GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Weight + Corner Balance

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
- I've had my PSS10s for 3 years now and so far so good. I'm not too sure what you mean by dialed in? I have tracked on them for 12 times

- I corner balanced my car at my friend's house. We have the scale and we have a fairly leveled surface. We used lasers to double check each corner to see how much of a height delta per side was and it was marginal like 1/4 of an inch on one corner. We also made sliding plates so the car actually sits normally on the scale.

Check out my track vids if you want. This one was the track day after i got my car corner balanced. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg-XAbFqNkA

Love the Video....Love that Elevation Change nice:thumbsup:

Good Job...

Stay away from power mods until you get more comfortable on track...with your track experience then build power...my advice.

Your doing very well...your giving me hope I will mod my car and not sell it.:thumbsup:

Jeff

who128

Ready to race!
Just "Dial In" is just making sure your sitting proper is all. Nothing fancy. I have seen cars off by a bit and they dont even know it. On my Evo's I did stuff myself thinking it was golden, took it to a pro and and found it was off a frickin mile.

Chassis tuning really is an art form. On FWD with High HP especially a proper chassis tune can make a huge difference.

Stock Performance can benefit as well. Made a HUGE difference in my Evo's even stock.

I am just having a hard time finding folks that actually know what they are doing to help me with mods IF I decide to go down that path. Im still stock after 5 yrs and no track time on this car at all.

Was VERY close to going with my Sister to a Street Legal AutoX session in San Diego last week, but running OEM brake pads and A/S tires? Im too competitive to run this car like that haha. Need at least some good rubber before I make my first attempt in my GTI. Qualcomm Stadium is getting demolished soon so not sure where SCCA will set up next. Hopefully not too far away...

I still have Chuckawalla Raceway not too far away, but its not for AutoX though.

Good Luck with your track time. :thumbsup:

Jeff

Oh i see, yeah i pretty much try to get the car height even all around with a slight rake.

Honestly, I never liked AutoX because you can't really push your car to the limit to find the flaws. There are pros and cons of AutoX, but its just not my go to drink.

who128

Ready to race!
Love the Video....Love that Elevation Change nice:thumbsup:

Good Job...

Stay away from power mods until you get more comfortable on track...with your track experience then build power...my advice.

Your doing very well...your giving me hope I will mod my car and not sell it.:thumbsup:

Jeff

I'm pretty much at the limit of my car already. I'm already slowly picking up power mods, but havn't installed yet.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Oh i see, yeah i pretty much try to get the car height even all around with a slight rake.

Honestly, I never liked AutoX because you can't really push your car to the limit to find the flaws. There are pros and cons of AutoX, but its just not my go to drink.

I understand what your saying, but tracking is best taking in baby steps. Maybe I did it too gradually. I AutoX'd for a while to actually get driving dynamics down.

On my past cars, the car itself was FAR more capable than I ever was. That is for sure. I learned allot. Got SCARED allot and had tons of fun.

I have been there done that, things are different for me now, but I always appreciate seeing people track cars and of course I love the cars themselves.

I will be following your posts:thumbsup:

Jeff

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Here's a vid recently at Grattan in Belding MI. Really fun track with a lot of blind turns and elevation changes. Got held up by one of these pesky "fast cars" that wouldn't let me around him. This club was passing by point by only.

As far as chassis and suspension. I certainly hope I'm doing it right. This next season is going to be a game changer for me.

Eibach multipro R2 Coilovers
Vorschlag Camber plates
H&R 24mm Rear Sway Bar
H&R 26mm Front Sway Bar
Tyrolsport Deadset Kit
Powerflex Caster Kit
Whiteline Front Endlinks
Unibrace UB
Passat Control Arms
Super Pro Front Control Arm Bushings
KMD Tuning Lower Front Subframe Brace
034 Rear Endlinks
Eurosport X Brace
Tyrolsport Rear Deadset Kit
Unibrace RB
KMD Tuning Front control arm brace
Powerflex black series inner and outer upper control arm bushings
Powerflex black series inner and outer lower control arm bushings
Powerflex black series inner and outer toe arm bushings
Powerflex black series rear traling arm bushings

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Here's a vid recently at Grattan in Belding MI. Really fun track with a lot of blind turns and elevation changes. Got held up by one of these pesky "fast cars" that wouldn't let me around him. This club was passing by point by only.

As far as chassis and suspension. I certainly hope I'm doing it right. This next season is going to be a game changer for me.

