GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anybody running 245/40/17 or 245/35/18? [Function]

jshay

Go Kart Champion
If so, what wheels specs are you running and what kind of camber specs are you at?

I'm currently running 235/45/17 on a 8.5 +45 but want to switch over to 245s to run RS3 tires.

The front seems like it'll fit just fine but the rear is the one I'm worried about. It seems like I'll need to run excessive camber for it to fit.

Thanks!

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
I think Andre the one in SoCal with the big turbo is running 245 tires. I forgot his name on here but he could be of help.

By the way how did you fit 235 tires on a 8.5" with out any rubbing? Does the Gli have fenders like the a4 and cc and stuff?

jshay

Go Kart Champion
235 is actually fairly easy to fit. I use to run 235/45/17 on a 17x8 +45. Now i run it on a 17x8.5 +45. I run -1 camber front and -1.5 camber in the rear. I've never had any issues with rubbing even with 4 people in the car + luggage.

shaikhasm

Passed Driver's Ed
I have 245/40R17 on 17x8 ET45 wheels. I have the DG springs and fits fine with the stock alignment. I didn't take it to autoX or a track but on the streets no rubbing so far

Kei_Loper

Ready to race!
I have 245/40R17 on 17x8 ET45 wheels. I have the DG springs and fits fine with the stock alignment. I didn't take it to autoX or a track but on the streets no rubbing so far
Would you get a picture of how that, especially sits from the rear of the car and front straight on. That's the size I've been really wondering if any how it would fit, and I'm on the same size wheel and offset as you now.[emoji481]
Kei

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I've ran up to 255/40/17 on the MK6, but this was at stock height. This rubs at steering lock to the front of the fender well(where the foglight cover is) and a bit on the inner rear side of the front fender.

17x8 ET46 wheels.

FWIW 245/40/17 will be much easier to clear in any case since its actually a shorter tire than stock.

SuperSkyline891

Passed Driver's Ed
I ran 245/35-ZR18 Michelin PSS and now run 245/40-ZR18 Hankook R-S3's on my MkV. The wheels are 18x8.5 et45 and I'm running 2 degrees of camber up front and 1.5 out back. The only time it rubs right now is when I take a highway ramp at 120km/h with people in the back and hit an expansion joint. The rear just touches so I'm going to install camber arms to bring it to 2 degrees like the front. I haven't experienced any rub at the track or while autocrossing which is where my car spends most of its time.

Last edited:

jshay

Go Kart Champion
I ran 245/35-ZR18 Michelin PSS and now run 245/40-ZR18 Hankook R-S3's on my MkV. The wheels are 18x8.5 et45 and I'm running 2 degrees of camber up front and 1.5 out back. The only time it rubs right now is when I take a highway ramp at 120km/h with people in the back and hit an expansion joint. The rear just touches so I'm going to install camber arms to bring it to 2 degrees like the front. I haven't experienced any rub at the track or while autocrossing which is where my car spends most of its time.

Wow you're running 8.5 +45 TEs also. Ha this example is perfect. Thank you man. :happyanim: I'm wondering if running a more aggressive camber spec would eliminate the rubbing. Maybe something like -2.5F/-2R. My fronts are slightly rolled and they look like they'll handle 245s just fine but the rears really cause some problems since you can't really roll them and it's only pulling/flaring.

SuperSkyline891

Passed Driver's Ed
Oh, cool, I always get a kick out of seeing JDM wheels on a German car. Are you running any camber right now?

My fronts tuck into the stock fenders perfectly with 2 degrees, even with the taller tires. The only thing I had to do was remove the fender screw and bend the liner behind the fender lip.

This is the best picture I have of the rear fitment, it's almost perfect but I really need another 0.5 degrees to match the front to get it just right.

Last edited:

Kei_Loper

Ready to race!
I had no problem running 245/40/17s on stock denvers and DG springs
Happen to have any pics we can see to show fitment from the front and rear? Did you have to do anything to avoid rubbing at all? I have DG springs right now, probably going to change them out again for something track ready, but not sure yet. Very interested in this setup...

Oh, cool, I always get a kick out of seeing JDM wheels on a German car. Are you running any camber right now?

My fronts tuck into the stock fenders perfectly with 2 degrees, even with the taller tires. The only thing I had to do was remove the fender screw and bend the liner behind the fender lip.

This is the best picture I have of the rear fitment, it's almost perfect but I really need another 0.5 degrees to match the front to get it just right.

Thanks for posting those pics[emoji481]
Kei

jshay

Go Kart Champion

I'm running -1.1/-1.4F and -1.5F. I definitely want to get some camber plates soon though.

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
Happen to have any pics we can see to show fitment from the front and rear? Did you have to do anything to avoid rubbing at all? I have DG springs right now, probably going to change them out again for something track ready, but not sure yet. Very interested in this setup...

Thanks for posting those pics[emoji481]
Kei

I didnt take many high quality pictures of it, but plan on using them again for a few events in May. I did the fender screw mod a long time ago when I first installed my springs, other than that I just mounted the wheels and went ahead as is

SuperSkyline891

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm running -1.1/-1.4F and -1.5F. I definitely want to get some camber plates soon though.

A little more camber should do it, when I was on stock suspension my wheels poked by ~8mm and it would rub at autocross but it's good now. I have the Integrated Engineering plates, they make a little noise since they eliminate the rubber top mounts but I'm very happy with them.

stiness101

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm running a reverse stagger setup with 245/40/17 front and 225/45/17 rear on 17x9 +45 RPF1's. I have -2.5 degrees upfront with -2.2 degrees rear camber to reduce any sort of rubbing. I couldn't run the 245/40 on a 9 in the rear without running around -3+ camber, it would just rub. In all honesty I could probably even dial out a little bit more rear camber with the 225's and not have any rubbing, I was just making sure it wouldn't.