GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Possible New K04 file from APR???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie@APR

Ready to race!
Can anyone help answer my question? Why the usual output in Australia is only around 281whp on 98oct? Is there something we're missing when the US has commonly higher numbers? Maybe our Dyno methods ? (mainline / Dyno dynamics)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Dyno variations, climate, elevation, drivetrain variances, and the vehicles mechanical condition are the largest variables. The last one meaning, not everyone puts their car together as well as others. Most people on here have never done a proper boost leak test or plan to do it as regularly as you are supposed to (every seasonal change is a good rule of thumb).

barney91

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks Jamie,

77 degrees, at sea level, Euro spec drive train with a boost leak tested system (holds 25psi). In fact I'm using US parts from Apr, CTS, Volant (have tried various configs and this was the best).

I'm thinking US Dyno setups are different. My numbers one of the higher k04 cars off a known heartbreaker. Anything we can do for more favourable output from v2.2 would be good.

Halvie

WOOSA
Thanks Jamie,

77 degrees, at sea level, Euro spec drive train with a boost leak tested system (holds 25psi). In fact I'm using US parts from Apr, CTS, Volant (have tried various configs and this was the best).

I'm thinking US Dyno setups are different. My numbers one of the higher k04 cars off a known heartbreaker. Anything we can do for more favourable output from v2.2 would be good.

Wouldn't think it would be the tunes you guys get seeing AU has the fastest APR cars in the world.

Jamie@APR

Ready to race!
I don't know why the rest of the world uses crank HP results on chassis dyno's. There is literally ZERO measurable way to know exactly how much the accessories, drivetrain, friction and pumping losses are on any vehicle using a chassis dyno. What you can measure is the final product, power to the pavement. Just something that always perplexes me.

barney91

Passed Driver's Ed
Wouldn't think it would be the tunes you guys get seeing AU has the fastest APR cars in the world.

This. Harding Performance told me my high boost numbers and power output was normal.... Guess I'm just trying to find out why. I even have healthy AFRs

Yep all numbers taken at the wheels here

lol gli

Go Kart Champion
what kind of dyno was it?

edit: nevermind, found it.

mainlines are like dyno dynamics here in the states...very, very low reading dynos.

TSIUG got a very low reading on his k04 setup on a dyno dynamics which hits 300+whp on dynojet

kurupt_hawaiian

Ready to race!
I hate shifting the car that close to redline, but from what I've read, at least in the first couple gears, you want to be pretty close to redline (6800) when shifting...I usually can't bring myself to go over 6k, this is my only car so I don't like to take a chance just to compare dick sizes with another driver.

I redline it and hit the limiter too, I just don't hold it at redline for that long...lol.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Dyno variations, climate, elevation, drivetrain variances, and the vehicles mechanical condition are the largest variables. The last one meaning, not everyone puts their car together as well as others. Most people on here have never done a proper boost leak test or plan to do it as regularly as you are supposed to (every seasonal change is a good rule of thumb).

What should be done for a proper boost leak test? I have gotten smoke tested, but apparently this isn't a proper boost leak test. I was told by an APR tech that I would have to remove the intake valve cam and then pressurize the system. I don't even know what that is... but it sounds like a lot of labor to do so.

A3SBQ

Ready to race!
Jamie@APR
After reading a tread on porting the K04 + installing an
aftermarket intake manifold disturbing the results on the stock/standard
tune (read not ment for these mods) I am getting worried of looseing whp.
So my question.
I have installed the neuspeed TOP and charge pipe combo deleting the restrict
pancake pipe.
Is this bad or good looking at the tune side when the tune isn't made for it?
I am also running a different DP then APR's it's from HPA and has 100cel cat.

These extra/different mods are populare by others runing APRs sw but no one have discused the real benefits of adding pars or use other branded parts.
Even the K04 can be used from other companies. Is the K04 always an K04?
Waist gate spring adjustment wise?

I am sorry if this is the wrong place to post but the feed back from APR is so great here.

I am so ready for news on Monday. :drool:

Jamie@APR

Ready to race!
All you want to do is pressurize the entire system to about 2-3 psi greater than you ever expect the system to operate with. The closer the crankshaft is to TDC, the closer one of the sets of valves in each cylinder is to being closed. This limits the amount of pressure lost during testing but it will still pressurize regardless of crank position. You want to use a large shop air compressor. You want to connect the boost leak tester to the turbos compressor inlet so every pressurized part of the system can be tested. If your PCV hose is bolted to your turbo inlet pipe, you will need to disconnect it and place a temporary block-off plate so you don't pressurize the crankcase. I usually remove the oil cap to minimize any crankcase pressure that may occur during a test.

Using a spray bottle filled with soapy water, spray every seal area from the turbo, intercooler piping clamps and hoses, intercooler, throttle body, intake manifold, boost solenoid hoses and anywhere else that's pressurized from the turbo. You want no leaks, which can be visibly found by the soapy water beginning to blow bubbles or create suds from the leaking air. You simply cannot be as thorough by sound or visual inspection alone. Also check that the PCV system is working and not allowing boost into the crankcase. I'm sure there are some good videos if you search on YouTube

Last edited:

Jamie@APR

Ready to race!
Jamie@APR
After reading a tread on porting the K04 + installing an
aftermarket intake manifold disturbing the results on the stock/standard
tune (read not ment for these mods) I am getting worried of looseing whp.
So my question.
I have installed the neuspeed TOP and charge pipe combo deleting the restrict
pancake pipe.
Is this bad or good looking at the tune side when the tune isn't made for it?
I am also running a different DP then APR's it's from HPA and has 100cel cat.

These extra/different mods are populare by others runing APRs sw but no one have discused the real benefits of adding pars or use other branded parts.
Even the K04 can be used from other companies. Is the K04 always an K04?
Waist gate spring adjustment wise?

I am sorry if this is the wrong place to post but the feed back from APR is so great here.

I am so ready for news on Monday. :drool:

Our calibrations are generally created to still operate with stock piping as well as our upgraded intercooler components so there should be enough range in the calibration to handle that minor variance.

The downpipe won't be a problem on our software intended for a downpipe or exhaust system modifications. We cannot say how our software reacts to putting exhaust parts on a calibration that wasn't intended to be used with those parts though.

We can only guarantee our software will work optimally with our K04 kit and components. Especially the wastegate system to control boost since we adjust every wastegate system to specific parameters before it ships. Our software is designed for this particular spring preload and spring pressure.

james9120

Go Kart Champion
Our calibrations are generally created to still operate with stock piping as well as our upgraded intercooler components so there should be enough range in the calibration to handle that minor variance.

The downpipe won't be a problem on our software intended for a downpipe or exhaust system modifications. We cannot say how our software reacts to putting exhaust parts on a calibration that wasn't intended to be used with those parts though.

We can only guarantee our software will work optimally with our K04 kit and components. Especially the wastegate system to control boost since we adjust every wastegate system to specific parameters before it ships. Our software is designed for this particular spring preload and spring pressure.

I know quite a few people run the CTS K04 kit (like myself) along with an APR tune, I can only hope that the calibrations line up!

Status
Not open for further replies.