GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Serpentine Belt change

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Anyone know of a DIY for the TSI belt? Anyone know when it should be done?

I did search, but it goes by so many different names depending... Serpentine belt, accessory belt, etc. nothing seems to pop up results for me.

Thanks!

crashdb

Go Kart Champion
I doubt there's any set interval for replacement. Belts nowadays last quite a while. The best way to examine the belt is to look at the ribbed surface and look for cracks. My limit is typically cracks every 1/4".

For changing, I'm going to make an educated guess. Typically you move the tensioner using a ratchet or wrench (depends on what VW decided to use). Moving the tensioner will remove tension from the belt and allow you to pull it from the pulleys. Just be sure you look to see how it's routed. Replacement is reverse.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
OK thanks; I know the basics but I've never done a belt before so just going for peace of mind mainly; and the ECS tuning kit comes with a new tensioner as well, so looks like it gets replaced. ;)

My 09 GTI is at 100K; usually even with modern belts they are either 100K or 120K; but our GTI didn't come with a manual so I don't have a service schedule for it.

NolaGTI

Ready to race!
Time for a thread revival, noticed a squeal today and found the belt to be quite loose. Going to check the tensioner tomorrow as well as belt condition when there is better light. Any DYI stuff pop up over the last year that Google hasn't found for me? Seems like no matter what I search for the results mostly are for the timing belt.

Rolling_GTI

Ready to race!
If you look at the tensioner there is a square hole in the center of the pulley. Put a ratchet in there and turn. This relieves belt tension, then you can change it.

NolaGTI

Ready to race!
Well it appears the belt needs replaced, but it isn't cracked or anything, instead a thin piece came off in a perfect circle. You can see the piece in the picture. Also if you look at the black plastic pulley you will see a bunch of built up burnt rubber. That is the tensioner correct? I don't see the spot to put a wrench.

NolaGTI

Ready to race!
Okay, hopefully the pic shows up this time

NolaGTI

Ready to race!

NolaGTI

Ready to race!

NolaGTI

Ready to race!
BTW, unlike the mk5 the mk6 you use the 17mm nut on the pulley wheel to rotate the assembly. Just have to figure out how to remove it now. Hopefully seeing the replacement part in person will make that step clear.