Passed Driver's Ed
I totally agree with that as well, one of my thoughts was just to do it all while I'm under there. I'll be doing the work myself so it would be annoying to have to go back under a second time.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
I totally agree with that as well, one of my thoughts was just to do it all while I'm under there. I'll be doing the work myself so it would be annoying to have to go back under a second time.

I recently did a DIY RSR clutch install (IMO a good clutch for your scenario if you want to retain OEM NVH) and did a write up with part numbers, links, tips, and pics in my build thread. Follow that link and scroll down to the bottom. It should help you out. Let me know if you have any questions since the job is still fresh in my mind.

ferrariF601

Ready to race!
I recently did a DIY RSR clutch install (IMO a good clutch for your scenario if you want to retain OEM NVH) and did a write up with part numbers, links, tips, and pics in my build thread. Follow that link and scroll down to the bottom. It should help you out. Let me know if you have any questions since the job is still fresh in my mind.

i have to agree on the RSR clutch; i have the same set up on my car (albeit i bought the kit directly from HS tuning b4 people started to piece together their own) and i must say i absolutely love it; 20K miles later still grabs like the first time and best of all its got the same STOCK pedal feel as a stock car