GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2010 Volkswagen Golf R Series Turbo Coming to America

J0kER

:iono::mad0259: from a six, back to a four. wtf for! and i still smell asian influence. why must vw loose their taste in euro fashion/stylin.:cry:

Snoopy1

Ready to race!
Co2 output meens high tax in alot of countries. The V6 is not good for this and also the weight has a big effect on handling its why Audi used this engine in the S3 rather than the V6. Infact every europeen manufacturer is going the small force inducted route because of the C02 tax laws. Alfa known for there fantastic V6 have even gone to a 240bhp 1.8 turbo.
There is NO 'asian influence' as you put it, its europe law on average Co2 outputs from motorcompanys that are driving them to look at other way of doing it. You just have to look at the rest of the golf range for one, most are now 1.4 forced induction units rather than larger cc engines. The remaining non forced induction units will be replaced by a new range of 1.2 forced induction unitscoming soon.
The other advantage of this is manufacturers can set them up to givea small cc engine similar bhp to its larger cc previous unit but more importantly more torque at lower revs than the unit it replaces making it more drivable in the real world.

Last edited:

JimmyT1

Passed Driver's Ed
^^^^ what he said, some states in the USA want to pattern their car tax structure like this to force older shit boxes off the road.... plus with CAFE going up, up, up... it makes sense to get more MPG, even for limited run cars

J0kER

Co2 output meens high tax in alot of countries. The V6 is not good for this and also the weight has a big effect on handling its why Audi used this engine in the S3 rather than the V6. Infact every europeen manufacturer is going the small force inducted route because of the C02 tax laws. Alfa known for there fantastic V6 have even gone to a 240bhp 1.8 turbo.
There is NO 'asian influence' as you put it, its europe law on average Co2 outputs from motorcompanys that are driving them to look at other way of doing it. You just have to look at the rest of the golf range for one, most are now 1.4 forced induction units rather than larger cc engines. The remaining non forced induction units will be replaced by a new range of 1.2 forced induction unitscoming soon.
The other advantage of this is manufacturers can set them up to givea small cc engine similar bhp to its larger cc previous unit but more importantly more torque at lower revs than the unit it replaces making it more drivable in the real world.
ok,i see a point! as far as asian influence goes...i meant looks.

Snoopy1

Ready to race!
Looks more french stolen from the renault 192 at the rear to me rather than asian. Front i can see an Opel europeen look to the lights and a mk3,4 golf look to the grill and bumper. Its a design team with walta de silva who does not go for sporty looks anymore. Its just an artist impression i wait to see the rear myself i expect more like the audi TTS as said above by GTI2007 or the scirocco studie R Rather than the look of the artist impression in the original post.

Last edited:

J0kER

like that much better.french never crossed my mind but totally see it....i hope the front stays more early mk3, like u said.

JimmyT1

Passed Driver's Ed
I am hoping that the interior of the car is more distinctive when compared to the rank and file GTI. More distinctive seats on the US version would go a long way in to making a more noticeable difference between the R and the GTI.

Purie

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm loving all of it and I'm crossing my fingers for those seats, best seats imo but have doubts they'll make it to America. I was thinking that the R version would come out 4 years down the road like the last 2 did but the sooner the better. I'm still sticking to my GTI ($25k) < A3 ($30) < R20 ($38) < S3 ($42) theory of pricing, options and availability. Either way I'm still really excited for all these models and it will be a good time for the hot hatch.

csmkv

Speeder
Woooooo hoooooooo!!!!

It is just too exciting!!! too exciting!!! let's scream!!!! :SCREAMING:

Yeah!!!!!!!

Well, as long as it's not more than 3.5k, Im in it.... :paddle::paddle:

Let's wait for it! :wosschilder980:

p.s. I actually just got this news from Autoblog, and tried to come here to post a new thread to let anybody know! Well, it seems there are always some fans of GTI that's more eligible than me to be called as a "GTI fans".. hah...

Cheers for this news, as long as you are as excited as me now! :thumbup:

csmkv

Speeder
well... seems 3.5k is not very possible...

anyway, i;ll beat the sh.t out of myself to make money to get one of these...

before I could afford a porsche ;-]

Fun:Turbo

Old School Junglist
omg omg omg.. i have a down payment ready when they start asking..

MK5 GTI modding stops now..

GTI2007

Some more info of this car from Autoexpress.co.uk:

The ultimate Golf is here! And this time, the flagship hot hatchback has more power and an all-new badge to boot.

The replacement for the R32 is being referred to within VW as the R-Series Turbo, but it’s likely to be called the R20T, hinting at its engine capacity. And our exclusive pictures show how the most powerful Golf ever will look when it eclipses the GTI at the top of the range.

VW is ditching the R32 name, along with the 3.2-litre V6 that’s powered the previous two cars, Auto Express has learned. In its place will be a tuned version of the GTI’s four-cylinder 2.0-litre turbocharged engine.

A bigger turbo, as well as tweaks to the ECU, will ensure the car has a power output of around 270bhp – that’s more than 20bhp above the outgoing V6. What’s more, as the unit is lighter, the R20T should weigh roughly the same as the GTI.

But with all that extra power on tap, it will deliver scintillating pace, with the 0-60mph sprint arriving in about five seconds. That’s a full second-and-a-half quicker than the MkV R32, and only a few tenths shy of BMW’s V8-engined M3. Top speed will be limited to 155mph.

The same engine will power an R20T version of the Scirocco. This was previewed by the Studie R concept at Italy’s Bologna Motor Show last year.

Although a VW spokesman refused to confirm whether the Golf would be driven by the front or all four wheels, the latter is more likely – as on the heavier and thirstier R32. This will help to put all that power on to the tarmac, as well as provide high levels of grip.

The engine will channel its power through a choice of a six-speed manual gearbox or VW’s DSG dual-clutch set-up. And as the unit is smaller and lighter, the R20T will offer significant improvements in fuel economy and emit less CO2 than the car it replaces.

VW’s designers have taken the understated looks of the R32 to the next level. A deep front spoiler with integrated LED headlights – a styling cue borrowed from sister company Audi – takes inspiration from the Concept BlueSport seen at January’s Detroit exhibition, while flared wheelarches, wider tyres and lowered suspension provide further clues to its potential.

At the rear, in true R-series style, twin pipes exit close to the centre-line of the car. Plus, a ‘sound-optimised’ exhaust system should ensure the R20T delivers noise to match its looks. A roof spoiler and underbody diffuser both help to increase downforce and keep the car planted at high speeds, too.

Reports suggest that the R20T will make its public debut at the Nürburgring 24-hour race in Germany in May, before going on sale in UK showrooms early next year. Prices will start from around £25,000 for the three-door, with the five-door costing £2,000 more – pitching the VW head-to-head with the Ford Focus RS and Subaru Impreza STi.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/a...ultimate_golfs_ready_to_turn_up_the_heat.html