GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Center dash console trim replacement effort rating?

Uberryan

Banned
Hey guys

I have a very badly degrading/failing/peeling soft touch center console trim as outlined in the picture that needs to be replaced. How difficult would this be?

I recall someone saying almost all of the dash needs to come out, and I'm working on a quote from the dealer, but if it's not terribly difficult, I might try it myself.

Moreover, does anyone have a DIY for getting to this part and pulling it, by chance?

I believe the part number on the GTI is 5K0863680B 81X

nafljhy

Go Kart Champion
it's not that difficult, it's almost similar to installing the euro cup holder. don't have a diy on hand though. sorry :(

TALON AE

Ready to race!
That piece is soft touch in your car? Like the window sills? I could swear mine is hard plastic. Hmmm, wonder if they added a soft touch coating in later model years...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uberryan

Banned
That piece is soft touch in your car? Like the window sills? I could swear mine is hard plastic. Hmmm, wonder if they added a soft touch coating in later model years...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No idea, but it's falling apart like soft touch. Spongy and almost like decomposing rubber or plastic, it's becoming a sticky goo substance. I park outside of course, but there's no magnifying glass pointed at that part, so I have no idea why this is happening besides bad choice of material.

Uberryan

Banned
According to one euro cupholder install guide I found, it's not at all bad. Assuming you can access these bits. Might hear out the dealer quote while they're replacing my long block and if it's higher than $100, I'll do it myself.

one8toh8

Passed Driver's Ed
I know this is some what of an old thread but I'm having the same issue with the same piece. Mine is degrading on the left side where my right knee sits during driving and my pants stick to it. Fortunately it is not staining any of my pants yet but it is super annoying. How much did the dealer quote you to fix this? Did you DIY or did you have them fix it?

Chockomon

I know this is some what of an old thread but I'm having the same issue with the same piece. Mine is degrading on the left side where my right knee sits during driving and my pants stick to it. Fortunately it is not staining any of my pants yet but it is super annoying. How much did the dealer quote you to fix this? Did you DIY or did you have them fix it?

Just do it yourself - should take about 20 minutes

Step 1 - remove trim around radio (no need to remove radio)
Step 2 - remove trim around HVAC controls
Step 3 - remove two bolts for the peeling center console (top left and right)
Step 4 - remove shifter surround (pull up)
Step 5 - remove 2 torx screws holding center change holder tray
Step 6 - disconnect ECS button and cigarette lighter plugs and remove center change holder
step 7 - remove 2 torx screws on the sides where the change holder was (this is probably the hardest part)
step 8 - pull center console towards back of car and it should pop out

Installation is reverse of removal :)

Tony48

Go Kart Champion

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
I'm now finding that I have to do this again myself. I replaced mine back in 2018. I asked the dealer a long time ago about cost of replacement and they quoted $230 for the part and $200 for install. I ended up finding a ABS plastic replacement on ebay which is likely what I'll swap in there. Tired of this absolute garbage soft touch on trim pieces.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
I'm now finding that I have to do this again myself. I replaced mine back in 2018. I asked the dealer a long time ago about cost of replacement and they quoted $230 for the part and $200 for install. I ended up finding a ABS plastic replacement on ebay which is likely what I'll swap in there. Tired of this absolute garbage soft touch on trim pieces.
Worn out a second time? Are you using some strong cleaner on it? My 2014 is still strong. I’ve done euro cupholder, and loads of stereo work, so these pieces have been handled a lot and besides the broken clips on on the bevel and center vents all of the textures/finishes are still intact.

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
Worn out a second time? Are you using some strong cleaner on it? My 2014 is still strong. I’ve done euro cupholder, and loads of stereo work, so these pieces have been handled a lot and besides the broken clips on on the bevel and center vents all of the textures/finishes are still intact.
Nah nothing but soap and water, but I purchased my last one used. I'll never do that again. The same is occurring to my coolant overflow tank. It's beginning to age and form micro-fissures in the trash plastic so that will also need to be replaced as well... having done so with a used part back in 2018.