GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

Mk6Racing

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi everyone,

New to the forum and owner of a ‘13 GTI. Big fan of diy projects. I have a sub box installed in the trunk under the floor, and always felt that it sounds better when it’s not covered by the trunk liner, so decided to try and find a way to maintain function and open up for the sub.

I will be adding a piece inside the grey leather, which is why it’s slightly recessed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

93serprise

Ready to race!
Installed my Maxton Design rear diffuser....

GTiMKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
Have had my BLK/BLK 2011 GTi MK6 for 7 years now, and starting to get the itch for a new car. I love it though, so I figured if I make some mods to it, it will feel like a new car. Currently I just have the stage 1 ecu flash by APR. I was planning on doing the following:
1. APR Intake (not stage 2)
2. Torn btwn spacers or wheels. Feel like spacers do more damage than good, but open to opinions on this. If I go with wheels, I will get the VMR 710s in Titanium/Black finish. It’s a limited edition finish for $1000, but worth the extra $100 for the look I want.
3. Was thinking of Exhaust Tips because I didn’t want a loud exhaust, but I am now w considering going with the full CBE after hearing a few that add a nice deep tone without the loudness or farting sounds that I’m trying to avoid. Magnaflow has a great overall package, and I like the look of the exhaust, but I heard it rusts very easily. Also considering Borla, AWE, and 42DD (But with 4 inch tips).
4. Tints all around (nothing crazy, but just darker than stock).

That’s about it. Lately I’ve noticed a little disconnect btwn the steering whheel and the tires (loose steering). Maybe it’s because of the Bridgestones that replaced the AS Dunlop’s suck (i have the tire wheel Package, so they replaced tires with whatever manufacturer had as replacement), but it may also be the fact that the car has 57k miles and may be loosening up a bit. I don’t want to sacrifice my ride comfort, as it’s not the best as it is now, and I’m planning on buying Conti DWS 06 tires, so I was wondering if I can resolve this with the Tyrolsport Collar Kit, or if I had to do a few more mods. And if so, what would you recommend doing to get a better steering feel without losing ride comfort?

Thanks for the feedback.

Mk6Racing

Passed Driver's Ed
Have had my BLK/BLK 2011 GTi MK6 for 7 years now, and starting to get the itch for a new car. I love it though, so I figured if I make some mods to it, it will feel like a new car. Currently I just have the stage 1 ecu flash by APR. I was planning on doing the following:

2. Torn btwn spacers or wheels. Feel like spacers do more damage than good, but open to opinions on this. If I go with wheels, I will get the VMR 710s in Titanium/Black finish. It’s a limited edition finish for $1000, but worth the extra $100 for the look I want.

3. Was thinking of Exhaust Tips because I didn’t want a loud exhaust, but I am now w considering going with the full CBE after hearing a few that add a nice deep tone without the loudness or farting sounds that I’m trying to avoid. Magnaflow has a great overall package, and I like the look of the exhaust, but I heard it rusts very easily. Also considering Borla, AWE, and 42DD (But with 4 inch tips).

That’s about it. Lately I’ve noticed a little disconnect btwn the steering whheel and the tires (loose steering). Maybe it’s because of the Bridgestones that replaced the AS Dunlop’s suck (i have the tire wheel Package, so they replaced tires with whatever manufacturer had as replacement), but it may also be the fact that the car has 57k miles and may be loosening up a bit. I don’t want to sacrifice my ride comfort, as it’s not the best as it is now, and I’m planning on buying Conti DWS 06 tires, so I was wondering if I can resolve this with the Tyrolsport Collar Kit, or if I had to do a few more mods. And if so, what would you recommend doing to get a better steering feel without losing ride comfort?

Thanks for the feedback.

Those wheels look great! I’m personally not a big fan of spacers, I’d rather get slightly wider wheels and tires to fill out the wheel house a bit better.

I bought mine with about 55k miles on it. I found that it felt a little soft during turning, which turned out to be the suspension in my case. Never noticed any play in the steering wheel though, but I’m curious to try the subframe kit as well since I hear it tightens up the chassis a bit.

In to hear about your exhaust choice. Right now I run a cat less dp, which didn’t change the note too much unless wot or close to wot. My plan is to go with the bottle style resonator to change the tone a bit, which it seems a few people have had great success with instead of doing an entire cbe.

GTiMKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the response. I agree with you on the wheels. Really the main thing about the exhaust are the tips. That’s what I really care about. I just figured if I do the tips, why not just go with a full CBE instead, like an AWE, BORLA, or Magnaflow which are under $700. My favorite is the Magnaflow, but I don’t like that it rusts that easily.

As for the suspension, it may be that. The collar kit should definitely help the crackling on turns in low speeds, and the steering to wheel response. Was just looking for some ideas. Thanks

riceburner

Autocross Champion
I'm running milltek no resonated catback and catted some downpipe. Sounds tits McGee. So quiet at idle you hardly can tell it's aftermarket. Get on it and just a really nice growl that let's the engine take the front stage. All the boost noise. I love it

GTiMKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
I was looking at the resonated Milltek race CBE. How does it fit and how do the tips look?

In regards to Milltek I think they build the exhausts for VWR. I really like the look of the Catback with the Titanium tips and R logo.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Installed my Maxton Design rear diffuser....

Looks good! For only $200 USD? Difficult to install? Does it feel sturdy?
Really changes the look.

93serprise

Ready to race!
Looks good! For only $200 USD? Difficult to install? Does it feel sturdy?

Really changes the look.

Super easy install that took about 15 minutes. Removed 4 screws underneath to be able to pull out the stock valance. Lined up the maxton diffuser which fits perfectly and has notches that line up with existing screw holes. Drilled through existing holes in Maxton piece and into valance and then secured using the provided bolts, washers, and nuts. Looks really good and gives the back a more aggressive look for sure.

Mk6Racing

Passed Driver's Ed
Being a leather craftsman by trade I’ve always wanted to try my hands at auto upholstery, so today I thought I should try a steering wheel wrap. I’ve seen the Xuji ones but didn’t like that it takes 1 month+ plus I like that it’s custom :)

Hoping to do a bit of stitching tonight to see if it will fit ok.

nevekd128

Ready to race!

Thanks for the feedback.

1. make your own intake, i use an apexi cone to feed my frankenturbo setup
2.if you're not going to lower the car, dont worry much about offset. Also there are tons of wheels, dont stay limited to the vmrs that 50% vw/audi community already have.
3. beluga racing exahust is cheap and good. If you keep your stock downpipe it wont be loud either
4. get summer tires. depending on where you live, run those year round. if you get an all season, you are going to get a softer sidewall. I'd recommend new front LCA bushings. I was getting oscillations when accelerating and cruising between 65 to 120. installed ttrs ones that are solid rubber and its so much more solid feeling.

GTiMKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks.

In regards to the intake, I am going to do the Carbonio intake from APR. I figured if I have the stage 1 ecu upgrade from them, I’d might as well pair it up with their intake.

As for the wheels, there are a few I like. Was basically going with the concave look, but don’t want to spend crazy money on them either. I was originally looking at the Avant Garde’s but that Titanium Finish on the limited edition VMRs is amazing. So it’s just a coincidence that I am going with VMRs.

I live in NJ so I don’t want to have to change my tires for winter. Also, you never know when the weather will take a turn for the worst here, so Id rather have piece of mind and stick with the Contis DWS 06 all season, even though adding new wheels can give me the option of having 2 separate sets.

In terms of the exhaust, I looked at BB, but the mufflers look a bit too “heavy” for me. Wanted a more clean cut look, and that’s why I was leaning towards the Milltek Race Exhaust or the Magnaflow. That rusting issue is killing me on the Magnaflow though, which is why I may just end up with Milltek.

I will definitely take a look at the front bushings, as steering feel/handling is very important to me. So thanks for the info.

Lastly, I’m really starting to like the Maxton Rear Splitter, like the one posted above. Only thing is that if I were to install it, I would have to paint the diffuser to match, and then match the side skirts as well. Will think about this one.

Looking to do the upgrades all at once, so it may take a month or so to come up with the money for everything. Once I do, I will post before and after photos.

93serprise

Ready to race!
Heres a back view of the splitter on my gti. I love it.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Dropped off my wheels to have my tires mounted. If all goes well I will have some pictures to put up tonight.