GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 1 vs Stage 2 pro's and con's - worth it?

BlueE30

Ready to race!
I've searched this and I'm positive I've seen comparisons but can't seem to find them... I'm currently APR stage 1 with other mods listed, saved up a few bucks and have a 3" Beluga Racing catless downpipe in my garage.

Wondering from others if they feel going from stage 1 to stage 2 was worth it.

My thoughts are regardless if I go stage 1 or 2 I'm going to get a new intake - probably the CTS intake, new DV+ diverter valve and save or upgrade now the BFI engine, tranny and dogbone mounts... plus install I'm going to be kind of what I had allotted to spend on upgrades - $1000-$1500. My tune to stage 2 would be free, so just need to get the downpipe installed. I guess my concern is if the clutch goes I won't really have budgeted right now for another $2,000 for an upgraded clutch.

So what do you recommend? Doing the intake, diverter valve, engine/tranny/dogbone mount, staying stage 1 and saving for an inevitable clutch job or getting it all installed, hoping the clutch doesn't crap out and put away for an upgraded clutch? I can do then DV and intake install myself so mounts and DP install shouldn't be too bad. Again aiming to spend $1000-$1500 taxes and labour in.

Prices for parts in CAD:

Intake $300
DV $180
Mounts $550-$600 depending on exchange

Labour on mounts and DP install $300-$400

Puts me right in the $1400-$1500 range.

Thank you, sorry for posting a thread about this I'm sure it has been discussed, hopefully it can help others though! Also let me know if I'm missing any other supporting mods? Was thinking the TOP but saw not worth it really until K04.

mistaleungg

Go Kart Newbie
Installed my downpipe a week ago.
I am falling in love with my car again.

Oh and watch out for the speed limit.

BlueE30

Ready to race!
Stage 2 only a DP is actually needed.... I skipped 1 and just went 2

Thanks for commenting I've seen some of your threads and appreciate someone as knowledge as you with the mk6 platform chiming in... so you're thinking the supporting mods aren't necessary right away?

Maybe do the intake and DV with the DP and stage 2, put money away for a clutch and the mount upgrade in the nearish future? Can probably get the mounts all done soon....

BlueE30

Ready to race!

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
Stage 2 is worth it if you ask me. Its not a huge difference but I love the feeling/sound of the larger downpipe and the added top end power.

I would skip the DV+ all together. Everyone has their opinion but I personally think the OEM rev D feels way better. On my car at least.

Not sure what tools you have access to but I would install at least the downpipe on your own. Paying for labor sucks. I haven't looked into swapping out GTI motor mounts but I've changed them on other cars with little difficulty.

Are you set on buying a brand new CTS intake? Id look for something used.

whether its worth it or not comes down to how much you have vs. how much you spend getting there.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
Stage 2 is worth it if you ask me. Its not a huge difference but I love the feeling/sound of the larger downpipe and the added top end power.

I would skip the DV+ all together. Everyone has their opinion but I personally think the OEM rev D feels way better. On my car at least.

Not sure what tools you have access to but I would install at least the downpipe on your own. Paying for labor sucks. I haven't looked into swapping out GTI motor mounts but I've changed them on other cars with little difficulty.

Are you set on buying a brand new CTS intake? Id look for something used.

whether its worth it or not comes down to how much you have vs. how much you spend getting there.
I agree. If you're already stage 1 and the OEM clutch isn't slipping stage 2 might make it start. Also R8 red top coil pack if you haven't already. I think stage 2 wants your plugs gapped differently. I'd double check that not 100% on that. Mounts are an easy install look on YouTube if you're comfortable with the video do it yourself.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
If you're really considering Stage 2, automatically count on needing a new clutch

It's pointless if you do add the extra power to use it with the OEM clutch, that WILL slip, and then it's all useless if it doesn't get to the ground

I'd stick with a OEM "D" DV....then buy a clutch & downpipe and go Stage 2, with your budget right now.
Add a intake later on, if you wish, and/or other little supporting mods later on.

