GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which is the best car wax

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
There is a simple answer to this Post Question. THERE ISNT ONE.

There is no such thing as a BEST anything. Its all matter of opinion, same applies to Gas, Oil, Wax, Cars. Bias is based on experience with past products (of which most people use incorrectly) and what they read online.

Want some good advice on waxing your car? here you go from a guy that used to detail cars professionally.

1) always use a high quality soap with paint conditioners. Not so much for paint, though it does help, it helps condition the plastic and rubber seals around glass, etc. Always wash from top to bottom, and if the car is very dirty use a pre wash first. Use a high quality Microfiber towel or mit with a debris guard in the bucket.

2) clay bar your car 1-2 times a year if needed.

3) Use a quality Paint Sealant of your choice that has a UV block in it. Then follow up with a Carnuba based wax also with a UV block in it.

4) wash your car every week, use a spray wax like "Wax as U Dry" in between waxings.

5) if your car sits out, Wax once a month, spray wax every week, re seal every 3 months.

6) NEVER EVER GO THROUGH AUTOMATIC CAR WASHES

That pretty much somes it up. Everything else is just personal preference and choice. The most important thing is How OFTEN you wax, Not always what you use. Frequency is the key, unless your car is a garage queen.

Just my ten cents.

:wosschilder980:

Jeff

danrazzaqi

Ready to race!
I'm looking to pick up a sealant and while I'm typically a Chemical Guys fan I was looking to try something new. I was thinking of either AutoFinesse's PowerSeal, Chemical Guys JetSeal or really anything you guys want to recommend. Only thing is it must be durable. So ideally something that lasts 4months.

Definitely try AmmoNYC :thumbsup:

Been using Larry's regimens and ive had really good results

http://www.ammonyc.com/regimens/

http://www.youtube.com/user/AMMONYCdotcom

Last edited:

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
Ok I boiled it down to a couple sealants

1.Black Fire Wet Diamond
2.Autoglym SRP
3.Collinite 845?
4.Autofinesse Power Seal

Durability is my number one concern, with shine being second.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Ok I boiled it down to a couple sealants

1.Black Fire Wet Diamond
2.Autoglym SRP
3.Collinite 845?
4.Autofinesse Power Seal

Durability is my number one concern, with shine being second.

If that is the case then Colinite is your choice, though 845 is good, they do have products that are more durable than the 845. Like 915, I like 845 because its easier to use. Though, I do not consider it a "sealant" its more like a very durable wax. It has high concentrations of carnuba, but even with that I apply it monthly. If your car is garaged it may last longer. I yet have seen a wax beed water as good as collinite and will put its durabilty up against anything on the market (wax). As for sealants? Oh boy I wont go there dont want to jack the thread.

Just keep it simple, stick to something you like, dont be afraid to try new stuff, but whatever you use, just use it often.

Jeff

Nitron

Ready to race!
I also like Meguair's Tech Wax. Cost effective, smells great and gives a good duration of protection. I'm kind of a believer that wax is wax, although to be fair I've never tried any of the "high end" waxes.

I also use this wax for the reasons you've mentioned.

But I believe my biggest advantage is being able to park in a garage while at home or at work. Limiting unnecessary UV exposure seems to be a underrated method of keeping your paint healthy looking.

4fit

I'm a Wolfgang fan myself. I haven't had the GTI long enough to give it a full detail, but that is pretty much all I used on my '01 Bullitt. WG Total Swirl Remover, WG Finishing Glaze polish (only used if there is micro-marring from the TSR), 2 coats of Deep Gloss Paint Sealant (24 hours apart), topped 24 hours later with Poorboys Nattys Blue carnuba paste wax. This combo works amazingly on metallic paint. However, as has been mentioned, the carnuba wax doesn't last very long, but works great for that extra pop for cruise-ins and shows. The sealant lasts for months however.

I don't have any close up pics, but here are a couple of the B with this combo.

Last edited:

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I'm a Wolfgang fan myself. I haven't had the GTI long enough to give it a full detail, but that is pretty much all I used on my '01 Bullitt. WG Total Swirl Remover, WG Finishing Glaze polish (only used if there is micro-marring from the TSR), 2 coats of Deep Gloss Paint Sealant (24 hours apart), topped 24 hours later with Poorboys Nattys Blue carnuba paste wax. This combo works amazingly on metallic paint. However, as has been mentioned, the carnuba wax doesn't last very long, but works great for that extra pop for cruise-ins and shows. The sealant lasts for months however.

