GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Mods (interior & exterior modifications)

Old 01-15-2018, 10:08 AM   #1
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 Candy White 3-Door GTi DSG
Anyone tried the mk7 replica headlight look?

I am debating on going to projector headlights soon. And as much as i like the mk6 style projector/led headlights the mk7 retrofit headlights are starting to grow on me.
I know a couple people on vortex did them but im not a member on there and the threads been dead for 6 months or so.

This is what im talking about...

and this (same) but close up.

Has anyone done this on here? Is the coding the same... all the listings say they are plug and play, which i dont doubt, but we also know that led headlights almost always need coding for them to function properly as DRL etc.

My main wondering is if the coding is the same as mk6... they didnt dive into the coding on the vortex thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
hahaha why am I your signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123 View Post
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
lilonespaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:37 AM   #2
sterkrazzy
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: mk6 gti
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108381
Mk6 CSG GTI 6sp | Stratified Tuned | Sachs SRE Stage 2 Clutch | DG SS | Raceseng Ashiko Heavy Shift Knob | Integrated Engineering CAI | CTS Turboback | GFB DV+ | Neuspeed RSe52's + Intercooler | Michelin PSS | 034 RSB + Upper Strut Mounts + Street Density Motor Mounts + Locking Collars | Eibach Pro-Street-S Coils | Energy Suspension Dogbone Insert | Fluidampr Pulley | Tyrolsport Stage 2 Hatch Brace | Stoptech Slotted Rotors
sterkrazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:43 AM   #3
CHerna
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 DBP GTI 2 Door M/T
I still don't know how I feel about the MK7 style lights. I want to like them, but something stops me from fully liking them. I think the quality with these is hit or miss. I've seen some in person that had moisture inside the assembly. The peasant halogens suck. I hope VX Tuning comes out with something and reasonably priced. Fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterkrazzy View Post
I love those, but can't justify $900
CHerna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:54 AM   #4
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

yeah i cant and wont spend 900 on those. lol im asking about the mk7 because they go for like 350-400 for replicas.
Quote:
Quote:
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:56 AM   #5
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHerna View Post
I still don't know how I feel about the MK7 style lights. I want to like them, but something stops me from fully liking them. I think the quality with these is hit or miss. I've seen some in person that had moisture inside the assembly. The peasant halogens suck. I hope VX Tuning comes out with something and reasonably priced. Fingers crossed.
Yeah at first when i saw them i thought WTF? but then the more i look im like hmmm.. those aint that bad.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-15-2018, 08:07 PM   #6
mk6'12gti
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 4dr Black Gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilonespaz View Post
yeah i cant and wont spend 900 on those. lol im asking about the mk7 because they go for like 350-400 for replicas.
The osrams are well worth it. I have them and no aftermarket lights compare to them or even come close. Those mk7 style ones made by sypder have the god awful wiring nightmare on the back of the headlights just asking for problems with that mess. Go look on ebay plenty of other mk7 style headlights out there without the wiring mess. They are made by Vland.
| Apr Ko4 v3.2 | Apr Stage 2 Dsg | Do88 Ic | IE Intake | Circuitwerks Turboback | Ecs Street Shield | R8 Coils | Awe S3 Style Top | Spulen Throttle Pipe | Uni Dv Relocate | 034 Street Density Mounts | 034 Pendulum Mount | Hpa 80A Puck | P3 Gauge | Turbosmart Dv | Osram Headlights | Oem Cherry Led Tails | Bc Br Extreme Lows | Urotuning Rear Sway Bar | Ecs Rear Subframe Brace | Golf R Dutchparts Splitter | CF Side Grilles |
mk6'12gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:14 PM   #7
riceburner
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
I like the look for the price but would be positive they have just as shitty projectors as my helix r20 reps. The light output is just awful. I'm going to go the osram route soon enough and not look back.

If you can deal with poor light output (like worse than stock halogens) then go for it though.
riceburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:51 PM   #8
DSGVW
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2012 CSG GTI DSG
Iíve had them for a year and a half now. 55w hid in them and aimed properly the output is unreal.

Havenít had one issue yet, I did zip tie the hell out of the wiring birds nest though.
DSGVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:41 AM   #9
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk6'12gti View Post
The osrams are well worth it. I have them and no aftermarket lights compare to them or even come close. Those mk7 style ones made by sypder have the god awful wiring nightmare on the back of the headlights just asking for problems with that mess. Go look on ebay plenty of other mk7 style headlights out there without the wiring mess. They are made by Vland.
Im sure they are but almost 2/3 more the price is hard to justify when the car will most likely be gone in a couple years. Yeah ive been looking at more VLAnds on ebay and stuff.. i wouldnt buy spyder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceburner View Post
I like the look for the price but would be positive they have just as shitty projectors as my helix r20 reps. The light output is just awful. I'm going to go the osram route soon enough and not look back.

If you can deal with poor light output (like worse than stock halogens) then go for it though.
Hmmm.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-16-2018, 09:42 AM   #10
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Quote:
Iíve had them for a year and a half now. 55w hid in them and aimed properly the output is unreal.

Havenít had one issue yet, I did zip tie the hell out of the wiring birds nest though.
Got any pics? i was thinking of using a 35w hid.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-16-2018, 09:52 AM   #11
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2014-M...ZaVnFV&vxp=mtr

This is what i found of the Vlands. doesnt look like a wiring mess although not a lot of photos.

The original ones i was looking at are branded venom or something

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2014-V...ZaMvJg&vxp=mtr

They have a lot of wiring going to the plug.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-16-2018, 12:15 PM   #12
riceburner
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
If anyone has picture proof of the light output (ime., Cutoff line against a wall) I would retract my statement. I'd love to see it.
riceburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:36 AM   #13
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

DSGVW and i have been talking via private message.
Here is a pic, riceburner, of the cutoff at dusk last night he sent me
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-18-2018, 10:10 AM   #14
DSGVW
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2012 CSG GTI DSG
I'll take a night shot if I remember this week - the cutoff and output on these lights is great, though I am cheating a bit with the 55w setup.
DSGVW is offline   Reply With Quote