And if you ever get the itch for more power, you could go K04 and you know you won't need a new clutch for that (if you already have it)

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
I recommend APR's stage 1+ tune. I went from stage 1+ to stage 2 and it wasn't worth it.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

FriggenT1

Banned
Thanks for commenting I've seen some of your threads and appreciate someone as knowledge as you with the mk6 platform chiming in... so you're thinking the supporting mods aren't necessary right away?

Maybe do the intake and DV with the DP and stage 2, put money away for a clutch and the mount upgrade in the nearish future? Can probably get the mounts all done soon....

Honestly, I would recommend taking some of the money a and doing what many have said. If you're manual, you'll need a clutch, however, I would drop APR and go with Alex @ stratified for your tuning. They will be able to more safely extract power out of your set up than a stage 2 OTS tune. The VW world has been many years too slow on many custom tuning solutions, but thery are here now, and custom e-tunes Wil be/are the future. Plus tune revisions will be much easier.

I'll also state that I like mechanical parts over plastic, so getting rid of weak points imo is a good idea...ie. instead of the DV+, I would get a turbosmart plumb back DV. It's all mechanical, and is not run by the ecu, only by vacuum. Many will argue it's speed vs the REV D, but it's marginal, and ive seen no Ill effects from it on my tune.

I'd also get a CC (unless I missed that you have one) and do a VTA (vent to atmosphere)....you just don't need all of that shit from your motor going in circles and imo is a piss poor design with cheap, plastic, pos connections, and more failure points. Awe s3 style top (when you swap intercoolers), and upgraded actual metal TB pipe, as the OEM (again...junk plastic) can and does crack or leak. Brand is up to you, but check reviews and just buy it used. Minimize failure points...and i dont care how much castrol pays vw to say THEIR oil is the only one that works. Get OEM filters and use rotella T6, it's better, it lasts longer and there's plenty of oil analysis to prove it's ability to stand up to heat.

Last edited:

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
$1400 CAD being ~$1100 USD ?

Sorry, Stage 2 is not worth that money, especially if that means you'll need to add a clutch on top of that.

Dans GTI

Ready to race!

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
I've searched this and I'm positive I've seen comparisons but can't seem to find them... I'm currently APR stage 1 with other mods listed, saved up a few bucks and have a 3" Beluga Racing catless downpipe in my garage.

Wondering from others if they feel going from stage 1 to stage 2 was worth it.

My thoughts are regardless if I go stage 1 or 2 I'm going to get a new intake - probably the CTS intake, new DV+ diverter valve and save or upgrade now the BFI engine, tranny and dogbone mounts... plus install I'm going to be kind of what I had allotted to spend on upgrades - $1000-$1500. My tune to stage 2 would be free, so just need to get the downpipe installed. I guess my concern is if the clutch goes I won't really have budgeted right now for another $2,000 for an upgraded clutch.

So what do you recommend? Doing the intake, diverter valve, engine/tranny/dogbone mount, staying stage 1 and saving for an inevitable clutch job or getting it all installed, hoping the clutch doesn't crap out and put away for an upgraded clutch? I can do then DV and intake install myself so mounts and DP install shouldn't be too bad. Again aiming to spend $1000-$1500 taxes and labour in.

Prices for parts in CAD:

Intake $300
DV $180
Mounts $550-$600 depending on exchange

Labour on mounts and DP install $300-$400

Puts me right in the $1400-$1500 range.

Thank you, sorry for posting a thread about this I'm sure it has been discussed, hopefully it can help others though! Also let me know if I'm missing any other supporting mods? Was thinking the TOP but saw not worth it really until K04.

APR has 2 different stage 1 tunes.

The regular Stage 1 tune rated for 309tq/253hp 91 Octane
and
APR stage 1 with intake tune rated for 312tq/257hp 91 Octane.

Difference is minimal but its there.

Why do you need new mounts? Realistically OEM mounts are perfectly fine, however i do recommend upgrading your dog bone mount if you haven't done it yet.

The power difference between stage 1 and 2 is not that noticeable, at least it wasn't for me, and in my opinion its not worth it.

Your clutch may be completely fine when going stage 2, but its a gamble.