GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Who has switched tunes between APR and Unitronic - and why?

big_c

Ready to race!
Sometimes it isn't about horsepower but rather power delivery.

You sound like you work for APR.

I don't work for APR nor prefer one tune more than any other. I just find it fascinating that people will drop tons of money for little to no benefit.

Hwcn

Ready to race!
I don't work for APR nor prefer one tune more than any other. I just find it fascinating that people will drop tons of money for little to no benefit.

Clearly there has to be some benefit given the amount of people doing it.

Personally, I will be switching tunes because my current tune has never been right and the level of support after the sale from the installer and tuning company has been horrid.

The benefit does not necessarily have to be just about performance, but how a company and its representatives treat you.

excelevant

Go Kart Champion
I had "the best" custom tuner in the Ford truck market tune my F150, then switched to another after I read countless reviews of how another company had done so much better. Sure enough, they had.

I know for a fact this car has shit throttle response stock and with APR tuning. If GIAC, or Uni can fix that, I'll switch for the increase in drive ability. Not for +/- 5hp

big_c

Ready to race!
Clearly there has to be some benefit given the amount of people doing it.

Your point above is flawed logic, it is simply the herd mentality causing the switching. I was referencing people that switch in a quest to gain more power. They get a tune, get used to it so it the car then feels slow again, then read a dyno or a review on a forum so they think "this other tune must be the greatest thing ever."

That's too bad that you have dealt with poor customer service. That would definitely make me look elsewhere as well.

excelevant

Go Kart Champion
^ lol

Yes. Don't get us started on what people do because others do as well

"Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is still the truth" - Ghandi

Hwcn

Ready to race!
Your point above is flawed logic, it is simply the herd mentality causing the switching. I was referencing people that switch in a quest to gain more power. They get a tune, get used to it so it the car then feels slow again, then read a dyno or a review on a forum so they think "this other tune must be the greatest thing ever."

That's too bad that you have dealt with poor customer service. That would definitely make me look elsewhere as well.

My point is not necessarily flawed. It could be herd mentality which sort implies the herd is poorly informed and not very bright, or it could be that there are some legitimate reasons. You could be right about the herd mentality, but you also could be wrong. Clearly neither of us have enough info to definitively dismiss the other persons logic as flawed.

big_c

Ready to race!
My point is not necessarily flawed. It could be herd mentality which sort implies the herd is poorly informed and not very bright, or it could be that there are some legitimate reasons. You could be right about the herd mentality, but you also could be wrong. Clearly neither of us have enough info to definitively dismiss the other persons logic as flawed.

The statement "clearly there is some benefit because so many are doing it" is a logical fallacy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

I just brought up the point because I found it humorous on the vortex the amount of people that boast about switching tunes and claim how superior their new tune is, which is clearly another logical fallacy; confirmation bias.

BAM its mitch

Go Kart Champion
All the guys that go this route have confirmation bias, and is why they have
"OMG Unitronics what a difference so much more power" in their signature to profess this. lol.

And you are making an assumption that they have confirmation bias and not the fact that the new tune is in fact superior.

I will reiterate what I said before, it isn't always about horsepower. Sometimes having a tune that feels different is desirable. There are people who prefer stage 1 instead of stage 2 for this exact reason.

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
If you purchase an APR tune and are having driveability issues or others, you have 30 days to get a full refund if you are unsatisfied. There is also customer support to help you.

If you switch from one tuner to another tune in an attempt to increase power, it may possibly be the most expensive horsepowers you ever buy, and that is assuming you even gain any power. Spend the money on a better intercooler, W/M, or save it for your next turbo upgrade.

All the guys that go this route have confirmation bias, and is why they have
"OMG Unitronics what a difference so much more power" in their signature to profess this. lol.

What?

I mean I get your point about buying software twice but you obviously missed the numerous threads about APR K04 issues. That is why most of the guys switched. Not to make their car go faster but to fix their cars. Customer support? APR denies they have any issues and they say they can't replicate it on any of their cars. I have no reason to doubt them, but what do you say to all the guys that have issues? Buy a intercooler or a meth kit? You can't be serious. They have reflashed a couple of guys around here to fix oscillation issues, but that confirms there is a issue in the tune. Just check the K04 club thread or the "APR K04 issues where is Arin" thread, all the reason for your so called herd mentality are in those threads.

Now with the data being in the open, smart people that aren't UNI customers are looking at these logs and they know the UNI tune is better, and that is what we have been saying all along.

Last edited:

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Some of you need to ease up on the "herd". We have put hours and hours of testing, documenting, logging and troubleshooting with the original software provider. Its not a mass exodus, its a few of the very "bright", heavily informed MK6 owners that took the time to study and analyze real data behind our cars. I for one like that I have options to find what I believe to be a better software to fit my needs for daily driving. The choice to switch software was not for power gain reasons, it was for smoother power delivery and for the data that my car produced before and after. Now, on the subject of power increase, I do like the potential water meth software offering for when I add my Aquamist HFS-4 kit. Mdhollis is the front runner for the water meth file. Really looking forward to his results.

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
Here's something to gnaw on........A BW KKK-K03 turbocharger has better flow characteristics than the IHI. Since the EA888 engine has better head flow itself, why not commonize the K03 to an EA888 engine and tune it from there? THAT will probably gain you more power over the Stage 2 IHI. That number would be left to determine. Bronson and I had talked about doing this......................and may still do it just to see.

From my understanding, the Maestro cannot access the entire ECU protocol.

Im interested about this, I know of a few local users that changed their fsi k03 to k04s, it would sound like a nice mild upgrade. Im guessing there are going to be some changes in the hardware? I havent looked at the information on both turbos, I really should...

PatrickGTIVI

Ready to race!
2) Timing vs. boost. Each has their own pitfalls. Higher advance = Knock issues. Higher Boost equals internal pressure issues. Its all about managing them correctly.

Grambles - let's discuss why we can't have both. Let's say we're scavenging enough heat, our cylinder pressures are fine (lol @ that in this scenario, I think? Maybe the issue... but at this power level?) and our IATs are cooled by WMI/large IC... since we're at K04 levels we aren't out of fuel, so... what's up?

SayaGTI

www.meatspin.com
Grambles - let's discuss why we can't have both. Let's say we're scavenging enough heat, our cylinder pressures are fine (lol @ that in this scenario, I think? Maybe the issue... but at this power level?) and our IATs are cooled by WMI/large IC... since we're at K04 levels we aren't out of fuel, so... what's up?

I don't mean to butt in on your question to Grambles, but I'm learning as well.

So, with cooler intake temps, wouldn't that necessitate more fuel? The charge is denser, thus providing more power - assuming you have the fuel to back it. Then a K04 is going to be moving more air, so again... More fuel. I'm still learning the parameters of efficiency for this car's original equipment, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say with a K04 + WM + larger IC = overworked fuel pump. Which would then knock, right?

Again, I'm still learning so definitely point out where I'm incorrect.