GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What car did you come from, and how did it compare?

What car did you come from?

• Volkswagen

Votes: 61 15.8%
  • German - Mercedes, Audi, BMW, etc

Votes: 64 16.6%
  • Japanese - Honda, Nissan, Acura, etc

Votes: 172 44.7%
  • American - Dodge, Chevrolet, Ford, etc

Votes: 65 16.9%
  • Something else (explain)

Votes: 23 6.0%

• Total voters

rondocap

Ready to race!
So by reading the forums, I noticed a trend - a lot of people seemed to have come from other German performance cars, often moving to the GTI because it still offers most of the fun for a much more affordable everyday living price. (Be it gas, maintenance, or monthly payment.)

So my question is, what car did you come from? How do you compare it to the GTI? DO you plan on sticking around or changing it up in the future?

My answer - I came from a Mercedes S55 AMG. I loved that car, but thankfully the GTI has made me not miss it at all. I was tired of the constant maintenance - i.e something expensive needing repair every month. The gas was also bad, would average 16mpg city and highway. The GTI, on the other hand - has warranty, is more reliable, and cheaper to run gas wise.

On the performance side - I am surprised that I have more fun driving the GTI than the I did the Mercedes. With the APR Stage 1 tune and Carbonio intake, it's making good power and it pulls pretty hard - not to mention where it truly shines and outwits the S55: On the twisty roads and curves. The GTI is so lively and responsive.

As for the future, I am extremely impressed with the GTI. I want to keep this one around a long time, it makes a fantastic daily driver and would compliment a second car nicely as it ages in the coming years. I just hope with the light mods it won't give me any issues, but I take care of it so hopefully it will serve me well!

Oh, and it feels so much better to spend my money willingly on things such as mods, instead of being forced to spend my money on repairs on the S55.

:w00t:

Last edited:

GTIProject

Ready to race!
Came from three Hondas and a lemon of a Nissan Sentra.

Cross-shopped a WRX, 2012 Si 4-dr and a Mazdaspeed 3. I think we all know why we bought a GTI instead of any of those.

fortysix_and_2

Came from: 2005 Subaru Impreza -> 2008 Subaru WRX (modded COBB Stage II) -> 2011 GTI (no power mods yet).

While I love the AWD handling of the Subaru, the refinement of the VW is lightyears ahead of the Subaru. The power difference is negligible as proven by the "Girlfriend Dyno".

ImmI

Ready to race!
I guess "Something else (explain)" would fit me. The GTI is my first car.

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
Most recently from a 2000 Toyota Celica GT 5 speed that I racked 195,000 problem free miles on. It was my highway commuter 110 miles round trip every day. Managed to squeeze 40mpg out of it too since it was just used on the highway and we used my wife's RAV4 around town. It was as basic as can be, no power windows or locks or anything fancy like that. After purchase it only went to the dealer once for a recall. Do my own maintenance. It was rear ended 2 times and the body shop guys were amazed at how strong that sloping hatchback design was for those sorts of collisions.

Picked up the GTI over labor day weekend and it's already been to the dealer twice for electrical issues and is scheduled for a third visit for the leaking rear nozzle. So it's already far less 'reliable' than any of my previous cars(Acura Legend, Mazda 626, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Acura RSX, Mazda6s, Celica).

I'm working from home twice a week now so the loss in mileage and moving up to premium fuel isn't too big of a concern.

If I were to sit down and design the perfect car for my wife and I, the GTI is pretty much what we'd come up with. Such a monumental upgrade that I'm not minding the trips to the dealer.

Uberryan

Banned
MKV GTI, and then a Neon SRT-4 previous to that. Both were modded, both had an extreme amount of issues to justify getting rid of them after a while. The MK6 is grounds above the MKV and feels much more sturdy and responsive.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
1999 Hyundai Tiburon -> 2004 Suburu Impreza STi -> 2010 VW GTI

The Tiburon was purchased as a dirt cheap daily beater so the STi could sit in the garage and only come out when I felt like driving it, which was a fantastic arrangement. The contrast between the two cars led me to feel that the STi was the most awesome thing on the planet every time I drove it. Unfortunately, I got hit in the Tiburon while waiting to make a left turn and the Hyundai was totalled.

Maybe I should have purchased another cheap beater car, but I didn't, and after a year and a half of daily driving the STi it completely wore me out. What made the car such a blast to drive made it a complete chore to commute in.

For about six months leading up to the purchase of the GTI I did a lot of window shopping. I almost bought a Cobalt SS but the dealership didn't want to work with me. Soon after the MkVI GTI was released I went to the dealership to check one out. I liked it so I bought it.