Vorschlag Camber plates
H&R 24mm Rear Sway Bar
H&R 26mm Front Sway Bar
Tyrolsport Deadset Kit
Powerflex Caster Kit
Whiteline Front Endlinks
Unibrace UB
Passat Control Arms
034 Rear Endlinks
Eurosport X Brace
Unibrace RB

Jay You have an impressive Build overall, much respect. As for the chassis tuning, its all up to you, your driving if you like it, its doing what you want? Then you made the right choices.

For me? I just didn't want to do too much trial and error in my day. I asked allot of questions and went to the folks that raced on a level WWAAYY beyond my own.

I used their mistakes and experiences to save me money. haha.

Again, one set up for one car, may not work for one person due to drivers style but to just have an overall well balanced car is key.

Seems these MK6's have a good chassis to begin with. Which is awesome.

You guys seem to be doing a very good job at figuring it out yourselves. Again, Much Respect:thumbsup:

Jeff

jay745

Jay You have an impressive Build overall, much respect. As for the chassis tuning, its all up to you, your driving if you like it, its doing what you want? Then you made the right choices.

For me? I just didn't want to do too much trial and error in my day. I asked allot of questions and went to the folks that raced on a level WWAAYY beyond my own.

I used their mistakes and experiences to save me money. haha.

Again, one set up for one car, may not work for one person due to drivers style but to just have an overall well balanced car is key.

Seems these MK6's have a good chassis to begin with. Which is awesome.

You guys seem to be doing a very good job at figuring it out yourselves. Again, Much Respect:thumbsup:

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I would love to talk to the same people who gave you advice. I'm looking for some myself when it comes to alignment specs. There's so much varying info out there, I tried asking in the midwest vw tracking group on facebook and got way too much conflicting info. Everyone becomes experts all of the sudden and it's hard to discern actual advice from people just repeating something they heard yadda yadda. I really don't want to undergo multiple alignments after each track day but I don't think I'm going to have much of a choice.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
[emoji38] I guess so. Are you grown or are you still growing? Serious question not trying to be an asshole. Also, how the fuck do you defend yourself?
Is this a legit question? Everyone knows Chinamen Kung Fu.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

who128

Ready to race!
Thanks Jeff. I would love to talk to the same people who gave you advice. I'm looking for some myself when it comes to alignment specs. There's so much varying info out there, I tried asking in the midwest vw tracking group on facebook and got way too much conflicting info. Everyone becomes experts all of the sudden and it's hard to discern actual advice from people just repeating something they heard yadda yadda. I really don't want to undergo multiple alignments after each track day but I don't think I'm going to have much of a choice.

Camber: -2.8 front / -1.8 Rear
Toe: 0 all around

ebuuz

Go Kart Newbie
Just bought some coilovers from a forum member.. Will have to install and corner balance them soon!

jay745

Camber: -2.8 front / -1.8 Rear
Toe: 0 all around

Talk to me more about this, I'm fairly new to the custom alignment game. People are telling me to toe in the rear, I don't really want to shred my tires. I got 11 days out of the tires I ran last season and it would be awesome to not sacrifice the longevity much which is leaning me towards 0 toe.

who128

Ready to race!
Talk to me more about this, I'm fairly new to the custom alignment game. People are telling me to toe in the rear, I don't really want to shred my tires. I got 11 days out of the tires I ran last season and it would be awesome to not sacrifice the longevity much which is leaning me towards 0 toe.

The reason why ppl want a toe in, in the rear is because they want stability in the turns. Rear wheel drive cars make sense to have slight toe in so they can control the car if it slides. NEVER Toe out.

For FWD cars you should try to have 0 toe so you can have the car rotate.

This is a great guide if you're still tryna figure out if you want understeer or oversteer.

zef

Drag Racing Champion

Vorschlag Camber plates
H&R 24mm Rear Sway Bar
H&R 26mm Front Sway Bar
Tyrolsport Deadset Kit
Powerflex Caster Kit
Whiteline Front Endlinks
Unibrace UB
Passat Control Arms
034 Rear Endlinks
Eurosport X Brace
Unibrace RB

Jay, what are you using for tires in this video?

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie

Jay,

Just curious if you have tried calling APR for advice? My GTI is bone stock, yours is set up pretty decent. APR does race their VW's, maybe they can give you some insight, then you can share with us?

So difficult to find people that actually know what they are doing. I'm telling you Robi-Spec is the MAN!! but he does things kinda on the downlow and not really a big company. Just a guy and his tools, and he travels around doing alignments for race teams and such.

In the Evo community there were a couple of good places, but for VW I walk in and they say "dont touch Euro cars" and I am like OK.

Robi Though did. I will see if I can track him down.

Jeff