Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Hookers

Votes: 10 9.0%

• Total voters

RABBIT FUR

Ready to race!

miami90

Ready to race!
I did. From previous VWs I've owned, I thought it was a must. And considering I've had two issues and barely 16k miles on it already, I'm glad I did.

McQueen77

Banned
My sentiments exactly.

when i started modding the car I cancelled and got my money back on mine. I think they are waste of money unless you are certain you are keeping the car past the powertrain. Im selling mine now so it doesn't even matter. Its esp retarded to purchase one when you buy the car, at the dealer. The reality is that you have 3 years to purchase one and youll get 100 letters in the mail from VW saying 'your original powertrain warranty is about to expire' before you hit 3 years/36k giving you ample chance to purchase one if you so choose. So don't buy one in the beginning, rolling it into your auto loan, raising your payment and most likely paying interest on it. Bad idea.

miami90

Ready to race!
Your factory warranty would have covered those repairs.

Yes it would have, but once I hit 36k miles, the extended warranty will be more expensive than if I bought it earlier. The older the car will get, the more likely something will happen to it.

sethdude

Pobody's Nerfect.
Yes it would have, but once I hit 36k miles, the extended warranty will be more expensive than if I bought it earlier. The older the car will get, the more likely something will happen to it.

My car has 55k miles. It owes me $100 for coils and plugs. Your car has 16k miles on it. It owes you $2,500, and nothing has gone wrong that wasn't covered by VW.

I used to sell these warranties. They are extremely profitable for the dealership and companies that underwrite them. The only person that won't make money is you. You will lose money. I promise.

I suggest you cash out your pro-rate (required by law, so these products aren't considered a scam), put the cash in the bank, and avoid such scams in the future.

miami90

Ready to race!
My car has 55k miles. It owes me $100 for coils and plugs. Your car has 16k miles on it. It owes you $2,500, and nothing has gone wrong that wasn't covered by VW.

I used to sell these warranties. They are extremely profitable for the dealership and companies that underwrite them. The only person that won't make money is you. You will lose money. I promise.

I suggest you cash out your pro-rate (required by law, so these products aren't considered a scam), put the cash in the bank, and avoid such scams in the future.

It's peace of mind. Your car has 55k miles and nothing has happened to your car. That's great. I'm not taking the risk when my warranty goes out.

People can drive 90k miles without a HPFP issue or a cracked water pump, some get it at 19k miles. Some get it a couple of days after factory warranty goes out. It only adds a couple of dollars a month to my payments, not that big of a deal to me.

steemax

Go Kart Champion
I did... negotiated the 80k mile warranty down to $1250.00 and i already used it at 38,800 miles for a burnt fuse box... worth it for me as my dealer is mod friendly.

jni3

Ready to race!
I bought mine CPO with 40k miles and got the 7yr/100k extended as well. 8k miles later I needed a new engine, I think I made the right decision buying an extended warranty...

good for you. and some don't believe the extended warranty is worth it. I've always gotten it and used it numerous times. it's the not fact that i'm betting my car will break, it's more like knowing that the service guy can't try to pull a fast one on me. there's nothing like seeing the service reps face when he has an expensive fix to do and he tells you your three year old car is out of warranty then you let him know you have the extended warranty.

46defense

Passed Driver's Ed
I usually stay away from them personally, but when I was offered one on my
$50,000 335i for $1450 to 100,000 miles I jumped on it!

sethdude

Pobody's Nerfect.
I usually stay away from them personally, but when I was offered one on my
$50,000 335i for $1450 to 100,000 miles I jumped on it!

That's one car that's pretty much gauranteed to need 2 turbos and 3 HPFPs before 100,000 miles. At the price you paid, you may have created an exception to my rule.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
No way such a waste of money. The dealer tried to tach that onto me when buying the car and since I am going to tune it, i see no point on paying 3k for a warranty that they possibly will not cover everything on.

I'm in this camp. Why do you think dealers sell extended warranties? To make profit. If they're making profit that means more people than not are losing money on the warranty purchase. I'll probably be in something else by 60k miles regardless and anything outside of the powertrain wouldn't be catastrophic.

All that said I'm still a bit bummed that my bumper to bumper will be gone in the next month. I'm at 34.5k miles..... I've yet to make a single warranty claim though.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
It certainly bothers me that my bumper to bumper is up as well.
I just know that my water pump is going to fail now.

In any event, I won't be bringing my car to the dealership when it comes to repairs out of warranty.
I've got a reputable repair shop who's really straightforward.
I'll go to them if I have any problems.

CW12

Ready to race!
It certainly bothers me that my bumper to bumper is up as well.
I just know that my water pump is going to fail now.

In any event, I won't be bringing my car to the dealership when it comes to repairs out of warranty.
I've got a reputable repair shop who's really straightforward.
I'll go to them if I have any problems.

Exactly, even if you did what is a water pump job? Maybe $400 or so, which is still 1/5 of the warranty price. The only time it would pay off on a car like this is a complete engine or tranny job.