The STi was a faster and more visceral car. With that said, aside from when the GTIs electronic nannies kick in, I do feel that the GTI is a better handling car. I would say that it is a better handling car without any reservation if I could completely switch off the ESP. In a straight line a GTI with an ECU upgrade might even out accelerate a stock STi.

Overall I like the GTI a lot more than the STi, although sometimes I do wish I had kept the STi as a second car.

P

plac

1999 Hyundai Tiburon -> 2004 Suburu Impreza STi -> 2010 VW GTI

The Tiburon was purchased as a dirt cheap daily beater so the STi could sit in the garage and only come out when I felt like driving it, which was a fantastic arrangement. The contrast between the two cars led me to feel that the STi was the most awesome thing on the planet every time I drove it. Unfortunately, I got hit in the Tiburon while waiting to make a left turn and the Hyundai was totalled.

Maybe I should have purchased another cheap beater car, but I didn't, and after a year and a half of daily driving the STi it completely wore me out. What made the car such a blast to drive made it a complete chore to commute in.

For about six months leading up to the purchase of the GTI I did a lot of window shopping. I almost bought a Cobalt SS but the dealership didn't want to work with me. Soon after the MkVI GTI was released I went to the dealership to check one out. I liked it so I bought it.

The STi was a faster and more visceral car. With that said, aside from when the GTIs electronic nannies kick in, I do feel that the GTI is a better handling car. I would say that it is a better handling car without any reservation if I could completely switch off the ESP. In a straight line a GTI with an ECU upgrade might even out accelerate a stock STi.

Overall I like the GTI a lot more than the STi, although sometimes I do wish I had kept the STi as a second car.

seriously? you think the GTI is a better handling car than the AWD STI?

OldSchoolVW

Ready to race!
Came from a 2007 Toyota Tundra double cab, talk about no fun parking that thing. I still miss it though, just not the often trips for gas. Had a volant intake, dual exhaust (factory cats only no mufflers and factory tubular headers that were oem) god that thing sounded mean, brush guard, side rails, diy bed liner(typical truck add-on stuff). She was a great truck!

Attachments

• tundra.jpg
    tundra.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 205

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
seriously? you think the GTI is a better handling car than the AWD STI?

Let me add some backstory here....

For years I autocrossed the STi twice a month and did numerous track days. The STi has an incredible amount of grip, but it's a difficult car to figure out.

Subaru hampers the car from the factory by installing excessively long bumpstops in the front suspension, leading to the car's reputation for brutal understeer. Because you always came into contact with those bumpstops under hard cornering, any attempt to use the brakes while turning (trail braking) usually lead to the front end completely washing out on you. I'm not talking the a slight push like you might experience in a GTI which can be quickly and easily dealt with by adjusting throttle input... I'm talking the front end is gone and it's not coming back until you scrub off a lot of speed.

Because of this you have to develop a style which squares off all corners. Brake hard in a straight line, turn the car hard and sharply, and when it's almost pointed mash the throttle to the floor. The neat thing about the 2004 STi's AWD system is that the center differential is geared to send 35% of torque to the front wheels and 65% to the rear when it's in it's "normal" state. So when you mash on the throttle the rear tires break loose first and the car begins to rotated, then the center differential starts to lock and the front wheels bite and pull the car through the corner as the rear end is waggling (ridiculously fun, BTW).

Eventually I modified the car with a custom coilover setup where I choose specific spring rates and lengths that allowed me to run the car without bumpstops. At *that* point the STi was probably the best handling car I had ever driven. It was still a touch pushy on corner entry, but with just the right touch I could attack corners with a lot more entry speed than I could before.

How I define handling: the ease with which one can get the most out of a car's tires.

IMO the GTI is incredibly easy to drive quickly. It took me very little time to get comfortable with and the first time I autocrossed it I felt like I could drive it really fast out of the box.

The STi certainly has more *grip* than the GTI, but it's a counter-intuitive car to drive which requires the driver to use what would be considered poor technique in any other car.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
The older STi's weren't very good, the newer ones are much much better.

....and I'll also say that I haven't driven a newer one so I can't compare. That said the issue with the older STis was entirely in the damper/springs they chose for the cars. Not enough bump travel before the stops are hit and the spring rate goes to infinite. When you fix that the older STis become incredible to drive.

RB06

Ready to race!
Came from a 2007 FJ cruiser. I really like it but I need to drive a lot for work and needed better gas mileage. The FJ was fun for camping, mudding, and other outdoor adventures. However the GTI is so much better on the road and the interior quality is wayyyyy better than the fj's.