GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replacement shift plate?

DekeTurbo

Ready to race!
Hey guys wondering if anyone knows where I could possibly get a replacement shift panel (like this one http://www.flickr.com/photos/redwingsgoalie/14657288516/in/photostream/ )

As you can see from the picture I had painted it because it was scratched and the original paint was flaking off. So I sanded it down and repainted it but apparently using a heat gun to help dry it was stupid because it warped and now I can't use it. I've been trying to find a regular plastic replacement but I'm not having much luck. All I see are very expensive carbon fiber replacements. Does anyone know where I can get just a plain plastic black one? Or hell I'd take a used one I need to paint (I just won't use the heat gun this time :D )

-DT

Last edited:

DekeTurbo

Ready to race!
get the part number off of it and do some searching.

I've been looking. Looks like my only solution is to either buy a whole new shift assembly which is about 500 bucks or get a Carbon Fiber replacement. Not really a fan of carbon fiber but it seems to be the cheaper of the two solutions. I was hoping the local junk yard might have it since they have 2010 GTI but apparently it's a stick not an automatic.

Thanks though!

-DT

Uberryan

Banned
Check ebay, there's a few on there made with better material for $80-90.

zrickety

The Fixer
Or a junkyard. VW is too smart to sell it separately.

DekeTurbo

Ready to race!
Hey guys thanks for the help. Looks like I have a few options and I found a couple of other places that do full dash kits so I've been considering that too.

-DT

Randum

Go Kart Champion
Wanted to bring this thread back - did you find a good solution? I noticed I have two small marks of the paint coming up! Going to drive me completely insane...

zrickety

The Fixer
Sanded and painted mine.

corydd

Go Kart Champion
Scratched the shit out of mine a while ago. Ended up getting a carbon fiber vinyl overlay from DeAutokey for $20. I'm not a huge fan of fake carbon, but all of the other options were way more expensive and it actually looks pretty good.