GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NYC Inspection

JayJayTheJetPlane

Ready to race!
Hey all, so anyone having trouble passing inspection due to tints? They really are not letting any tints slide anywhere Im going...got that and my downpipe now to worry about and fix -_-

ben_m

Ready to race!
What % are your tints? My wifes G35 had tints (prior to us purchasing) they are maybe 25-30%, never had an issue.

JayJayTheJetPlane

Ready to race!
What % are your tints? My wifes G35 had tints (prior to us purchasing) they are maybe 25-30%, never had an issue.

Mine are 30%, didnt go too dark to avoid issues with cops and inspection but my friend has the same on her gti and no one will let her slide...someone here told me try tyrolsport, going to givr them a call and try going saturday

ahard48

Ready to race!
My buddy's barber sent him to a pep boys with $40 in the cup holder and got a shiny new sticker.

ben_m

Ready to race!
Mine are 30%, didnt go too dark to avoid issues with cops and inspection but my friend has the same on her gti and no one will let her slide...someone here told me try tyrolsport, going to givr them a call and try going saturday

I just take it to the dealership, I bought the car used and it already had the tints so at the time I'm guessing they were legal.

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
Ive been going to the same guy for years. I'm supposed to tell people I got the tints after the inspection if they ask. If you don't know anyone, you have to find a friend of a friend, someone who can vouch for you. They wont risk getting caught by an undercover. Losing the inspection license is shitty.

sta626

Ready to race!
I just take it to the dealership, I bought the car used and it already had the tints so at the time I'm guessing they were legal.

NYS law says your tints need to be 70% which is basically no tint. Depending on the different type of cars ... SUVs, station wagons, and trucks they let you tint the rear windows but now that nys law has changed where the inspection centers cant give you a sticker unless your tints meet the legal law % of 70% on the fronts and most cars on the rears you wont get an inspection sticker. Big fine for them so they dont do it unless you find someone that still does.

Ive been stopped twice in the past month by local nypd cops and they wonder how i have 35% tints all around my R and a new inspection sticker. Needless to say i get a lecture and a warning about them.

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
I have 50% tints on all 5 windows and haven't had any issues thus far getting an inspection done this year or with cops pulling me over. That being said, 50% tint is very subtle and you can still see through the glass even at night. I drive on the Tri-Boro/RFK bridge everyday due to work and I've had NY troopers along side me multiple times....nothing, they could careless.

sta626

Ready to race!
ive had tints on all my cars and to be honest no cop ever bothers you unless they want to. Tint checkpoints and if theyre looking to give out tickets. I live in queens and both times local blue and white nypd pulled me over and used the tints as an excuse and stressed it more than once each time. Got off with warnings after they ran my license and everything was clean. Ive been to 4 inspection stations this year and each one except the last one who finally gave me the inspection were complaining about the tints being too dark. They are 35% tints which is not dark at all but bottom line if they want to they will ticket. Its the law they follow of 70% tints. Basically cops discretion to use the tints or not to pull you over and ticket. Majority of inspection stations do not pass the car with tints in fear of getting fined.

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
I commute daily passed NYPD, Nassau, and Suffolk cops with 35% tints. Windshield was also tinted up until a few months ago when it got hit by a rock. Never been pulled over or given a hard time.

lukesGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Was turned away due to tints.
Came back again next day and told them they are permanent and got my sticker.