GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Well a chip TDI be as fun as a Stock GTI

PouncingPanzer

I JUST had my 2012 TDI manual "chipped" Saturday morning. I got a Stage 1 Unitronic. At first, I was skeptical the initial drive cycle reveiled to me nothing but poor fuel economy and no improvment ot turbo lag or throttle response. But then, after a couple stops, and about 100 miles or so. Something came to life. It dawned on me that after a reflash my fuel trims probably had no idea what planet they were on and it just took awhile for everything to fall into place. So far, i'm pretty happy with the upgrade. Best way I can descride it to you it that every gear now feels like the one below it used too. Especially 3-6th. 6th gear on the freeway is now far more responsive while simply cruising nad passing is worry free, and 3rd gear when merging is now awesome and makes me smile everytime now. Compared to a GTI, it will probably do about just as well in your 60-80mph window if your already spooled up. But, from what I can tell once you get past 4000rpm, even the stage 1 is still kinda blah. But, that is the nature of the beast and no stage 1 will change that. But, at the same time I rarely find myself speeding above 80 anymore after I got a twice over ticket this spring before I even got the tune haha. Also, my fuel economy seems to be at least the same as before. Still a little heavy footed at this point though that too may improve. Just ask yourselves this. Do you plan on keeping the car for another 2 years? If the answer is yes, I say do it. I waited to drive out of powertain first myself but now i'm kicking myself in the butt for not doing it sooner.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
So... what are the DPF/EGR implications and how about that already fubared HPFP that now has an 120k warranty if you don't fuck with it...

Nah I'll keep it stock. If you want to go "fast" you get a GTI.

PouncingPanzer

So... what are the DPF/EGR implications and how about that already fubared HPFP that now has an 120k warranty if you don't fuck with it...

Nah I'll keep it stock. If you want to go "fast" you get a GTI.
Already had my car scanned using ODIS and it didn't even hicup to the slightest degree that my car was tuned. Just don't do a software update and the dealer won't even notice. Only time a stage 1 tune interfears with a warrenty item is if the problem is itself software. Such as a fried ECM or other modules that will need coding if replaced. Also, to get the HPFP replaced under the extension you only need to have a passing fuel sample that contains nothing but low sulfer diesel. If your fuel sample passes, congragulations your getting a HPFP. No coding or software update is involved with the replacing of the HPFP just a fuel system purge test plan. As for the eventually gonna fail DPF, yes if aftermarket software is found it would probably void said coverage til 80k. Unless you have software ODIS dosen't detect then once again, getting more free parts. It's funny that a stage 1 tune the goes unnoticed won't complicate any warrenty coverage, but a cold air intake will.

jedimk6bgp

Get ride of unitronc!I There tune is nothing but problems! When your check engine light comes on cause youve fucked your dpf dont say i didnt warn you! They overboost a stock exhuast system with massive amonts of fuel and air that no stock dpf is capable of handling!

Do it right or dont do it at all!! So after you save money again!! I recommend Malone tunning 10000% which ever tune you choose of his you will be alot more happy with then any rival tuner

If you dont believe me ill take you for a ride in my tuned stage 2 :)

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
If you dont believe me ill take you for a ride in my tuned stage 2 :)

I despise APR personally; but there are already several stories on here of APR stage I cars beating Malone stage II cars...

Malone is great from what I've heard; but he is definitely not the only quality tuner in town.

Kerma, Rocketchip, Revo etc are all safe, proven tunes on these cars as well.

jedimk6bgp

I despise APR personally; but there are already several stories on here of APR stage I cars beating Malone stage II cars...

Malone is great from what I've heard; but he is definitely not the only quality tuner in town.

Kerma, Rocketchip, Revo etc are all safe, proven tunes on these cars as well.

Apr only has one tune avalible malone has 4 plus the tune for the 170 swap
Ive ran against a apr tuned tdi and a unitronic tdi both golfs and both with that dsg tranny and I walk from them with my manual

Never heard of kerma, or rocketchip though

Yukon

Passed Driver's Ed
If you are going to tune a TDI, go with either Malone or Rocketchip. Don't bother with any others...