GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any recent GTI owners wishing they waited for the MK7 US release?

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Look at all the issues the 2010 GTIs have compared to the 2013s…. I would never get the first gen of a new car. Too many issues that may come up that will eventually get fixed a couple years later. Plus at that point there should be a lot more modding options.

That's where leasing comes in. :thumbsup:

Will the MK7 still be the first Gen., when we get it?
It'll have been out in Europe for quite a while by the time we see it.

'Course, it'll be the first run off of the Puebla plant which may create it's own problems...

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Tune before I buy?

actually thats not a bad idea, maybe you can call up local apr dealer and say hey look i havent bought my gti yet but if i pay for the tune and labor now, when i buy the gti can i bring it in for your sale price that you are currently offering? Then you can get a fully loaded ecu and save $600 now.

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
I know consumer reports is lame but reliability wise, the 2010 gti used to be recommended and had average overall reliability but has since dropped to below average reliability and is no longer recommended. The newer ones have had plenty of problems. Mine has had none of the problems that are supposedly so common

Obviously not everyone will have problems with their cars but it's just common sense that later model cars should have less problems. For example my 13' GTI came with all the updated parts that are known to fail on the car. Now I know not everyone will have an issue and you guys get extended warranties on those parts but I won't have to go through the trouble of getting mine replaced (fingers crossed hahahha). I am sure there are 10' GTIs that have never been in the shop, but I also bet on average earlier model cars will have more issues than later model cars.

That's where leasing comes in. :thumbsup:

Will the MK7 still be the first Gen., when we get it?
It'll have been out in Europe for quite a while by the time we see it.

'Course, it'll be the first run off of the Puebla plant which may create it's own problems...

Ya, it sucks though because I could never lease a car unless it was a weekend car. I have to travel for work and the amount of miles I put on the car would make leasing way more expensive for me.

McQueen77

Banned
Obviously not everyone will have problems with their cars but it's just common sense that later model cars should have less problems. For example my 13' GTI came with all the updated parts that are known to fail on the car. Now I know not everyone will have an issue and you guys get extended warranties on those parts but I won't have to go through the trouble of getting mine replaced (fingers crossed hahahha). I am sure there are 10' GTIs that have never been in the shop, but I also bet on average earlier model cars will have more issues than later model cars.

Ya, it sucks though because I could never lease a car unless it was a weekend car. I have to travel for work and the amount of miles I put on the car would make leasing way more expensive for me.

personally id rather have a pre 2013 because it now comes with the 100k warranty on injector or intake manifold failure.

Boomers

Ready to race!
push button start is the shit. Call me old fashioned, I'm still amazed at the fact of being able to unlock my car and start the engine with a push of a button WITHOUT my keys ever leaving my pocket. dat tech be so cray these days mang

Same here, i've owned close to 30 cars and this is the first I've had with kessy. There's no going back now, this car spoiled me.

jsh1120

Ready to race!
When I purchased my 2013 Autobahn a few months ago the best information available was that the MK7 would be "released" in the US "by the end of the second quarter of 2014." Such a vague release date typically means "sometime in the third quarter" before I'd see one on the dealer lot. And with pent up demand, that probably meant I'd wait until 4th quarter before I could get what I wanted. Bottom line is that it would be a 12-18 month wait for a car probably at MSRP+.

Alternatively, I could have an Autobahn in the color I wanted at $3K under MSRP. And though I couldn't care less where it's built, I suspected that resale would probably hold up a bit better for the "last German GTI."

So, no, I don't regret getting an MK6. If the MK7 lives up to the hype I may consider swapping for a new one in a couple of years and take the depreciation hit but in the meantime I'll have a car I love to drive.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Buying new you're getting screwed....especially in the first year of any and all new platforms. My wife's 2008 lancer had the throttle completely shit out while trying to merge in-front of a semi. Turns out something in the electronics overheated and burned through some wires. The car was bought within 2 weeks of its release, and the problem didn't arise till nearly a year later. Mitsubishi recalled this problem but what if she had gotten seriously hurt. As far as new car buyers go, i consider them "live and learn" customers. They take the risk of potentially dangerous problems with their cars, covered by warranty or not....an unknown variable in any car model is enough for me to steer aware from new car production. Newly remodeled, new platform, new plant in a new country...thats more than enough for me to have new worries. Ill gladly wait 2-3 years before buying an mk7. Love the GTI history, but if fsi to tsi has shown us anything...only time will tell what mk7 will be in terms of reliability and performance.

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
Buying new you're getting screwed....especially in the first year of any and all new platforms. My wife's 2008 lancer had the throttle completely shit out while trying to merge in-front of a semi. Turns out something in the electronics overheated and burned through some wires. The car was bought within 2 weeks of its release, and the problem didn't arise till nearly a year later. Mitsubishi recalled this problem but what if she had gotten seriously hurt. As far as new car buyers go, i consider them "live and learn" customers. They take the risk of potentially dangerous problems with their cars, covered by warranty or not....an unknown variable in any car model is enough for me to steer aware from new car production. Newly remodeled, new platform, new plant in a new country...thats more than enough for me to have new worries. Ill gladly wait 2-3 years before buying an mk7. Love the GTI history, but if fsi to tsi has shown us anything...only time will tell what mk7 will be in terms of reliability and performance.

:thumbsup:

silvermouse5150

I love the MKVII!
But I agree w/ previous posts - the 1st year version has all the bugs and glitches, the 2nd year version has the leftover bugs and glitches, then the 3rd year, etc, etc, etc.

Also, whichever model you purchase, the next version, 99% of the time will be better.
So, if you get the MKVII, you'll regret not waiting for the MKVIII.

I love my car! I couldnt wait for the MKVII, since my son will be driving next month, and thats that.
Just get the one you like, and as long as nobody gets hurt or killed, live with no regrets, go get laid or smoke up, its just a car after all.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I just got my 2014 Mk6 a week ago and am totally happy that it's not the MK7. I for one, in my own opinion, do not dig the new look one bit. Maybe over time it will grow on me, but for now, again... just MHO, the MK6 is the best looking GTI of them all.

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
I just got my 2014 Mk6 a week ago and am totally happy that it's not the MK7. I for one, in my own opinion, do not dig the new look one bit. Maybe over time it will grow on me, but for now, again... just MHO, the MK6 is the best looking GTI of them all.

Same, I'm not exactly sold on the design. I've been in an Mk7 GTI, it just doesn't feel like an Mk6. Feels much lighter, more like a Japanese car of this class in some ways. The Mk6 feels so much more solid and well built, not like a tin box.

McQueen77

Banned
^^ if i have similar impressions when i check out the new one, it will immediately be struck from the list. maybe it felt this way because mexico? who knows. in any event, thats weak if its the case.