I don't have any close up pics, but here are a couple of the B with this combo.

as beautiful as it is, is WAY too much work for most. If the car isn't driven much, and is garaged, and this process(being multiple layers, and multiple products) is done ocassionally I can see it, but honestly, where some folks live? including myself? The car would look this good for about 15 minutes. Example, yesterday we had a 55mph sand storm, even if your car was garaged it got toasted. Get me?? You have to be realistic too sometimes. Looking good, vs. your enviroment and such. Cant believe I am saying that, but after 20+ yrs of detailing cars, its just true.

I love a good looking car, but if your car sits out, you live at an apartment, or have no garage, don't have much free time, ^^^^ set up isn't for you IMO.

Jeff

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
I also use this wax for the reasons you've mentioned.

But I believe my biggest advantage is being able to park in a garage while at home or at work. Limiting unnecessary UV exposure seems to be a underrated method of keeping your paint healthy looking.

While NXT 2.0 does look good the problem is longevity. The lifespan is shorter than caranuba wax. I have found that Pete's 53 which is a caranuba lasts about 1.5month. NXT on the other hand lasts only until the next wash which is two weeks :laugh:

So my conclusion is NXT 2.0t is a great topper. So throw some on before a meet, show, etc. but, you better have some sealant under it.

Also yes parking indoors does help.

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
as beautiful as it is, is WAY too much work for most. If the car isn't driven much, and is garaged, and this process(being multiple layers, and multiple products) is done ocassionally I can see it, but honestly, where some folks live? including myself? The car would look this good for about 15 minutes. Example, yesterday we had a 55mph sand storm, even if your car was garaged it got toasted. Get me?? You have to be realistic too sometimes. Looking good, vs. your enviroment and such. Cant believe I am saying that, but after 20+ yrs of detailing cars, its just true.

I love a good looking car, but if your car sits out, you live at an apartment, or have no garage, don't have much free time, ^^^^ set up isn't for you IMO.

Jeff

I agree I'm honestly getting sick of detailing my car. It looks great until my next drive. So I spent one whole day to have the car look good for a couple hours. I'm getting to the point where I am thinking forget the glazes, polishes etc. Just clay and put on sealant end of story.

4fit

Jeff
Actually, that car sat under a carport that is open front and rear and doesn't go all the way down on the sides. But it definitely wasn't a DD. Is it quite a bit of work? Yes. But I did that whole process 2 times a year; before show season and after. The rest of the time, the car was simply maintained with Duragloss AquaWax. I would hit it with a light coat of the Nattys Blue a couple days before shows though.

FWIW, I plan to do the same routine on the GTI and it will see more miles in a year than the Bullitt saw in 3.5 years. And, like the B, it will be maintained with DG AquaWax. For those that haven't heard of or tried this product, track it down and give it a shot. It is a spray sealant and is amazing. Its actually made in my home town of Burlington, NC.:w00t:

But you are correct, this procedure definitely isn't for everyone. It is a lot of work. It's up to the owner to decide if it is worth it or not.

TewFoxy

Ready to race!
I used Zaino for two years and just switched over to Chemical Guys Glossworks shampoo, Blacklight, Pete's 53 carnauba wax product line. I will see how low Cg products hold up so far the gloss is spectacular like Zaino (less plastic looking like Zaino made it look like).

The Zaino products would last for at least 6 months with floss & constant beading of water. Very glossy feel too at least 4 months.

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
I used Zaino for two years and just switched over to Chemical Guys Glossworks shampoo, Blacklight, Pete's 53 carnauba wax product line. I will see how low Cg products hold up so far the gloss is spectacular like Zaino (less plastic looking like Zaino made it look like).

The Zaino products would last for at least 6 months with floss & constant beading of water. Very glossy feel too at least 4 months.

That's my exact base combo. Pete's 53 looks stunning but, it does not last any longer than 1.5 months. You really need to use sealant before throwing on Pete's.

BMWWW

Passed Driver's Ed
While NXT 2.0 does look good the problem is longevity. The lifespan is shorter than caranuba wax. I have found that Pete's 53 which is a caranuba lasts about 1.5month. NXT on the other hand lasts only until the next wash which is two weeks :laugh:

So my conclusion is NXT 2.0t is a great topper. So throw some on before a meet, show, etc. but, you better have some sealant under it.

Also yes parking indoors does help.

If you're a meguiar's fan, you gotta track some Meguiar #16 wax. I think I still have a tin of it somewhere... lasts just as long as Collinite 845 for me, as well as the Zaino's.

I enjoyed Zaino. Wasn't too fond of the layering-methodology, but I deifnitely liked using Z-CS (their wipe on, walk away LSP)--no need to buff off.