GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Braided SS Brake Lines: Worth It?

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
One thing I've been a little disappointed about the GTI (that I noticed when I first test drove it) is brake feel. It's not bad, and it brakes just fine, it's just that it brakes like any other regular car.

The best braking car I've had was my old '97 Maxima. Being old, I ended up replacing most of the components- master cylinder, hoses, calipers, rotors and ceramic pads. Ooh-wee did it feel great after that. It had a firm pedal, with a very direct feel from pressure modulation to braking force. Lacking ABS, I was able to practice threshold braking to where I had a sense of what % to the limit I was in most situations. Stopping was just as fun as going.

How can I give the GTI more of that feel, within reason? Technically, SS hoses are supposed to do that since they eliminate something soft from the system. Can anyone who has them tell me if they make much of a difference?

torga

Autocross Champion
No answer for you, but interested in the subject. I feel the same way about my '95 Celica. Rebuilt brakes for all four corners, EBC pads with Brembo rotors, SS lines, full new hardware, and no ABS. I loved stopping.
But I gotta hand it to the GTI, at least its ABS is more predictable than other modern cars I've driven.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
If you need new brake lines SS is a good choice. I've had SS brake lines on few cars (non-GTI) & to be honest the SS lines didn't make a noticeable difference in peddle feel. At least not to me.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
no noticeable difference for day to day driving especially if stock lines are in good condition. GTI stock brakes do suck...pads would make more of a difference

zrickety

The Fixer
I haven't tried the master bracket, but the tyrolsport caliper bushings are a BIG improvement over the rubber pieces. Beyond that, I would look at better pads. I have ECS geomet cross drilled/slotted rotors and they have been fantastic. Took track abuse and didn't miss a beat.
Did all this improve the feel? I'm not sure but the car brakes better than a 'regular' car.

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
I haven't tried the master bracket, but the tyrolsport caliper bushings are a BIG improvement over the rubber pieces. Beyond that, I would look at better pads. I have ECS geomet cross drilled/slotted rotors and they have been fantastic. Took track abuse and didn't miss a beat.
Did all this improve the feel? I'm not sure but the car brakes better than a 'regular' car.

Those caliper bushings sound intriguing. I'll be changing my front brakes in the near future, so that'll be the perfect time to pick those up. I'll probably do that and skip the SS lines.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
I honestly thought the tyrolsport caliper bushings did nothing. Eventually just got a proper bbk

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I thought TT-RS brake setup felt good when I got it...then got ST40s after which was even better.

FF_animal

Ready to race!
I've been running the stop tech ss lines with centric rotors and stop tech pads with oe vw fluid and the pedal feel definitely feels better good bite once you really dig Into the brakes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk