GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Go stg 2 or get a DSG tune?

AW in a VW

Ready to race!
I had my car tuned stage 1 when Uni started doing port flashing but have already gotten used to it and am thinking about my next mod. The thing is I cant decide if I should go stage 2 (Uni) or get a DSG tune. What have yall done or what do you recommend and why. Thanks in advance.

Antimatter

Ready to race!
You should be able to go stage 2 for much cheaper than a DSG tune. If it wasn't for the added noise (DSG farts) of stage 2, I would go with a DSG tune. The noise alone was worth it for me. I had so much fun driving right after I installed my down pipe and went stage 2.

However, the performance difference between stage 1 and 2 was nowhere near the difference between stock and stage 1.

AW in a VW

Ready to race!
You should be able to go stage 2 for much cheaper than a DSG tune. If it wasn't for the added noise (DSG farts) of stage 2, I would go with a DSG tune. The noise alone was worth it for me. I had so much fun driving right after I installed my down pipe and went stage 2.

However, the performance difference between stage 1 and 2 was nowhere near the difference between stock and stage 1.

So you went stg 2 for DSG farts? I am aware that stg 2 will not have the wow factor that stage one did. But, I too like the DSG fart sound. Did you get a catted or de cat DP?

Also, how bad was the install? Is it an all day thing or just a few hours, some curse words and a cold beer?

Last edited:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
stage 2.

Locke

Ready to race!
I went Stage 2 a month ago, so I'll obviously recommend the route I just chose. Love the sound, the more linear throttle response, and the additional top end power.

The price difference favors Stage 2, as you can find a used downpipe for around $350. The install isn't too bad, I sourced enough info from this site to swap my downpipes. It was my first major DIY work: previously I've only done an intake and wheel rotations.

I must add that I've never fully understood the allure of a DSG tune, for the price. I get that it's strange that our cars shift a little after 2k RPM, but it's shifting for fuel economy. For spirited driving, pop that sucker over to manual and let er rip.

AW in a VW

Ready to race!
I went Stage 2 a month ago, so I'll obviously recommend the route I just chose. Love the sound, the more linear throttle response, and the additional top end power.

The price difference favors Stage 2, as you can find a used downpipe for around $350. The install isn't too bad, I sourced enough info from this site to swap my downpipes. It was my first major DIY work: previously I've only done an intake and wheel rotations.

I must add that I've never fully understood the allure of a DSG tune, for the price. I get that it's strange that our cars shift a little after 2k RPM, but it's shifting for fuel economy. For spirited driving, pop that sucker over to manual and let er rip.

I dont really care about fuel economy it just feels like its shifting way to early in D. Either way, I'm leaning towards stg 2 with a cheap or used DP.

R0bL0gic

Ready to race!
Stage 2...

Antimatter

Ready to race!

Yeah it definitely pulls harder above 4.5k. That was the biggest change I noticed.

I got lucky, but I found a catted 42DD downpipe for $140. Went stage 2 for less than $200. It's not a hard install at all if you have the right tools.

And yeah I agree with people getting the DSG tune just for improved "D" mode driving. Shift for yourself! I'm in manual mode 99% of the time.

09GTIJOE

Go Kart Champion
i vote dsg tune. you drive your car normally going to work running out to the store etc etc. stage will put a few more HP's and TQ's numbers but I would consider drivability something you would benefit more.

when I was stage 2 and got my dsg tuned the difference was night and day, driving was so much easier in traffic.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion

totally agree. go stg2 and keep the stock DSG software (farts). Just use manual mode instead of D, plus stock SPORT mode works alot better with the higher rev torque curve of stg2 stan Stg1. I ended up not wanting to do DSG flash anymore after going Stg2 cause the new louder farts are INTOXICATING :thumbup:

Randum

Go Kart Champion
Yeah Stage 2, and if you want higher shift points, just go manual. D-mode is reserved for non-spirited driving IMO.

And DSG farts, never, never gets old....love it.