GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HELP!!!!!! 034 Hockeypuck Insert Install

jkells

Ready to race!
I need help on getting this install done finally. First off, 034 is an amazing replacement for the OEM hockeypuck for the dogbone mount. It will DEFINITELY stiffen everything up and create very minimal movement. Let me go over a few problems however.

1. When removing OEM hockeypuck, it is impossible to remove without destroying it entirely.
2. Maybe 034 did this on purpose, or it wasn't machined correctly but the hockeypuck was about 0.2 inches bigger in diameter than the insert on the subframe. The insert hole is around 3.521 inches in diameter and the hockeypuck I received was 3.719 inches in diameter, obviously frustrated. So after breaking out the sander, I was able to get it down to 3.53 inches exactly on the top and bottom hockeypuck (so it will stay stiff). Which ultimately lead to the next problem.
4. The top and bottom hockeypucks when inserting went in slightly crooked and now the dog bone won't insert all the way. (See pictures). :mad:

Suggestions? I would really like to avoid dropping the subframe for this endeavor, however I would like suggestions for fixing this with and without dropping the subframe.

PLEASE HELP!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

UPDATE:
So after straightening out the hockeypuck inserts, the pendulum mount wouldn't fully align inside the inserts to bolt if it was bolted to the transmission. Reached out to 034 Motorosports and they suggested a rather simple fix (still don't understand how it came to this though). Attached the Pendulum Mount inside the hockeypucks and torque down the bolt and then get an alignment done to move the subframe forward so it will align with the transmission and allow for the pendulum mount to bolt to all three locations.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-04-13-05-50-22 (2).png
    Screenshot_2017-04-13-05-50-22 (2).png
    269.5 KB · Views: 219
  • Screenshot_2017-04-12-19-56-21 (1).png
    Screenshot_2017-04-12-19-56-21 (1).png
    318.1 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah, I had to take the dremel to mine to get them installed, too. I don't know why they made them like that; I guess they're meant to be pressed in.

You might be able to tap it into place with a hammer and punch or prybar.

jkells

Ready to race!
Yeah, I tried a hammer and a ratchet extension (don't know where my punch went) but it isn't budging really. That's why it is kind of beat up. And I barely had room so I don't think a prybar will get in there. Did you have to drop the subframe or were you lucky to get it lined up the first time? And how does it drive with that new hockeypuck installed? I imagine way better over OEM. I have all my mounts installed besides this one.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Youre supposed to drop the subframe and press the mounts in... thats why its so difficult for you to do it.

jkells

Ready to race!
Trying to avoid dropping the subframe because I really don't enjoy spending extra money to get an alignment (even though it isn't ALWAYS necessary, just a precaution).

So your suggestion is to drop the subframe and try and re-align the hockeypucks?

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
If tapping it didn't work, it looks like you're gonna have to drop it. But I don't know how you're going to get it out without destroying the mount.

Honestly, I'd recommend replacing the upper mount with the OEM puck; these mounts together cause a hell of a lot of vibration, and it's really just the lower mount that prevents movement. I'm planning to drop my subframe again just so I can go back to the stock upper.

jkells

Ready to race!
looks like I will have to hit up VW for a stock upper. Both were destroyed in the process of removal. I need to just align it so I can reinstall the dogbone so I can actually drive her.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Trying to avoid dropping the subframe because I really don't enjoy spending extra money to get an alignment (even though it isn't ALWAYS necessary, just a precaution).

So your suggestion is to drop the subframe and try and re-align the hockeypucks?
Yes my suggestion is to install them the way you are supposed to install them. If you follow their instructions they pulled the sub-frame.. used a press to press the old mounts out and pressed in the new mounts. They are supposed to be tight so they dont move hence the need for a press.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
I only did the lower puck.... and I made damn sure it was aligned before putting it in, and I lub the crap out of it so that I can do some fine adjustment if its not align...I gave up on the upper puck because I dont want more nvh....