GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dude's R Build

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Not much in the way of mods going on... But I'm always thinking of what else I can do which is pretty much:
- Stage 3
- add some alcantara bits to the interior to match the steering wheel
- Euro recaro's
- RNS 510
- Haldex controller

I've held off on anything big because I've been toying around with getting a mk7 but lack of 2dr sunroof option is a major buzzkill for me. I'd almost rather have a 2dr sunroof reflex silver PP GTI but that's a tough proposition after having AWD.

Anyway, still enjoying my R and still enjoying seeing what everyone else is doing to theirs:beer:

She did well in the recent snowstorm where we got 30+ inches. Got me to the slopes in absolutely treacherous conditions. Little vid my gf took on the drive to the mountain:

http://youtu.be/gLWPRzFutOo

Here she sits in the parking lot at my local ski area after a great day of skiing:

On the way home from the slopes she did get stuck at the entrance to my neighborhood due to bottoming out in close to 2ft of snow. Had to use my ski pole to break up all the compacted snow under the car to break her free. Luckily a plow came by shortly after so I could make it down my street. Still had to shovel through a 4 ft wall of snow to even get in my driveway. Crazy day.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
sweet vid, wish i could drive in those conditions sometime.

shdwblugti

Go Kart Champion
Not much in the way of mods going on... But I'm always thinking of what else I can do which is pretty much:
- Stage 3
- Euro recaro's
- RNS 510
- Haldex controller

I've held off on anything big because I've been toying around with getting a mk7 but lack of 2dr sunroof option is a major buzzkill for me. I'd almost rather have a 2dr sunroof reflex silver PP GTI but that's a tough proposition after having AWD.

Anyway, still enjoying my R and still enjoying seeing what everyone else is doing to theirs:beer:

She did well in the recent snowstorm where we got 30+ inches. Got me to the slopes in absolutely treacherous conditions. Little vid my gf took on the drive to the mountain:

Here she sits in the parking lot at my local ski area after a great day of skiing:

On the way home from the slopes she did get stuck at the entrance to my neighborhood due to bottoming out in close to 2ft of snow. Had to use my ski pole to break up all the compacted snow under the car to break her free. Luckily a plow came by shortly after so I could make it down my street. Still had to shovel through a 4 ft wall of snow to even get in my driveway. Crazy day.

Test drive one to see how it handles :iono:

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Test drive one to see how it handles :iono:
I already know they handle great... well, not PP editions specifically... but, yeah man, mk7 gti's handle very nicely and I am no stranger to the subtle nuances of throttle modulation in 1st/2nd in various weather conditions on the gti. Part of it is how much financial sense does it make and what is the value proposition going from a car modded the way I want with AWD to a fresh slate with FWD.

McQueen77

Banned
- Stage 3
- Euro recaro's
- RNS 510
- Haldex controller

http://youtu.be/gLWPRzFutOo

Sweet video brotools. I would kill a man for a few days of weather like that. Such hype re: the big el nino that was supposed to happen down here. It basically amounted to 3 days of rain and now we are back to endless sun and drought.

Stage 3. Were you always stage 3? Thats rad. I haven't read back on your thread but I am glad to see you stuck with your R and just kept making it more badass. I am still in this total car purgatory where I am just finishing off my time in the 320 and where I am not willing to spend money on it or make it faster or better because I am just going to turn it in. So that is super sweet and totally boring.

Alright then.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Sweet video brotools. I would kill a man for a few days of weather like that. Such hype re: the big el nino that was supposed to happen down here. It basically amounted to 3 days of rain and now we are back to endless sun and drought.

Stage 3. Were you always stage 3? Thats rad. I haven't read back on your thread but I am glad to see you stuck with your R and just kept making it more badass. I am still in this total car purgatory where I am just finishing off my time in the 320 and where I am not willing to spend money on it or make it faster or better because I am just going to turn it in. So that is super sweet and totally boring.

Alright then.

Thanks man. No not stage 3 yet... that's just one of the few possibilities going forward:thumbsup:

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Just turned over 90k miles. I was planning on doing fluid swaps myself but it's cold so the R is at Nothing Leaves Stock for a brake fluid, Haldex fluid, oil change. I'll be having the timing belt done this summer.

I think I found the next two mods for the R: lighter control arms and UM Haldex flash. Still deciding between Passat aluminum or something like the ones offered by SuperPro.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Just installed the HPA Short Shift (front to back) lever, which is replacing the Spulen piece and will be operating with the Spulen side-to-side lever for the time being. After a quick test drive I am very happy I did. The beefier counter-weight on the HPA piece makes a big difference in feel and that is exactly what I was going for. The throws on the Spulen were already shorter than stock by 40% (so they say) and shorter than the VWR Kit I had before that by 15%. Yes this is my fourth short shifter counting the factory one. I can easily say that if had gone this route first that I would have had no need to look further. The shifting feels much more solid now and the throws are right where I want them.

Weird thing was that when I first got in there I noticed the retention clip must have popped off of the front-to-back endlink and who the hell knows how long I've been driving around like that. I did get momentarily locked out of 3rd in a downshift a week or so ago but couldn't replicate it... Wonder if this is why...

Anyway, time for good beer.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Just a 95k update...

Had timing belt done at dealer and replaced water pump with an aftermarket one that has a metal impeller.

Also, had them put the summer wheels back on. I would have done myself but the last guy to touch them must have torqued the bolts down with the strength of Hercules. Unreal. Also, had them put on some new rubber. Even though my re71r's had tons of tread left, I replaced them with my go-to summer tire: Michilin PSS. The re71r's gripped like hell but the ripping velcro sound they made while driving around town was unbearable. So if anyone want a set of used re71r's to beat up on for cheap hit me up.

Within the next two weeks I'll be changing oil, plugs, coils, and cam follower when I have time. Also have some rock chips to fill in from the brutal winter. Might knock the oil out tonight if I decide to be anti-social on a Friday:laugh:

Cheers:beer:

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
most likely that top level gasket, and not the lower one. i think thats what those engines had..